Author Topic: Blairdrummond Cemetery  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Blairdrummond Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
I was intrigued by the part legible inscription on this headstone at Blairdrummond cemetery yesterday.

Did he really deplore his relatives.

Shame that the stone is being slowly consumed and the sentiment will be lost forever.

Cheers
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blairdrummond Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
Love it Fergie!!  ;D   ;D

Makes you wonder if the folk who had the inscription done could read and could appreciate the senitiments?

I bet the stonemason had a good laugh!!

Anne

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
I must admit that when I first saw I could hardly  believe what I was reading.
I wonder if the full inscriptipon will be on a MI book
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 July 10 08:06 BST (UK) »
If it's included in any of the Mitchell's 'Pre-1855' Booklets then it's doubtful if the whole thing will be included.

They abbreviated wherever possible, so even although this one is unique, I don't think it would be there unless somebody with a copy of Perthshire can enlighten us.

Maybe a Family History Society have transcribed Blairdrummond?

Anne

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to read that stone several times Fergie! Really annoying that it is behind railings so you can't get up really close to it. It is not mentioned in the MI book...
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean Vair. I've been sorely tempted to find a way in with a stiff brush.

I have been reading part of the text as 'The ashes of His' but is the word really 'ashes ???
It would be interesting to find the story behind this stone.

Cheers.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
At the top it says "David Downie died in 1806" then it is illegible until " has thus had enclosed the ashes of his deeply deplored relations 1813"

The railings are pretty high - but maybe I could chuck my son over the top and let him have a go at it! At this stage, nothing would surprise him .... :o ;D

There seem to have been Downies in Kincardine since 1690's - but I can't find a David.
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 November 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
PS
Having a cremation would have been pretty radical in those days, wouldnt it? Was it not frowned upon right up until Victorian times?

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 November 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
PS
Having a cremation would have been pretty radical in those days, wouldnt it? Was it not frowned upon right up until Victorian times?
That's what made me doubt 'ashes'