Author Topic: photographers in leicester  (Read 17755 times)

Offline Buffy901

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: photographers in leicester
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 August 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yup very proud of him...bless! Have only just in the last week started researching my family tree so am a real newby!
Would love to see the picture...please!

Thanxs
Buffy

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 August 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffy,

Here is the picture. The front is scanned black and white while the back is in colour however the mount card is actually grey so the colour image is less accurate than the B&W one. There is also a gold finish around the cut edge of the card that can only been looking edge onto the card. I also notice it says he was a portrait so he must have been a very talented man.

All the best - Mark

Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Buffy901

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi mark
Thank you for the picture, do you have any idea who the lady is, or is she just a random customer?
Gosh a portrait painter as well....my Mum said that her grandfather, William's son, was also a keen painter so it's nice that the talent was obviously passed down, well at least one generation anyway!

Thanks again

Buffy

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffy,

We think the sitter could be Kate Owen one of the sisters of my great great Grandfather. The problem is that my great grand mother Maria Owen was one of 15 children and her mother was one of 13 and her father was one of 12 (found so far). The facial features support her being an Owen. The eye colour seems to support the idea that she was my great great grandfathers generation as they look like they have mostly light (blue) eyes. my great grandmothers generation look to have mostly dark (brown) eyes although this is not totally conclusive. I think the 'leg of mutton' sleeve on the dress indicates a dress date of 1893 - 1899 (approx') based on its size it is probably later rather than earlier. Of the blue eyed generation Kate is the only woman still unmarried during this date range. Of the predominatly brown eyed generation she would have to be no older than 16 and I think she looks more like mid 20's.

When I get a moment, I will look up the Lutterworth info to see how long William had a Lutterworth Studio. It might give another clue.

ATB - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Buffy901

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 May 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Long time no speak! Did you ever get a chance to see if Mr Greaves's studio in Lutterworth ever existed?

BR

Buffy

Offline Davey101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 June 14 02:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is following this link any more but attached is details of William Greaves Photographer of Leicester and family which I have compiled from census details, newspaper cuttings etc. starting around 1800. Had to delete some of it to accommodate the miserly 500K. Contact me if you want the full monty with pictures (2.1MB).

Rgds

Dave

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is following this link any more but attached is details of William Greaves Photographer of Leicester and family which I have compiled from census details, newspaper cuttings etc. starting around 1800. Had to delete some of it to accommodate the miserly 500K. Contact me if you want the full monty with pictures (2.1MB).

Thanks for the pdf which I will read with interest. ATB - M

Offline Hilary F

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
I'm coming in a bit late here and it may not be of much help, but I know Frank Brown was around late 1800s-early 1900s.  He took a lot of photos of my gt gt grandfather.  I strongly suspect Frank Brown may have been a freemason - just a feeling in my bones!

Offline Adrian70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 August 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
In my family history research I came across mention on this web-site by Beverley W information on a Leicester photographer, Mansfield of Welford Place. This has always intrigued me as my great uncle, Archibald Lewis, sent his family a photo, taken by Mansfield and I would guess this would be about 1905. I read Beverley's notes on Frank Hughes originating from Stonehouse in Gloucestershire, just outside Stroud. My family were originally from Stonehouse and seemingly there was some disagreement with Archibald which resulted in him moving presumably to the Leicester area. What is interesting is that Archibald moved to Donegal, Ireland and married in 1911, his occupation being photographer. Was he working for Mansfeld or indeed any of other companies in the area?
The family argument was sadly never settled and no one knows what it was over. Archibald's two older brothers never forgave him for not attending their father's funeral in 1935. What they didn't know was that he died on the Somme in 1917.
Any information or leads would be most welcome.