Author Topic: Vanishing Relatives  (Read 5663 times)

Offline northernsearcher

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing Relatives
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Actually I think I want to cry or scream............. I have just tried to get info from  www.familysearch.org but, probably because I am doing it wrong I can't find anything. Why am I so inept?
Please help.
Jen

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
As Sillgen is now offline, I thought I'd answer you.

You probably aren't inept (in fact, I'm sure you aren't  :D ). 

Perhaps you aren't looking on the pilot site of family search, the two parts are linked, but sometimes it's not easy to go from one part to the other.

Both I and my computer are having an inept attack at the moment, so apologies if my post has been coming and going and generally not making sense.  :-[
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
The main familysearch.org site is the easiest to start with.  If you click on Search Records at the top then choose Advanced Search from the drop down list you get various options.   Your best bet at first is to go to the IGI (International Genealogical Index).  When you have that search box up you can specify which region, country and county you want to search in and that will make it easier.  You need to put two names in really otherwise you will get far too many matches.
The pilot site takes you into images of actual parish registers and is very useful - but better once you have an idea of dates and places from the original IGI.  I could not get into from the link below either.  Try this one
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1;p=allCollections
Again - specify which area you want.   Neither site is full coverage but they are a start.
Andrea

Offline northernsearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 July 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone, jorose, sillgen and alpinecottage, I gave up last night out of sheer frustration but I will try all your tips later today and let you know how I get on.  Thanks again.
Jen

Offline skiprat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 January 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

my name is Kim and i think we must be distantly related. My gt gt grandmother was Elizabeth Bluett, my gt grandmother was Lilian Linskey.

I have just unearthed a newspaper article in regard to Elizabeth's death that may be of interest to you. She died from injuries sustained from an earlier 'fall' from a window in her home in Water Lane, Durham. However, her youngest child, Martin aka Lingard maintained she was pushed by her husband and it seems at the inquest he was under suspision although cleared.

I haven't got far with the Bluett line at all and was wandering if you had any info? All i know is she father was John.

I also have a photos of Elizabeth Bluett, Elizabeth Peacock nee Mullaney, Lillian, Nora, Florence & Lingard Linskey if they are of interest to you, but I'll forewarn you i'm a bit of a technophobe so it make take some time.

Regards,

Kim

Offline northernsearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kim, Just read your message. Thank you for your information and post.  I do have info I will share  and would love to see your pictures.  Give me a day or two and I will get it all together.
Jen

Offline skiprat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Cheers

Offline skiprat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

my mam has asked me to ask you if you know of another sibling called Tom? Her gran, Lillian used to talk about him dying in the army from eating some odd "bully beef" which she tells me is corned beef.

My mam had never heard of the half siblings until i started researching apart from "our Lizzie" who she corresponded with.

My full tree is on Genes Reunited.

Thanks again,

Kim

Offline northernsearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

Here is some information I have about Elizabeth Bluett, you probably have a lot of it, so sorry if I am passing on things you already know.  Elizabeth wasn't John's daughter although she took his name later. I know very little about John Bluett. The only records that I can find which I am sure is him are the 1841c and his marriage to Elizabeth Yendall. John is living with Elizabeth and the two oldest children William and John in the Tiverton and Dulverton registration district. He is described as an ag lab. The family is living at Partips/Partrigs? Farm. His death record (if this is the right John Bluett) Text: Name:   John Blue_T [John Bluett] Date of Registration:   Jan-Feb-Mar 1844 Registration District:   Tiverton Inferred County:   Devonshire Volume:   10 Page:   224 Free BMD.

Elizabeth Jane Passmore (Bluett) was born on the 17th of September 1848 at Kings Brompton in the registration District of Tiverton and Dulverton Somerset. This means he died about 5yrs before Elizabeth was born.

On the 1851c Elizabeth age 2, living in Back Lane, Barnstaple, Devon with her mother who is calling herself Eliza Passmore and her father William Passmore. There are four older Bluett children: William age 13, John age11, Mary age 9 and Robert age 7. This is the only time Elizabeth is recorded as Passmore, by the time of the next census she is recorded as Elizabeth Jane Bluett. Her birth was, I think unusually, registered by her father William Passmore - he made his mark. On the record he states that the mother of the child is Elizabeth Passmore late Bluitt formerly Yandell. I can't find any record of a marriage between Elizabeth and William and however long the relationship lasted he is not with the family on the next census.

1861c Elizabeth Jane is living in Salop Street, Penarth, Glamorgan, Wales with her mother who is now Elizabeth Walters, her step father William Walters and half sister Mary Ann Bluett age 19. Elizabeth, age 12 is a lacemaker.

1863 On the 13th of December 1863, age 16, Elizabeth Jane Bluett and Patrick Mullaney married at the registry office in Stoke Damerel Devon. Rank or Profession ; Lace Maker Residence at time of marriage: 7, St John Street, Devonport Father’s Name and Surname; John Bluett (deceased) Father’s Rank or Profession; Gardener (journeyman) at Exeter, Devon. Elizabeth lied about her age on the marriage certificate, she was in fact 16 at the time of the marriage not 18 and a quarter as the certificate states.

1865 Birth of John Mullaney in Devonport
1866 Birth of Patrick Mullaney in Elizabeth Cork
1867 Birth of Robert Alfred Mullaney. On the 23rd of November 1867 Robert Alfred Mullaney was born in Church Road, Murston, Sub –district, Milton, Sittingbourne, Kent.
1871 Birth of Peter Mullaney Plymouth Devon
1873 Birth of Margaret Mullaney Plymouth Devon
1875 Birth of Elizabeth Mullaney Plymouth Devon

1871 this census records Elizabeth, Patrick and the children living at 1, Alice Street, Plymouth, Devon. The birthplace of the fourth child Peter (3 months old in census) is recorded as Plymouth. Rank or Profession (Elizabeth) Chair caning

Sometime after the birth of Elizabeth in 1875 the family moved to Durham.

William Patrick died on the 5th of April 1879 at 48, Long Row, Monkwearmouth. I don't know if Elizabeth and the children were living with him at the time but by the time of the 1881c she was living with William Linskey.

1881 this census records Elizabeth Linsky living at 16 Oak Street in Hedworth Monkton and Jarrow, South Shields, Durham. With William Linsky a coalminer b. 1852 in Winlaton, Durham. Elizabeth has "taken" William's name and given all the children the name of Linskey as well. Patrick, now age 15, and a coalminer; Robert, age 13, also a coalminer; Peter, age 10, a scholar, and two more children Margaret age 8 and Elizabeth age six. Both the girls are recorded as scholars. The two girls were born in Plymouth. John, Elizabeth and Patrick’s eldest son is not on the census but there is a possible record for John in 1881. Living at the Barracks, Barrack St, Sunderland, Durham, John is a Private. (RG11; Piece: 5001; Folio: 25; Page: 43) Everyone on the census record has the name Linsky but I think it is safe to assume that all the children living with Elizabeth and William at this time are Patrick’s children. The younger of the two girls, Elizabeth, was born about 1875 and that would put the Mullaney family still in Plymouth until after this date.

1891 by the time of this census Elizabeth is living at 3, Railway Row, Heworth Durham. None of the six Mullaney children are living at this address. Elizabeth has three children, Florence N Linskey age 8, born 1883 in Washington, Nora A Linskey age 4 b. 1887 in Sunderland and Lillian F Linskey age 1 b. Jarrow.

Elizabeth married William in 1893 at Gateshead in Durham.

The 1901 census record for Elizabeth, age 52, has her living in Elvet Durham with William and five children. All Linskey children, the youngest is 5. William's occupation is recorded as; Common Lodging house Keeper.

I have a couple of certificates I can send you if you would like them and I would love to see the newspaper article.
Jenny