Author Topic: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*  (Read 10260 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*
« on: Thursday 29 July 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
From 1836 - 1839 James Whitaker was signing as a witness to land transactions in the W(h)angaroa district, a James Witaker was also mentioned as being at Korororika in 1837, one of about seven Pakehas, (not sure if he is the man at Whanagroa)

Papers past has the details of the stabbing of James Whitaker an old sawyer at Wangaroa in 1863, and murder of his friend.
Papers past also mentions how his half caste daughter in 1866 on hearing he had died went to Wangaroa by boat and was taken prisoner from the boat, ransomed by the boat's captain, and almost kidnapped again.

The IGI (member submission with no contact deatils) lists five children to James at Whangaroa, 4 in 1848 and one in 1854, would any one know where these entries could have come from, the only NZ reg general births seem to be for the children of Frederick Alexander Whitaker, later knighted and a govt minster. He seems to crop up whenever I search fro James, but could an old sawyer in the bush be related to the Govt Minister.

Hoping some one on here can point me to where more information on James can be found, and why his death was not registered?

Thanks Colin

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
if the children were part maori, his wife was maori, registration was not necessary/compulsory so hence not on the NZ BMD historical database.
Member submissions to LDS can not always be traced back, if you look at record source it sometimes tell you, it would not mean they were related.
Bye
Althea

Offline whiteacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

James Whitaker died 14 Feb 1866 (aged 66 years) of "natural decay" at Onewhero, Whangaroa. Whitaker was my 3 x great-grandfather, I have a copy of the death certificate, and not sure why his death was unregistered. He was buried at Okura or Otakura Cemetery. His 'wife' (though I've found no record of their marriage) was Peti Hineraro (or Hinereru etc) aka Betty Whitaker, daughter of Waikato Chief (later Maori King) Potatau Te Wherowhero. They had 7 children that I know of, and there is reference made to Peti's step-son Richard Whitaker; therefore James was probably married prior to immigrating. James was a shipwright and sawyer at Whangaroa.
Their eldest four children: John, Jane, Margaret and Ellen Whitaker were all baptised at Kaitaia by Rev. Joseph Mathews on 6th Nov 1848. In 1854 was daughter Isabella. I'm not aware who the IGI member is who submitted these details. There were at least two other children, William born in 1856 (m 2 xg-grandfather) and Elizabeth.

There was a legend passed down through the family that James was related to Sir Frederick Whitaker, some time Premier of New Zealand (either a brother or half-brother) which is now proved impossible (Fred's father born in 1787). I haven't been able to find a relationship to Fred's Bampton (Oxford) Whitaker's, and from the X marked signings James Whitaker made at the land transactions he witnessed, I presume he was illiterate and not from the same family.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marcus

Whitaker, Medley, Hagger, Larkin, Gamble, Bennett, O'Connor, Webster, Dorset, Weston, Woodlands, Charles, Taylor, Fox, Spencer, Stovin, Maples, Furness, Bacon, Wade, Dudson, Grobham, Howe

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome Marcus
Hopefully Colin will spot your message soon
Once you have made 2 more posts you will be able to use the PM messaging system and exchange emails etc
Bye
Althea

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcus!

Great to see you on here - I am helping James Whittaker's 3rd great Grandchild with his family tree research - you guys must be the same generation.  Colin is doing great guns with helping us too.  The line I have been trying to flesh out is descended from James' daughter Isabella's line.  I would love to see your info on the Maori line - I have been chatting with a very nice lady called Lynette who has the details of that side too.  Where in the world are you based?  We are here in the Waitakere.

Cheers,

;D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline whiteacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi Girl

Thanks for post  :)

I would like to get in touch with Colin one of our whanau. I should be able to use the messaging/email system now!

Are you talking with (*)? She is great-granddaughter of Jane Whitaker (Mrs. Charles William Coleman) eldest daughter of James and Peti Hineraro. I have most of my information on the Coleman and Bickerton lines from Lynnette (aka: Huia). I have been researching the Potatau Te Wherowhero and Peti's mother Ngawaero lines and can send more info.

I am on the Central Coast of NSW Australia - born and bred in Taranaki  8)

Best wishes
Marcus

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Whitaker, Medley, Hagger, Larkin, Gamble, Bennett, O'Connor, Webster, Dorset, Weston, Woodlands, Charles, Taylor, Fox, Spencer, Stovin, Maples, Furness, Bacon, Wade, Dudson, Grobham, Howe

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 23:24 BST (UK) »
Colin is over in Oz too!  so much for me baking goodies and perusing your paper trail ;)

My friend Shane, who's line I'm helping him trace will be thrilled to hear we've unearthed another relation :D  I doubt I can add much to your tree unless you were looking for some of Isabella's line :)

The Maori line is the one I am most intrigued with - but have the least info on so far.

:D

Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline whiteacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 10 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi  ;D

I would like to know more of Isabella's line - I have the 9 children but am not sure if they are in the correct order:

1. Lewis Bickerton [m: had issue]; 2. Harold William Bickerton (1877/8-1964) [m Mabel: had issue]; 3. Priscilla Mary Hoskin Bickerton (1878/9-1944) [Mrs. Harold Lionel Nicolson: 5 issue]; 4. Jane (Jennie) Bickerton [m with issue]; 5. Amy Victoria Isabella (Poppy) Bickerton (1882-1944) [m her first cousin Harold Richard Coleman (1884-1972): 4 daughters]; 6. Walter South Bickerton (1883-1938) [m 1 ?; m 2 his brother Charles' widow, Valentine Gertie Simkin Bickerton: 3 daughters]; 7. Charles Bickerton (1885/6-1918) [m Valentine Gertie Simkin: 3 sons]; 8. Leopold D. (Leo) Bickerton (1890/1-1930) [m with issue]; 9. Sydney John (Syd) Bickerton (1891/2-1949) [m Gladys: 2 sons].

Would like to know any details I do not have and living relatives I can contact?

Next time I'm in N.Z. I will definitely pop over for some of your delicious baking  ;)

Thanks
Marcus

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 10 07:28 BST (UK) »
Howdy - have sent you what I have and included my friend's email.  You'd be cousins  ;)

No doubt Colin will have some goodies too.

:D