Author Topic: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!  (Read 7610 times)

Offline hannah9000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!
« on: Monday 02 August 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Could someone please shed some light re the Monmouth Rebellion.
I've done a fair amount of googling, and I get the general idea of what happened and who was involved.
But, I have descendants who were originally 'Hitchcocks' (as on 1901 census) yet by 1911 they had been told to change their name to 'Duke' (according to my gran) because of the Monmouth rebellion. The 1911 census names them Hitchcock-Duke...I've noticed one of the locals who rebelled was named Hitchcock and I wonder if this has any reflection on the name change?

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
A little slow in reacting since the Monmouth Rebellion was 286 years before the name change. The rebellion was an attempt to overthrow James II who was favouring Catholics over Protestants.

It gave the infamous Judge Jeffreys a place in English history - the Bloody Assizes.

Not too long afterwards James was overthrown by William of Orange, his son-in-law who became William III, so I would imagine if your Hitchcocks had sided with James they would have pardoned by William.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at The Monmouth Rebellion and the Bloody Assize under "Somerset History" at http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, just read your post on the hitchcocks and dukes and the monmouth rebellion and it sounds like we are doing the same family, i have both names in the tree i am doing and also have a hitchcock that was hung by judge jefferys for following the duke of monmouth, would love to find out a bit more and perhaps we can help each other

Tracy xx

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
Would this be Humphrey Hitchcock in this list of locals that were executed. http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/rebellion.htm

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
Would this be Humphrey Hitchcock in this list of locals that were executed. http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/rebellion.htm

Yes but i cant quite make the connection back that far yet, just waiting on a certificate to come to see if i can go back further, i have a list of them  from the same area in the early to late 1700's but need to sort out which families are which and where the name change came in x

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello there,l

I would recommend a book by Peter Earle titled, "Monmouth's Rebels: The Road to Sedgemoor 1685". This contains an in depth history of the battle and background. H e has also done considerable research into the people who became involved in Somerset.

I have a copy and will be happy to look for the information you seek.

Jo.

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello there,l

I would recommend a book by Peter Earle titled, "Monmouth's Rebels: The Road to Sedgemoor 1685". This contains an in depth history of the battle and background. H e has also done considerable research into the people who became involved in Somerset.

I have a copy and will be happy to look for the information you seek.

Jo.

oh yes please if you dont mind, i am looking for any information on Humphry Hitchcock or hitchcock family from the chard ( Tatworth Thorncombe or south chard) area in somerset, i know he was hung in 1685 by judge jefferys in chard but that is all i know, if there is anything in the book i might have to get a copy. Thanks for having a look for me ,cant wait to hear back from you
Tracy xx

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello trlida06,

I had a quick look last night but there is no reference to Hitchcock in the index. This does not mean the name is not in the book as very few of the people's names have been included in the index. I will have a more thorough search when time permits at the weekend.

I would recommend reading this book as it gives such a good account of it all. I have a relative who was tried by Judge Jeffreys at Taunton Assizes, he was sentenced to tranportation to the West Indies. The wealth of background information is invaluable.

Jo.