Author Topic: Hindley and Trower's in Sewerby and Bridlington  (Read 3745 times)

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hindley and Trower's in Sewerby and Bridlington
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find what happened to my great aunt Lillie Margaret Hindley nee Webber and her daughter Kathleen Hindley.

What I know so far:
Lillie Margaret Webber married Augustus (Gus) Hindley in Our Lady and St Peter RC Church, Bridlington on 8th Feb 1916. Her parents were George Webber a Naval Reserve Coast Guard and Margaret of 36 Windsor Crescent, Bridlington. I believe that Lillie was born in Lincolnshire in 1898. Gus, my grandmother's brother was a Naval Reserve Mine Sweeper out of Grimsby. He had a change of address notified on his record in 1920 to 9 Beehive Terrace, High Street, Bridlington but then changed back to Grimsby in 1922. Unfortunately Gus died tragically in 1923 and is buried alone in Grimsby. I have found no record of Lillie (or even of Gus) living in Grimsby at this time.
Kathleen is the only child that I have found born Jan-Mar 1917 in Bridlington. There is a record of Kathleen marrying a TROWER in Buckrose in Jul-Sep1938 but have yet to order the certificate for this.

So I can find no confirmed record of Lillie either remarrying or dying (she is not named on Augustus's death certificate) or confirmed for Kathleen. Does anyone know of them or have you any good ideas. Perhaps the electoral registers for Bridlington? Where are these held or could someone do a look up for the addresses above?
Any suggestions or help would really be fantastic at this point
Thanks
Gerard
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hindley's in Bridlington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerard:

I am going to send you a PM as I believe that the Kathleen Trower is the  mother of my uncle.

cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hindley and Trower's in Sewerby and Bridlington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne and Rootschatters,
I have now managed to do some further research and received the birth and marriage certificate for Kathleen Hindley and can confirm that Kathleen (the daughter of my great uncle Augustus) married William Esmond Talford TROWER in 1938. The Trowers hailed from Sewerby near Bridlington and ran the Tudor Cafe and Grocery, and I had I believe 4 children. I would love to hear from anyone that knows of these Trower's in the Bridlington area or any other Trower's that are family of Kathleen (Kitty). Sadly I believe Kitty died in March 2000 in Bridlington, while William predeceased her in March 1988.
I'm still not sure what happened to Lillie, my great aunt.
Anne can you please contact me again through PM, I have sent you some PMs but not sure that you received ok?
Thanks
Gerard
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline Chrissy WW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
George Edwin Webber (Coastguard) was my grandfather.
My father Edwin Webber was the eldest son of his young 2ND family !!!(in N.Yorks.) At this point George's son, George William and his daughters by his wife Margaret: Rose Mary, Florence and Lillie were grown up and married. Two of them stayed in Bridlington as far as I know and Rose went to Hull. George William, served in WWI [as did my grandfather] and I believe he was wounded and decorated. I would like to know what happened to young George who was my uncle.

I began researching my grandfather last year and was thrilled when my message on the "Coastguards of Yesteryear" site produced a contact  from George Edwin's great- granddaughter through his daughter Florence. She and I are in regular contact and she has also been in touch with one of Lillie and Leonard Hutchinson's grandchildren in Bridlington. 

I'm sure that she would be as pleased as I am to have contact from you and to find out  from whom you are descended.
With all good wishes.C

Offline webberdesc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
Lilly Hindley was present at my mum's birth in Hull 1921. Mum's mother was Florence Douglas, who was Lilly's sister. (Sadly Florence had to give her up for adoption, but that's another story) Lilly I believe ran a pub in High Street, Bridlington in 1966, which incidently is also where Beehive Terrace was located, where Lilly, Florence and Rosemary all lived years before. Florence was sadly killed in 1966 when she was run over by a car at the end of High Street, Brid. According to my research Lilly died two years later and is buried in Sewerby Road Cemetery in Bridlington. The grave number is BC Section 35. She did indeed have a daughter Kathleen (Kitty) who I believe had a daughter Linda and sons Kenneth, Keith and Terrence. On 192 there is a Linda M Trower living at 62 Scarborough Road, Bridlington. Could this be the grand daughter of Lilly Hindley? Might be worth pursuing! Let me know.   

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello:

Kitty did have a daughter named Linda as she is the sister to my Uncle Keith, (Keith was married to my aunt) but they are no longer married. 

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline ivan3964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

Kitty did have a daughter named Linda as she is the sister to my Uncle Keith, (Keith was married to my aunt) but they are no longer married. 
 Are you still researching.?
Anne

Offline ivan3964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you still researching

Offline webberdesc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ivan, I have been busy moving house since we last spoke and have just recently had DNA Results back from Ancestry. Unsurprisingly they made a strong match with yours. Once I get my spare room sorted out I intend to start researching again and will be in touch with you if I find anything new. I rang Marlene to tell her we lost Mum two years ago, only to discover from Richard she had sadly passed away too. Never found much out before about the Irish side (Margaret Cox's family etc.,) And I was intrigued by the 22% Scandinavian in my DNA. At first though that could have come from Dad's side (The Hackney's) but then I saw you also have same percentage of it. My email is still the same (*) if you want to contact me any-time you are welcome. And I will let you know if I get any more info. Take care Gina

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php