Author Topic: chilwell munitions factory WW1  (Read 33141 times)

Offline laurenbetty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: chilwell munitions factory WW1
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 June 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

i wondered if anyone knew whether any of the factory still remains today and what it might be now? I'm not from the area so it's difficult to check but doing some research into WW1 munitions factories.

I would also be interested to speak to anyone with any female relatives that worked in munitions during WW1 as part of a BBC2 history series. (Particularly any that may have been domestic servants before or after).

Thanks,

Lauren

Offline Glenhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 June 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

'The factory' was destroyed in the explosion but the site still houses workshops and stores. The greater site used to be half REME and half Ordnance stores but much has been sold off. The site though is still substantial and used by the regular army as well as territorials.

My GGdad was said to be the last victim of the explosion, I have been told that he was blown off a haystack and died of his injuries 5 months later. Fact or not, I do not know.

There is a memorial in the barracks and if you are doing a serious piece about the history you should contact the commandant and you may get a visit if this will help you.
Griffiths - Neath, Glamorgan
Goldsack, Kent
Loxton - Barmouth
Clifford, Nottinghamshire

Offline EmilyMay10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 August 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
I downloaded this here from this page, Nellie is my great grandmother! many thanks.
Her  son was my grandfather Robert Hall, raised by an Aunt i believe, and finally settling in Fife, Scotland. He was born in 1916, so was still very young when she died. He had a sister, Kathleen, 3yrs older than him. Nellie and Robert senior were married in 1913, my sister found Robert seniors grave at Ypres.
Hi tcherry, I'm doing some research on the Chilwell explosion for a WW1 project.  I'd be really interested in speaking to you about it. Many thanks, Emily 

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
I do not have a family connection to this site. My great grandfather was a munitions worker in Newcastle in 1916 & a civilian. There is a photo of him in a military hospital uniform. If he had been injured at work could he have been treated in a military hospital? His entire life is one big mystery.
Thank you
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline EmilyMay10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was a survivor of this blast , my granma is now 85 and just recently told me the story of how her mother was involved. I don't know alot all I know is she worked there when the blast went off in 1918 x
Hi Ashlolchris,
I'd be interested to hear your story.  Do get in touch. thanks, Emily 

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 August 13 20:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Silaswall, I can't answer that, but would like to hope so as they were also risking their lives as the explosion at chilwell proved.

Skewy

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 August 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you skewbald. I think that may be the case.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline The Professor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 September 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
I worked in Chilwell depot for awhile,there is a memorial in there,but not sure if it has the names of those killed,i was told that no building was allowed on the piece of land where the explosion took place,as it was considered a burial site,as several of the victims were never found

Try scrolling down on this site:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/215

Regards.

The Professor.

Offline Blackdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 October 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
Can remember my Gandma telling me about that terrible disaster, she said she heard the bang at Curzon Street, Long Eaton where she lived. She was told by a neighbour who was working at the depot and helped in the rescue of survivors that some of the victims were found embedded in the walls of the building the blast was that big, makes you think doesn't it.
My Grandmother, Linda Walker, work at Chilwell and lived just around the corner from your Grandmother in College St. I wonder if they knew each other?
Ellison Yorkshire, Selway Somerset, Holland Northumberland, Kenney Leicester, Marlow Leicester, Lane Somerset & Berkshire, Walker Nottingham, Sharpe Nottingham, Price Nottingham