Author Topic: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*  (Read 10266 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
Re: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 April 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Sydney John Bickerton is the Great Granduncle of my friend who I am helping with his tree.  If you post a few more times I can pm you....

Welcome to the Rootschat chatters!
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline boston39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 April 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Thank you it is all so interesting, I look forward to learning lots more.

Thanks again

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 February 16 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Has anyone made any headway on finding the definative link from Betty / Peti to her tribe?

Still a sticking point for me...

Cheers!
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline ebic181

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Boston39.

I know it has been a while since there was conversation on this thread, so hopefully you see this message somehow. I have just stumbled upon this website. You say that your husband is the son of Sydney Waimana Hokimai Bickerton. My late mother (Glen Margaret Bickerton deceased, 2013) was the daughter of Sydney Waimana Bickerton. She was born in 1946.

Her mother was Elizabeth Bickerton, nee Colledge and there were two other children in that family, John Bickerton and Don Bickerton. Elizabeth and Sydney divorced sometime, possibly in the 50's... But that's all I and my mother knew about Sydney Bickerton.

It sounds pretty crazy, but I have my mother's birth certificate. If you're still active on this site, perhaps we could chat?

Kind regards,

Offline mldjnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 January 17 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I'm new to rootchat, so hope someone's listening.
We are of to Whangaroa tomorrow 10th Jan 16 on the hunt for James and/or Beti grave etc.
Hopefully you may be able to point me in the right direction. 

My wife Shelley is another cousin via their youngest son William James (Wiremu) b1857 d1917 (Sydney) m1880 to Mary Ann Weston.
Their daughter Marietta (Mary Etta) b1881 d1950 is the my wife's great-grandmother through her third son Harold Dyer. Most of their line (latest count 53 and growing) live in Auckland, Hamilton or Sydney.

Bye for now
Colin (no the other one)

PS: how do I access the attachment's some of you have posted of the last few year's ?

Offline mldjnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
To SBW-Tainui

Your great .. grandmother Isabella

she married Lewis Davies Beckerton on 13 Aug 1874 at the Fuller residence, Coote Road, Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
and died on 8 Aug 1927 at her sister Jane's house at 101 Cook Street, Auckland Central
and is buried at Purewa Cemetary; Location Block E Row 58 Plot 110

Hope this is helpful
Colin

Offline abcdefj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 April 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Marcus and Kiwi Girl

Could I please have some assistance in documentation connecting James Whitaker with Peti Te Wherowhero and Peti with 1st Maori King Potatau Te Wherowhero?

Thank you kindly.

Offline Whitaker01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody I've been searching for my dads family for years he is now in his 70's his father was William Charles Whitaker jnr his father passed away in the war wen my dad was 3 and that's where family was lost I have finally found decendents and ancestors we are related to James Whitaker he is my great great great grandfather I'm in west Auckland and would love to find family if anyone could help point me in the right direction that would be awesome my great grandmother was Edith may Whitaker and William Charles Whitaker also my fathers name is William thanks and I hope this helps this is what I know,
Irihapeti Hineraria Potatau (Te Wherowhero) Whitaker was married to James Whitaker she is the first Maori king potatau te wherowhero to his 4th wife Nga Waero (Tukorehu) Te Wherowhero and ngati waero's sister also was a wife of potatau,

Biography

She was the daughter of Maori Chieftain Te Wherowhero, of the Tainui confederation of tribes, who was elected first Maori King in 1858, by his 4th wife, Ngawaero, younger daughter of Pehi Tukorehu.

Marriage and family

She married James Whitaker, shipwright, of Whangaroa, and they had seven children. He died in 1866.

Death

She died in 1927, aged 100.

vacy
Irihapeti Hineraria Potatau "Betty" Whitaker formerly Te Wherowhero
Born 1827 in Waikato, New Zealandmap
ANCESTORS ancestors
Daughter of Potatau Te Wherowhero and Nga Waero (Tukorehu) Te Wherowhero
Sister of Matutaera Te Pukepuke Te Karato Potatau Te Wherowhero [half]
Wife of James Whitaker — married about 1848 in Whangaroa, Bay of Islands, New Zealandmap
DESCENDANTS descendants
Mother of John Whitaker, Jane (Whitaker) Coleman, Margaret (Whitaker) McGregor, Ellen Whitaker, Elizabeth (Whitaker) Ireland, Isabella (Whitaker) Bickerton and William James Whitaker
Died 1927 in Waikato, New Zealandmap

Offline mldjnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My wife and children are like you related through James & Peti's son William James Wiremu Whittaker b1857 Whangaroa d1917 Sydney. He married Mary Ann Weston in 1880 at St Patrick's Cathedral in Auckland. They had six children. Our family is from their eldest daughter Marietta b1881 d1950. Your family is from their second child William b1883 d1950. He is buried at Panmure St Patrick's churchyard (centre section row 5 plot 243) along with many of your relatives (including his mother Mary Ann Weston).

I have been able to trace the Weston's back a few generations, but haven't had much success with James Whittaker.

Peti's connection to King Te Wherowhero is as yet unproven, but probable. Likewise we have been unable to find burial place for either James or Peti.

We are also in West Auckland, There are a number of active Whittaker's in Auckland !

Bye for now
Colin and Shelley McGeorge