Author Topic: Downey/O'Neill/Kearney  (Read 5559 times)

Offline annie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Downey/O'Neill/Kearney
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all , sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes the kindly church office girl came back to me with the confirmation that a Robert DOWNEY was baptised on 20th Jan 1828 at Dromore RC Church to a James DOWNEY and Margaret CROTHERS.
The question is of course is this MY Robert Downey.

I have looked through the Catholic records on-line for Dromore back to 1823, but no marriage for James and Margaret. It was noted on Robert's baptism that his mother Margaret came from Magherabeg so I thought she may have married James back in her home town, but apparently the marriage would probably have taken place in Dromore as it was the parish church for that area.

Unfortunately the marriage records for Dromore Church only go back to 1823, so while Robert was born 1828 and a brother in 1832, they could be the last of a dozen children going back before 1823, meaning James and Margaret could have been married well before 1823.

Will keep looking and advise you of any more news.

Boyd, Courtenay, Downey, Faulkner, McDade, Mackenzie, Pascoe, Patterson

Offline annie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I do need to post 1 more thing from an older thread-
My maternal GG Grandfather is John Rowley Faulkner Snr, married to Jane Ross 13th Jan 1888. He was a Sgt in the 2nd Battalion RIF at St Camp Aldershot at the time of his marriage. Their dtr Gertrude Annie was my Great Grandmother.  Are you related to this family ???

Anne
Australia

Baptism posted on other forum gives her father as James not John.

My apologies for my incorrect post - Gertrude Annie Faulkner's father was JAMES not John. John Rowley is Gertrude's brother.

Offline annie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 07:06 GMT (UK) »

Robert Downey and family in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Hornby_Street/221527
Wife Gertrude Ann born Belfast (not Co.Derry), married 36 years (c1875) with 12 children but only 7 living children.

I haven't found the marriage yet either but did find daughter Ellen's birth registration-
Ellen   Downey, 24 Jan.1889 Belfast (mother- Faulkner)
[/quote]

Hello All.  Re Gertrude Annie FAULKNER. (my great grandmother)

I have a copy of the 1911 Census with my uncle's handwriting crossing out the 36 years married and changed to 26 years. (Gertrude was his grandmother) He also has penciled a note at the bottom, that they "eloped to marry". Considering her husband Robert was from a Catholic family and she a Protestant, this makes this eloped option quite possible. Where they went to get married of course is the question, she was born in Desertlyn in County Derry, but they probably went further afield - maybe the Registry Office in Belfast ??  I have no record or notation from my late uncle's vast genealogical notes in regards to this marriage.

Offline Mightyquinn81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 November 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
H Annie it's been a while, how are you? Have you found anything for James and Margaret or if this robert was yours?

Best wishes

Phil