Author Topic: Fallin colliery  (Read 53244 times)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fallin colliery
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
This is just becoming better n better Fergie.  Looks like I owe you afternoon tea at the Ritz after all this!!!

This journey is one of the most wonderful I have ever been on, seems every day brings an answer to all these questions nobody could answer.

Ticker is right when he says its all worth it to put a smile of someone's face, you sure succeeded today in doing that!!

Yes, share my email with your friend, am waiting to hear from her!!  :) :) :)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Looks like I've run out of info to pass on to you for but hope that the two Ryan contacts I've sent your way will be able to advance your family research.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline lfm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 August 10 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

I also have relatives that lived in Fallin and worked at the Colliery, though I'm not sure there is any family connection - mine were Bunyans. I have also got the book on mining in Fallin from Stirling Library, it's v interesting.

Have you had a look at the Stirling Observer Christmas Annual in Stirling Library? There are some Ryan's from Fallin mentioned in the index with entries between 1949 and 1969. I found some great pictures in there from my family.

Best wishes,
Lauren

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 August 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hey Lauren great information there.  That book on Fallin is great isnt it.  Will check out the Christmas Annual.

Got any photos or info on the blocks?  We could share.  Best regards KAthy

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:42 BST (UK) »

Fallin as it once was.

Helped the milkman here when I was a boy although the photo is before my time. We sold the milk from a big churn fitted with a brass tap and it sat on the rear of the milk van. The women would come to the van with their cleaned milk bottles or an assortment of jugs and have them filled.

Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Wow.  Fergie is always full of surprises.  <<wants to see Fergie's photo album lol.

Did you ever get to see what these Blocks were like inside, say maybe about 1930 on did they have running water and toilets inside?  I know they had outside toilets, like at the time this photo was taken.

And, say the miner died, were these tied houses, would the remaining family have to move elsewhere, or just shufty in with another part of their family, say the son who was a miner.  Interesting social history aspect, wondered about that for mining villages across Scotland.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
See what ya started Lauren lol.

And how did the people get their meat and veg., did they go to Stirling or were they served by 'mobile' tradesmen who would come round??

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
And how did the people get their meat and veg., did they go to Stirling or were they served by 'mobile' tradesmen who would come round??

There were shops.
This photo is from the eastern end of fallin looking towards Stirling. The Gothenburg pub is seen on the distant right. Right foreground shows what were shops. I think one was a Co-oP.
The miners 'Rows' (Raws) were on the left of the road.

Cheers.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 August 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
What a change.  When were the Blocks demolished, do you know?