Author Topic: Devir/Dever/Diver Donegal to Australia 1850s-1870s  (Read 13026 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devir/Dever/Diver Donegal to Australia 1850s-1870s
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
My mother's paternal grandfather, John Devir/Dever/Diver- (a different spelling on every occasion!!)- emigrated to Australia with his wife Bridget [O'Donnell] aboard the "Scottish Hero" departing 14.12.1878 from London & arriving 5.4.1879 in Maryborough Queensland. I have no record of them before this.

Bridget had 5 children in Australia: Mary, born/died 1881, Catherine born/died 1882, John Patrick, (my mother's father) b 1883, Catherine born/died 1884, and Bernard (born 1885). Bridget died in 1885, aged 25, possibly from a complication of childbirth. Her death certificate is sketchy, with marriage particulars and parents names & occupation(s) unknown. Birthplace is given as Ireland, and we always assumed it was Donegal. Her death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald requests Londonderry papers to copy. Puzzlingly, it also states she leaves "an affectionate husband & 3 children" Did they leave a child behind in Ireland as my mother seemed to think. There is no further record of the last child Bernard, except for his birth...

John was born abt 1855. He had 2 brothers,

1. Bernard born abt 1839 in Donegal to Thomas Devir, farmer, & Catherine Sweeney, (according to his death certificate) and
2. Michael born abt 1837 in Donegal to James Devir, farm labourer, & Catherine Sweeney, (according to his death cert.) Was this a clerical error? or was Catherine widowed and remarried to another Devir?
Michael and his wife Sarah [Ryan] emigrated to Aus in abt 1865, but I've found no shipping record for them. I found a marriage record for a Michael Diver & Sarah Ryan, both of Cloghroe in 1864. His father's name is given as James
I have discovered several James & Thomas Devir/Dever/Divers in Conwal (Letterkenny); Tullaghobegly (Maheragallan); Killybegs (Drumbarran)and Kimacrenan (Gortnaskeagh) but I am anxious not to leap to erroneous conclusions. 
Bernard's obit in the Sydney Morning Herald 1886- he died 24 Jan after 17 yrs in Aus.- stated that he was formerly of Kilmacrenan. He married, in Sydney in 1876, Catherine Leggatt [nee Devir], who had emigrated with her sister Sophia Devir in 1859 aboard "Lady Bruce". Their brother Dominick (sic) & sister Bridget joined them in 1864. Sophia Devir married Cornelius Devir, a fellow passenger on the "Lady Bruce" (presumably in Sydney, as they each appear as single on the passenger list).
All these Devirs marrying Devirs gets very confusing!  ???

Back to my gtgrfather John.  He seems to have fallen of the face of the earth. We know he went gold mining, dragging my gfather (who eventually ran away back to Sydney) with him. He was an alcoholic by that time, small wonder. There is no further record of him. But that's for the Aus forum.

Any leads on their pre Australia lives, and connections, would be much appreciated.

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Devir/Dever/Diver Donegal to Australia 1850s-1870s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   A parent search on the IGI (part of www.familysearcg.org) gives a child, Bridget Diver, born 5 Oct 1878 in Magherablad, Co. Donegal to John Diver and Bridget O'Donnell. This was an "extracted record" therefore more likely to be accurate.
   Magherablad appears to be in the north of the county, near Dunfanaghy.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Birthplace is given as Ireland, and we always assumed it was Donegal. Her death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald requests Londonderry papers to copy.

It was not uncommon for such notices for the hometown paper to copy a death notice but Londonderry (city) is on the border of Donegal and many Donegal people would have read the Derry papers which is why they've asked for the notice to appear there..
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 August 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Good Lord, you people are quick...and kind!

Thank you, dear souls,

Ann
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 August 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I too am researching the surname Dever/Diver from Kilmacrenan. I am wondering if you would like to exchange information on our lines? I have also done some DNA testing on this line and am wondering if this would be a route you would be willing to go? I have used Family Tree DNA and if you do decide to test there we would be able to make some comparisons.
My line is James Dever son of Samuel & Elizabeth who was born in 1824 in Kilmacrenan. James left and came to Canada in 1862.
I would really like to link up with other Dever families!
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Harrop, Murdie, Norton, Lee, Sharp - England
Jeffery, Stewart, Tipper - Scotland
Cudlipp

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi treesrch  :)

I'd be delighted, but I must warn you, the only pre-Australia info I have is what is in this thread!!

What type of test did you use....because I'm female, and my mitochondrial line isn't Devir. That's not to say that I'm not interested, but I may have to ask a male Devir cuz to come on board!

This is going to be fun!
Cheers,

Ann

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 15:07 BST (UK) »
There is a new test out called Family Finder that can detect up to 5th cousins. The beauty of this test is that either male or female can be the testee. I have taken this test and have a lot of matches, the only problem is it is hard to tell which line the connection is through!
Is your Devir family Catholic or Protestant?
I am very excited to find a potential cousin!
Patricia
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Cudlipp

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi treesrch!

All of our Devirs/Devers/Divers were Catholic!

I've come across Protestant Devers in the census though, which surprised me, though i don't know why it should....

We have some swapping, digging & testing ahead of us, Twig! I'll check out the F F details in the next couple of days.. ;D

Ann

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
How's the Dever research going?
Cudlipp