Author Topic: chilwell munitions factory WW1  (Read 33131 times)

Offline Retired traveler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: chilwell munitions factory WW1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 March 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Samuel Watson was killed in this explosion. There is a memorial with all the names on it, but it inside the barracks. I wrote to the barracks a few years ago and I was invited to go and see it. I was treated extremely well, details of the explosion were explained to me and I was able to photograph the monument. There is a service at the memorial on remembrance Sunday and it is possible for civilians to attend on request. The major book on the explosion is a book by MJ Haslam called the “Chilwell story”. Only a few intact bodies were recovered the rest of the remains were buried in a mass grave in the church in Attenborough.

Offline tcherry

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 April 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
I downloaded this here from this page, Nellie is my great grandmother! many thanks.
Her  son was my grandfather Robert Hall, raised by an Aunt i believe, and finally settling in Fife, Scotland. He was born in 1916, so was still very young when she died. He had a sister, Kathleen, 3yrs older than him. Nellie and Robert senior were married in 1913, my sister found Robert seniors grave at Ypres.

Offline ilsonlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 May 10 10:53 BST (UK) »
This is a link to a website i found which shows a short film of the chilwell munitions factory and what it was like to work there in 1917.
If you look in the photograph section you will find some pictures of the inside and one after the explosion showing the devastation it caused. Hope the link works.

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/collections/item/5522

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 May 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
134 people died and 250 were injured in the explosion on july 1st 1918. four women and eight men were awarded the obe my grandfather being one of them. 10,000 people worked there at the time.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the responses...I have no idea what if anything my GGranddad was awarded...is there any way of finding out if he was awarded an OBE too?
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline Retired traveler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the "Chilwell story which names some of those who won the OBE but they seem to be scattered through the book.  What was your GG grandad's name Burto?. I will have a look to see if I can find it.

Dave

Offline Retired traveler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 May 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Burto

Following your PM have had a look and there is no mention of your relative in the book, either as a recipient of an OBE or any other medal.  I can not find any other reference to him although there are a few statements from witnesses etc.  There was an enquiry into the explosion I don't know if this is now in the public domain

Regards

Dave

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Retired Traveller,
Many thanks for taking the time to look up his name for me, I really appreciate it.
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline Henriettawfc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 August 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
I worked in Chilwell depot for awhile,there is a memorial in there,but not sure if it has the names of those killed,i was told that no building was allowed on the piece of land where the explosion took place,as it was considered a burial site,as several of the victims were never found
Chilwell was my Father's first posting after he was called up in 1939 and one of my maternal Great Grandfathers was in the Chilwell explosion during the Great War but survived. Father met Mother at Nottingham Palais which is where I come in.

I was interested to read your post about the memorial and the plot of land with a building ban. I live in Cheshire and haven't visited the area for a long time but I understand that the army base is now closed nd has been re developed. Is this the case?

If so, is the plot of land still sacrosanct and what has happened to the memorial plaque? If it has been relocated on site is the Remembrance Day service still held at it?

Offline Retired traveler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 September 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
Much of the area has been developed with housing and retail units.  There is still an army base there now known as Chetwynd Barracks named after Lord Chetwynd who set the shell filling factory up.  I now live 200 miles away but last visited in 2004 and went to the memorial service.  I have no doubt this is still held

Dave