Author Topic: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*  (Read 10259 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 October 10 02:04 BST (UK) »
G'day
Where did Richard live and die?
I reckon that kiwigirl needs to drive over an see (*), to see what she has to tie in Peti to Te Whero whero.
Take some of that good sounding baking with you.
Any ideas on what became of Ellen, Margaret, and John?
There was a "half caste" Ellen Whitaker and another or the same Ellen Whitaker, who got into the newspapers a fair bit.
I feel that there is no connection with Sir Frederick
What are birth and death dates for Peti?
Where were all of James Whitaker's children in 1862, when he was stabbed?
Isabella, and William at least were under 10
Why the big gap in births between 1848 and 1854/1856?
Is it possible james had more than one wife?
Or did other children die between missionaries visits so have faded away into past?
Cheers Colin

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Marcus please get in touch
thank Colin

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 November 10 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Howdy,

There is a lovely chap who is taking photos of the Whanagroa area - is that where James is buried?  Any idea of which graveyard?

Are you both well?

:D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline quinny66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James WHITAKER of Whangaroa *COMPLETED*
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all. My name is Andrew Russell Cameron Quinn I am the son of Pamela Quinn NEE Coleman and she is the daugther of Raymond Sidney Coleman and he is the son of Alfred Coleman and Sarah Coleman Nee Cameron and he is the son of Charles William Coleman and Jane Coleman NEE Whittaker and she is the daughter of James Whittaker and grandson of Frederick Whittaker. Im so glad to have found this site.

Offline SBW-Tainui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcus,

Isabella Whittaker is my 4 x great-grandmother.  I have a print out of her death certificate, her name having two ts rather than one on the print out.  She is supposedly buried at Purewa but online there are no records of her burial.  She married Lewis Davis Bickerton when she was 17 in Napier (around 1871).

The print out says Isabella's parents were James Whittaker and Betty Hineraria.

You've said that you have a copy of James' death certificate, I wonder if you could scan me a copy?

Also, I have no documentation regarding Betty.  Other than what I've seen on rootschat.com I can't find any reference to her existence.  The purpose of my search is to find documentation showing my iwi whakapapa to prove what iwi I am.  Without it I won't ever be able to find my iwi.

Is there anyway you could help me in finding more about Betty and her iwi?

Cheers

Scott

Offline quinny66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
my name is Andrew Quinn my mother was Pamela Coleman her father was Raymond S Coleman his mother was Sarah Coleman married to Alfred Coleman her maiden name was Cameron. His father was Mr Charles Coleman and he was married to Jane Coleman nee Whittaker. I know from family in NZ that we have ancestors from Waikato. My partner is Charles Richards and his family is from Napier. His family from up north Hokianga and Thames. This is a photo of me and one of my grandfather Ray. My grandfather was from Devenport near Auckland. Love to know more you can find me on facebook or you can contact me a t *e-mail address removed as per Rootschat policy - please use the Private Message facility

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 May 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know, in my family tree on another branch is Servilla Eve Coleman who was a daughter of Charles William Coleman and Jane Whittaker.  It's been nice to figure out that what my uncle was telling me was true about the link to the Maori King (except for the part where he mispronounced Peti's name and had me stumped)  ;D.

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 May 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hey that's great!  I'm still hoping that someone on this thread comes up with some paper or links to I can connect the ties to the King...  ;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline boston39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 April 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I have just started looking into my husbands relatives and found this chat really great.  My husband is a great grandson of Lewis Davies Bickerton born 1847, Lewis had a son Sydney John Bickerton born 1892 and died 1949 and Sydney John Bickerton had a son called Sydney Waimana Hokimai Bickerton born 1914-1968 who is my husbands father.  I can't seem to find much info on his father or grandfather.

Regards Jill