Author Topic: The Wolfenden family of Lambeg  (Read 12640 times)

Offline pgarch7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Wolfenden family of Lambeg
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 August 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
 Thanks so much! That will be him in the census in 1901.

I found a folder of family tree information tidying up that belonged to my great Aunty Beth Wolfenden who was single and a bit ecentric writing down lots of things.

Edward

Offline pgarch7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 August 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
  Sorry the last post sent too soon.

Edward  Wolfenden (1883-1971) migrated to  NZ in 1904 where he established a  grocery store  with a friend in 1911; Wolfenden & Russell. The store grew into a department store in  South Dunedin, there are various photographs of the business that I have uploaded  here (https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=wolfenden%20russell).
 He married  Annie McCracken in NZ and had an infant dying at birth, My grandfather  Edward William Wolfenden (1914-2002), Samuel English  died as a POW in WW2, and Elizabeth Agnes Frances (1919-2008).

Robert Wolfenden is noted as dying of a chill when Edward was about 4 years old, (d1887?), there was another son  of Roberts but he died in infancy due to a fever, Edward had a fever also but recovered. After Roberts death Mary (nee Watson) and Edward moved to the Watson farm in Keady for about 10 years, then Belfast where she married William Gibson.

One of my most treasured possessions is a small well bound Bible called a Polygott Bible it was given to Robert by his father (whose name must have been Thomas) it is written inside
Robt Wolfenden
from his father
16 May 1868
Swerve not my dear boy from Gods law and all will indeed go well with thee in the land.

I think I probably have a photograph of Robert Wolfenden somewhere.

I have a letter from the Duke of Gordon Hotel  dated 1927, I am happy to send that back to any of those Wolfenden descendants. I also have a reference letter  from John Reid dated March 4th 1902 that says Edward had been employed by him for about 3 1/2 years.

I would appreciate if anyone can connect things further  back from Thomas? I have information re Lambeg churchyard but not sure that will be connected?

Thanks very much in advance

Philip
Dunedin
New Zealand

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 August 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
I've found 2 sons (father Wolfenden, mother Watson) born Belfast-
Edward born 21 Dec.1883
Hubert Watson born 19 July 1885 died 12 Sept.1885
George born 19 Sept.1886-July/Sept.1887

Can't find death of Robert Wolfenden or son George in GRONI's database.

I did come across deaths, etc. for children of Thomas Wolfenden earlier- are you interested?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pgarch7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 August 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Aghadowey, I am very interested in anything connected  to  Edward, that is all new and fascinating to me.  can you link anything further up from Robert and is there a family connection to Lambeg churchyard? There was also a book called " A bit of a Kin" (I think), I am not sure that line was connected.

Are you related then?

Thanks very much.

Philip

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 August 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Philip,
         On 1 Sept 1886 Thomas Wolfenden married Elizabeth McCurley in Lambeg Church of Ireland. The fathers' names were Thomas Wolfenden and Arthur McCurley.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 August 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
This is possibly Edward Wolfenden's employer- Agincourt Ave. is off Ormeau Road and in same area where Edward was boarding. Sounds as though Edward was back in Belfast not long after he left school. His mother remarried 3 Aug.1898.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Agincourt_Avenue/967894

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 August 16 20:37 BST (UK) »

... One of my most treasured possessions is a small well bound Bible called a Polygott Bible it was given to Robert by his father (whose name must have been Thomas) ...

??? See reply #15.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 August 16 20:38 BST (UK) »

...  can you link anything further up from Robert and is there a family connection to Lambeg churchyard?

See reply #15.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 August 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Haven't tried to sort out who belongs to which Thomas Wolfenden but just in case you are able to connect them...

Derry Journal, 4 May 1881: WOLFENDEN- At Moorfields, Ballymena, Annie, third daughter of Thomas Wolfenden, aged 15 years.
Added- Annie Wolfenden born 27 July 1865 Ballymena district (mother Lewis)

Belfast Newsletter,  5 May 1882: WOLFENDEN- May 4th, at 7, Pine Street, Belfast, John, youngest son of Thomas Wolfenden. His remains will be removed for interment in Lambeg Churchyard to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, at two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.
Added- age 18

Note: 1880 Belfast directory shows a Henry West at 7 Pine St.

Belfast Newsletter, 30 June 1882: WOLFENDEN- June 28, at Church-hill Cottage, Lambeg, Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Thomas Wolfenden, aged 9 years. Her remains will be removed for interment in Lambeg Burying-groung this (Friday) afternoon, at two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.
Added- Elizabeth Wolfenden born 16 Oct.1872 Ballymena district (mother Lewis)
sister Charlotte born 23 Nov.1869 died 1880

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT9Y-9XQ

Belfast Newsletter, 14 May 1884: WOLFENDEN- May 8, at Annvale, Keady, County Armagh, the wife of Mr. Thos. Wolfenden, jun., of a son.