Author Topic: Fallin colliery  (Read 53188 times)

Offline marben81

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fallin colliery
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Found some photos that may be of interest.

First one is "Fallin Old Folks Treat". Kneeling on far left of the picture is Thomas Bunyan; I don't know who anyone else in the photo is. This photo is from about the 1950s-60s. The photo was taken for the Stirling Observer.

Second photo is Polmaise Bowling Club, from the 1960s I believe.

Offline chetwode

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I was just messing around checking pictures of Polmaise colliery when i came across the picture "Old folks Treat" taken in 50s-60s for Stirling Observer and i am pretty sure the person kneeling front left is my Grandfather Charlie Easson. Derek Richardson

Offline stewart66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
As per leslesley's post I too am related to Leslie Stewart from Fallin as well as Ronnie and Margaret Gillespie. Does anyone know of them or who i can possibly contact?  Many thanks

Offline maggie1904

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 04 November 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Enjoyed reading these posts and looking at the photographs and wondering if any of my relatives are among them. John Rielly and his wife Mary Smith were living in Fallin when he died in 1929. Mary, known as granny Rielly died in 15 Woodside Place, Fallin in 1962, aged 89. They had 8 children some of whom lived and worked in Fallin. Mary had a daughter Ann who married Michael McDonald. They lived in Block 1 A in 1930 and had 2 sons Michael and Patrick. She also had a son, my grandfather William Smith who lived with his family at 112, Wee Block (5th Block) until he was killed driving his motorbike
in October 1931. It would be good to hear from anyone related or has any information on the family

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 04 November 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Enjoyed reading these posts and looking at the photographs and wondering if any of my relatives are among them. John Rielly and his wife Mary Smith were living in Fallin when he died in 1929. Mary, known as granny Rielly died in 15 Woodside Place, Fallin in 1962, aged 89. They had 8 children some of whom lived and worked in Fallin. Mary had a daughter Ann who married Michael McDonald. They lived in Block 1 A in 1930 and had 2 sons Michael and Patrick. She also had a son, my grandfather William Smith who lived with his family at 112, Wee Block (5th Block) until he was killed driving his motorbike
in October 1931. It would be good to hear from anyone related or has any information on the family
Maggie, I have John Rielly and Mary Smith in my family tree, and I have traced Mary's family back for several generations.

John Rielly is a bit of a mystery. I believe from his marriage and death certificate that his parents were John Rielly and Helen Shearer, and from the census that he was born in Glasgow in 1869/71, but I have never been able to find his birth certificate.

His death certificate says he was first married to Jessie Docherty. I can't find this marriage, but a John Rielly, 21, coal miner is with wife Mary, 18 and 6-month-old daughter Jessie in 1891. This fits with a marriage of John Rielly to Mary Docherty in 1890 and death of Mary Docherty or Rielly in 1897.

However that marriage certificate says his parents were John Rielly and Helen McGowan. I have not found a birth of a John to John Rielly and Helen McGowan either.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maggie1904

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 05 November 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of information on the family but like you have not as yet identified a definite birth record but I can confirm that John Rielly was married to Mary Docherty, not Jessie 31 December 1889 in Larkhall, Lanarkshire. Jessie was their daughter and also Mary's mother was named Jessie

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 12 February 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone still researching the Ryan family ?
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am still researching the Ryan family worked in Fallin colliery in its early days. What would you like to know? In case I get diverted here is my email, kpthomason@hotmail.com.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:59 GMT (UK) »

Personal e-mail addresses aren't allowed on the RootsChat forum.

This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc

This type of information should be exchanged via personal message.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo