Author Topic: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!  (Read 7589 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 June 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
The Duke of Monmouth hide in a house in Ringwood (plaque on the fron of this house) Alice de Lisle was also involved. Both were put to death, by judge John Jeffery.
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
The Duke of Monmouth hide in a house in Ringwood (plaque on the fron of this house) Alice de Lisle was also involved. Both were put to death, by judge John Jeffery.

Thanks for that, i will have to get a picture of it. x

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have just been given details of a link to a site with quite a lot of information on the Monmouth Rebellion:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=82513

It will keep us all busy reading it!

Jo.

Offline alick burt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 January 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
looks like a lot of people are related to hitchcocks who were involved in the rebellion.
For my part I have been trying to find a link between my great grandmother Mary Jane Hitchcock and a couple of likely candidates who were in the rebellion and sentenced at the bloody assizes.
1. was a chap called Humphrey Hitchcock who was hanged.
2. the other  was one william hitchcock who lived out his life on barbados after transportation there on a ship called the "Betty"
sadly I have been unable to establish a link between these and my later relatives but there is a family legend that says one of our hitchcock relatives impersonated the duke of Monmouth in order to distract the kings men by wearing his clothes and taking off in a coach as a distraction.
He either worked a mill or lived at an inn of this we are unsure and have no idea which inn or mill it might have been.
After this the Hitchcock name picked up the additional monica of duke appearing as Hitchcock Duke in many records.
My grandfather told my Dad that his cousin one Polly Duke was held up in school as an example of a descendant of a Monmouth Rebel during a history lesson.
If anyone can shed any light on this or knows of any connection I would be interested to find out and swap notes etc.

Offline alick burt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 January 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all so much for your help. i will have to go to Taunton Library to have a look at the book  if it is not in Chard,I had the name Humphry Hitchcock as one that was hanged  but not John so that is intresting to know, will have to have a look in to that and see what happened to him

John Hitchcock was transported to Barbados on the ship Betty under Jerome Nepho or Nipho.
He lived out the rest of his life there and I have been trying to see if he had any offspring before or after he left without success as I have the same legend in my family tree see my other post earlier tonight.Many of my relatives came from chard.