Author Topic: photographers in leicester  (Read 17752 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Re: photographers in leicester
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 July 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jim.

That would seem to link in with what I can find on Phillips and Freckleton. My reading suggests that photo mounts of this type are more generally associated with pre 1900 than post so that fits.

Phillip and Freckleton seems to have been a loose and short lived partnership between two exisiting Nottingham photographers being Albert Phillips of Phillips and Co and Joseph Walter Freckleton of Freckleton and Co.

The only directory entries for Freckleton and Co are found in Nottingham's Wrights 1894-5 and Wrights 1898/9. The address being (1894-5) 69 1/2 Long Row West Market St Nottingham and (1898-9) 63 Long Row West Market St.  Bother these addresses are given as also being that of Freckleton and Co while Phillips and Co have a separate Nottingham address.

I can find no reference of Phillips and Frecketon in Leicester or Loughborough. The only clues seem to be that the 20 Market Place address for Leicester has been a photographic studio for both F Brown (1887/8) and Arthur Moore (Kelly's 1895). However Phillips and Co (confirmed as the same Nottingham business and Albert Phillips) appears at 2 Museum Terrace, New Walk Leicester in 1899 (Kelly's) and continues through to 1909 with a change of address to 68 New Walk Leicester about 1903.

It is therefore my guess that Phillips and Freckleton briefly had addresses in Leicester and Loughborough between 1894 and 1898 but that they ceased when the partnership seems to have dissolved around 1899.

This also fits well with Jim's estimate of date and, for me at least, points to these photos being from the period 1894/5 to 1898/9.

GAH - I am not sure how this fits with your dates for Fanny Owen?

ATB - Mark

Added - A Leicester Mercury article published 14/8/1897 details a court case where Phillips and Freckleton are being sued. They are said to be of "New Walk" Leicester at this time.
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 July 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Just been googling for information on W Greaves, to help identify some of my Hall album photographs from Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire, and have found the following information which might be of use to gah and Mark:
From Historical Directories:
Wm Greaves 193 Belgrave Gate mentioned in both the 1903 and 1908 copies of Wright's Directory of Leicester.

From Census:
1891 and 1901 census - William Greaves (widower) - artist and photographer
193 Belgrave Gate
born 1858, Stamford Lincolnshire
Not there in 1881.

Hope this helps a little and re-opens interest in the thread.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

P.S. Curious to know Mark if you ever found Clara Annie Brewin's whereabouts, Mark.

Be in touch soon - take care.  Have a wonderful summer.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 July 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Just in case you happen upon this - any ideas on the date for this one, please?
Perhaps someone has a dated photo by this photographer with the same mount.
Thanks,
Paulene :)
Any dates gratefully received.

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 July 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Paulene,

How are you? Very nice to here from you and hope the family is well. Look forward to September when we pick up on the last project ;)

No, Clara is still a mystery. I know she went to Canada as a Home Girl and married plus had at least 2 boys but the trail goes cold after 1930. I am waiting for Wigston RO to let me see the records for Winifred which they say I cannot see until 2011 due to the 100 years rule for Leicester Borad of Guardians.

Thanks for the Greaves info. I do have photos of this age in the album. I will have a look later and see if they match your.

All the best - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow
Start a new topic for this & include the back.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 August 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Paulene,

Sorry, I've checked and I don't have one similar to yours. I was confusing one of the Browns photos I have that looks quite similar.

All the best

Mark

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 August 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Paulene,

From what I can find William Greaves first appears at 193 Belgrace Gate in Kelly's 1891. Before this (at least in 1888 and before) 193 Belgrave Gate was in the Occupation of Samuel Bevan and Son, Needle Makers. Greaves still occupies 193 in 1909 (see Wights and Kelly's 1899, Wrights 1903 and Wrights 1909). Looking at the card mount and its similarities others I have, I would place it closer to 1891 than 1900. The one I have that is most similar in design is dated to around 1888. Given that I cannot find Directories for 1889 & 1890 it is possible W Greaves was there as early as this so my guess is circa 1890 (+/-).

Does this fit with what you know?

Best regards - Mark

Offline Buffy901

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 August 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya
In reference to William he was my great great grandpa! Just founf him out cos he was proving tricky to find...and managed to find him...popped his name in google and I found this thread!He lived at the photographers studio. Im sooooo pleased to know he was a well known chap :)
Anyone got any other info on him for me?

Thanxs

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 August 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffy,

You must be very proud of William then. He must have been quite good as he lasted a lot longer than many of his competitors. Having found him in Business Directories from 1892 although I think he might have been at 193 Belgrave gate ealier his business survives until at least 1916. Do you known when he retired moved?

I have also looked for him in the 19th C Newpaper collection but haven't found him although this only goes to about 1902 I think.

I do have one W Greaves photo of the 1890's which I think could be Kate Owen. It has a nice decoration on the back and also indicates that William also had premises in Lutterworth around this time. I can scan it for you if you would like to see it?

ATB - Mark