Author Topic: Kane's of Lislea Co. Louth  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Saelka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kane's of Lislea Co. Louth
« on: Friday 30 July 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anybody knows the family of Laurence Kane & Kate Kane (Nee Kearns) of Lisea, Omeath, Co. Louth.  They were my great grandparents.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Re: Kane's of Lislea Co. Louth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Saelka,

I may have a connection with this family. I've had great difficulty tracing the Irish side of my family, not least because my Gt Grandparents moved to Glasgow in 1919 at the start of the troubles. My Gt Grandfather was called Lawrence Kane. He married an Ellen Kieran from Ardee. He was employed by her father.

On his death certificate, his parents are named as Matthew Kane and Mary Ellen Ward and his birth would have been around 1888-89. I have no idea where he came from, although, I had heard Dundalk was a possibility. However, recently viewing the 1901 and 1911 censuses, I'm inclined to suspect that he is in fact Lawrence Kane, living at Lislea, with father Lawrence Kane and mother Mary, as well as sisters Kate and Mary Elizabeth. I know that Lawrence had a sister called Mary (McKay?), who became a nun. Given that Ellen Kieran's father was called Matthew, it could be surmised that the son who completed his father's death certificate transposed his Grandfather's names. He had never met either of them, I'm sure.

If I could only find some evidence that the mother was a Ward, then I would consider this mystery solved. Any information at all concerning this family would be much appreciated. Also, it appears that there was another child from this marriage who may have had family.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Re: Kane's of Lislea Co. Louth
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:58 BST (UK) »
I've done some further investigating via the 1901 and 1911 Censuses and there are several Kane families in Lislea that I assume are connected.

Peter Kane b.c.1841, wife Rose and family
Patrick Kane b.c. 1843, wife Bridget and family
James Kane b.c. 1845, wife Catherine and family

and of course, my own possible ancestors:
Lawrence Kane b.c.1854, wife Mary and family.

It's possible that these are all brothers and given that the first three all had sons called Owen, I would surmise that that was their father's name. Given that they probably had around 30 children between them, surely someone has some information on these families, please?
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN