Author Topic: Old RC church in Templeboy parish  (Read 12719 times)

Offline montie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old RC church in Templeboy parish
« on: Sunday 01 August 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,
I am looking for any information regarding an old RC church in Templeboy parish located on an estate (possibly the old Hillas estate). This church was the one where my ancestor got married in 1816 and another was baptised in 1827, so before the current RC church was built around 1870. The old church, now in ruins, is located near a river or stream and totally overgrown. If anyone knows what church I am talking about, I would appreciate any information you may have about it!
Thanks!
S.
Bradley (Liverpool, Toxteth Park / Co. Sligo, Co. Tyrone); Wheler/Wheeler  (Poole, Liverpool); Ganly (Co. Roscommon / Edinburgh); Kilculllen (Co. Sligo); Lush (Dorset); Dignan (Co. Sligo); Hoare (Co. Roscommon)

Offline Elsie 2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old RC church in Templeboy parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi S,
I know your post is over a year old but I was just wondering if you still need information on that RC church in Templeboy?  I know the church very well and can help...
Elsie.

Offline montie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsie,
that would be fantastic! I found some information about the church itself, like maybe it was already there in 1780, and it was indeed on the Hillas estate, and that it was serving about 500 people, but nothing more or certain. Father Judge (of the current RC church) could not help at the time I saw him, and I have tried to contact the Killala diocese but no answer. My next move was to wait until I am in Sligo again (maybe next year) and go to the library to try to find more. But if you can help me that would be really great. I walked by the church on a little path that goes down to the stream; I thought this was the way to the church from the road (which is visible from the path but quite inaccessible), but from the Griffith valuation maps the path is older.
Anyway, do let me know if you can help!! and thanks in advance.
Bradley (Liverpool, Toxteth Park / Co. Sligo, Co. Tyrone); Wheler/Wheeler  (Poole, Liverpool); Ganly (Co. Roscommon / Edinburgh); Kilculllen (Co. Sligo); Lush (Dorset); Dignan (Co. Sligo); Hoare (Co. Roscommon)

Offline Elsie 2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there S,

You already know so much!  I'm not sure how I can help but I got the following information from a book titled Templeboy, the author was Cannon Halloran of the Templeboy parish in 2000: 

"The old church, the ruin of which is still visible beside the stream in Donecoy was probably built about the mid 1700's. Why the church was on Hilla's ground is not clear.  Prehaps because Hillas was a fair minded landlord or prehaps because he had many catholic tennants and workers, it would be safer to have them 'on side'.  This church continued in use until the present one was finished in 1875."

The book is very interesting about the Templeboy parish.

This website mentions the Hillas estate and maybe you might be interested?  The website is...    http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=234

I hope this helps a little,  Elsie.

Offline montie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 02:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Elsie! that book sounds like a great find!  Do you know where I can buy it?
Do you know if the church is still on consecrated land?
S.

Offline Elsie 2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi S,  the church is not on consecrated ground anymore.  I don't think the Templeboy book is in print today but my mother is checking out the locality for extra copies!  I'll let you know!  Elsie.

Offline Elsie 2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 October 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi S, so far I haven't been able to locate a copy of that book but I am still looking.  I have my mothers copy here on front of me, wish you could see it!  Is there anything I could look up for you, like a particular surname or place in Templeboy?  I know this isn't great and that you'd like a copy of the book so I'll keep looking. Elsie.

Offline James Lorenzana

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello. I would also like to request a copy of the  book titled Templeboy, the author was Cannon Halloran of the Templeboy parish in 2000: 

My my Great Grandfather Michael Healy who was married to Ellen Gallagher Healy,  were both national teachers, and lived in House 24 Carrowmore (Kilmacowen, Sligo). Both Micheal and Ellen Gallagher Healy are buried at the Grangemore (Old) Templeboy cemetery.

I am also searching Michael's Father, Hugh Healy who was married to Anne Coan Healy.

Hugh Healy is my Great Great Grandfather. According to the national archives, he provided teachings on 1853 at Cappagh (A) N.S. Teacher: Hugh HEALY.

I am in the USA, and would like to get additional information on where/how I can find information about my Great Grandfather Michael Healy, and
Great Great Grandfather (Hugh Healy)

Regards,
James

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 May 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
You may have this already- church marriage showing on rootsireland Hugh Healy Ann Coan 26 Sep 1854 No parents names witnesses Denis Bradley Bridget Coan Killoran Parish.
annclare
also it seems that the booklet is not available - There is a copy in Sligo Library.
http://catalog.sligolibrary.ie/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/?ps=nQrDi2485g/CO-LIBRARY/36060007/9

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary