Author Topic: Ballinlough, Co Mayo - Tierney  (Read 5405 times)

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinlough, Co Mayo - Tierney
« on: Sunday 01 August 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a family tree compiled in 1983 that has an entry for William Tierney who married Bridget Connelly. Children - Martin, Thomas, Delia, Patrick, Mary, John.

I reckon that William Tierney married Bridget Connelly between 1860 and 1900....if I had to confine it to a narrower period, I'd say between 1880 and 1895.  But I'm also suspicious that there might be an error in the tree and perhaps this marriage took place 40 or 50 years earlier.....this is just a hunch that I have, so even mentioning it here could mislead someone trying to help.

The entry mentions that they lived in Ballinlough, Co Mayo.  I see from the national archives for the 1901 and 1911 census records that there are two townlands called Ballinlough listed for Mayo one in the KILMEENA DED and a second in the KILCOLMAN DED.

Most of the Tierneys for this family are based on the Galway-Mayo border around Milltown, so I'm curious about Ballinlough.  I also notice that there is another townland in Co Galway called Ballinlough and this is located in the Ballynagar DED, whereever Ballynagar might be.

Any ideas re Ballinlough Tierneys would be very much appreciated,

Offline DympJoyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinlough, Co Mayo - Tierney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
The Ballinlough In Kilmeena is just a small townland. (I was there today checking out some cemeteries)

I would go with the Roscommon/Galway Border area as those names are more common there.

Ballynagar you mention is spelt Ballinagare now and is in Roscommon, not far from the Mayo Border. 

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much DympJoyce..........I've heard in the past that the Tierneys came from around Partry before arriving in Belmont, Milltown - they were in Belmont at the time of Griffiths valuation, but the Tithe Applotments of an earlier era for Belmont has no record of them there........thats why I'm trying to explore any tentative links I can with the Partry region.

One of the Belmont Tierneys actually married a Joyce and went to live in the USA in the late 1800's.  I dont know much about the Joyce in question but given that there are a number of Joyce families in the Mayo/Galway border around Milltown in the census records, it was probably one of them.

Thanks again,
Ballyheeragh

Offline DympJoyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
Don't want to lead you astray but Partry is quiet near Tourmakeady part of which is on the Galway/Mayo Border.

Tourmakeady is very near "Joyce Country" and it is said where the Joyce's (Seoighe) originated.  Joyce is my married name, but I found it easy to research as these Joyces are still in the same Village back to the early 1800's.

I've looked around a few of my fav. sites but nothing so far.  In fact I can see Tierneys coming up in Ballinrobe, Cong/Neale (near each other) and also Castlebar but not your names.

If I come across anything of interest I will post it.