Author Topic: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!  (Read 7603 times)

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouth Rebellion Info please!!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello trlida06,

I had a quick look last night but there is no reference to Hitchcock in the index. This does not mean the name is not in the book as very few of the people's names have been included in the index. I will have a more thorough search when time permits at the weekend.

I would recommend reading this book as it gives such a good account of it all. I have a relative who was tried by Judge Jeffreys at Taunton Assizes, he was sentenced to tranportation to the West Indies. The wealth of background information is invaluable.

Jo.

Thankyou , it does sound a really good book, I had a quick look for it last night and found it on Amazon, but the family tree i am doing is for somebody else so i am going to see if they want to pay for it, although as i live in chard somerset i am finding it very intersting to do and have always been intrested in local history and love researching local family trees. I will wait to hear from you after the weekend. Thanks again
Tracy xx

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have you checked at your local library for the book, save you buying it. If they do not have it, they should be able to source it for you.

Just done a search and they do not have it at Chard but there are copies at Taunton and Langport.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello trlida06,

I am reporting back following a review of the book on the Monmouth Rebellion. I am sorry to say that I couldn't find any mention of your ancestor in it. That is not to say he isn't there but other than re reading the book entirely, it is the best I can do.

My advice would be to borrow this book from the library and have a read of it. I found it was as good as it gets on this subject.

Jo.

Offline Kim1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 June 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is any help or not, but before my grandad died, he did alot of research into the Monmouth Rebellion and amongst his possessions that i inherited i have a folder of names of the rebels.

These appear:

Humphrey Hitchcock (from Thorncombe in Dorset)
John Hitchcock (from Chard Town Tithing in Somerset)

There are no Dukes or Hitchcock-Duke

There is a John Duce (from Colyton in Devon)

Kim
Lavender (Ruislip, Mitcham), Abrehart (Edmonton, Mitcham), Smith (Edmonton, Enfield, Mitcham), Flook & Monks (Lambeth, Bristol), Radlett (Stepney, Southwark, Somerset), Bray (Rotherhithe), Chambers (Oaksey, Sapperton), Davis (Oaksey, Kemble)

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all so much for your help. i will have to go to Taunton Library to have a look at the book  if it is not in Chard,I had the name Humphry Hitchcock as one that was hanged  but not John so that is intresting to know, will have to have a look in to that and see what happened to him

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello trlida06,

I am reporting back following a review of the book on the Monmouth Rebellion. I am sorry to say that I couldn't find any mention of your ancestor in it. That is not to say he isn't there but other than re reading the book entirely, it is the best I can do.

My advice would be to borrow this book from the library and have a read of it. I found it was as good as it gets on this subject.

Jo.
Thanks so much for having a look for me i will have to go to
Taunton library to see if i can borrow it from there and read the whole thing x

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is any help or not, but before my grandad died, he did alot of research into the Monmouth Rebellion and amongst his possessions that i inherited i have a folder of names of the rebels.

These appear:

Humphrey Hitchcock (from Thorncombe in Dorset)
John Hitchcock (from Chard Town Tithing in Somerset)

There are no Dukes or Hitchcock-Duke

There is a John Duce (from Colyton in Devon)

Kim
That is intresting to know as i only had Humphrey and no John, will have to have a look it to that
Thankyou x

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
You could ask Chard if they can get the book in for you.

Offline trlida06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 June 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, i went into Chard library this morning they are going to get it sent over from Taunton for me to borrow