Author Topic: Help, where do I go from here???? next instalment!!  (Read 9569 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help, where do I go from here????
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 August 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
well this is certainly the most confusing tree I've tried helping!!!!!!!

I wonder if it is the same Terry A Seymour as the one born in Kent? I haven't been able to find other ones and living 2 lives would give the family a jolly good reason not to talk about him!!

Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls may be archived at a central library for an area. I don't know Kent but I suggest you contact the main library in Canterbury. Do you have the 1935 child's birth cert to give an address for Ellen that year? Is Terry Seymour named as the father?

I think certificates are the only way to prove whether Terry A Seymour born Blean 1916 is the same as Terry A Seymour who married Elsie Norton.  We  know the former had mother maiden name Hughes but both certificates will have the father's name.

Josey

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
I would suggest contacting Herne Bay Library for surviving electoral rolls/street directories - both of which could be really useful to your search (WELLS and SEYMOUR) - a visit would be even better if you are able to do so as it would be useful to go through all the available years if you can http://www.kent.gov.uk/LibrariespublicUI/OpeningTimes/LibraryDetails.aspx?id=10

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
I looked at the original for the 1943 Seymour marriage and I'm sure that Elsie's name is Norton or Rees [NOT Rose]; there is a birth in 1949 of a child Seymour MMN Rees in Taunton, Somerset though this doesn't fit in with the age on the sailing in 1949 found by Annie [perhaps the age 4 on passenger list was really a 1?].

I found a death for a Terry A Seymour in 2001 in Benton, Washington, USA but can't manage to access any other details as I don't have a world subscription to ancestry. Can try at the library...

Added later: Another Seymour child MMN Rees born 1943 Q1 in Frome [also Somerset] fitting in with the child aged 6 in 1949.

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi josey
I also think it's Norton or Rees and not Rose and I also saw that birth but as you say the ages don't tally up.
I don't have a world subscription to Ancestry either so will have to go to the Library as you say
Thank you for all your time and help
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
I found a death for a Terry A Seymour in 2001 in Benton, Washington, USA

The Social Security Death Index is accessible via Familysearch http://www.familysearch.org - birth date given as 10 Oct 1912

It might help to try and find the exact name(s) of Mr SEYMOUR from some source(s).

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
The SSDI also shows the death of Elsie Selena Seymour b.30/6/1913, d.21/4/2007 Benton, Washington so this looks like the wife of the coupe who married 1943.

However, as this and Terry's birthdate tie up with the immigration entries I found I'm wondering if this is a different Terry (the UK one in 1916 shows he was Terry A.J.) maybe an American/Canadian serviceman over here in WWII.

Annette.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the passenger list that Annette found - the younger child was 4/12 not 4 so is likely to be the 1949 birth I found.

However the crossing out that Annette pointed out is odd. Perhaps he was doing a Reggie Perrin!!

Just wondering are we treading in murky waters as the sons of this couple are likely to be still living?

Josey

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help, where do I go from here???? Next instalment!
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
So I have received the birth (not the marriage yet!!!)
The birth cert states:
DOB 10 October 1916
Terry Astley James
No fathers name given
Mother: Pansy Vera Seymour formerly Hughes
registered by the mother Hawthorn, Swalecliffe

i have found a marriage for Pansy vera W.Hughes to Ernest Walter Seymour 1908 St Geo H Sq
I can't find a birth for Pansy Hughes (or a marriage of a Pansy to a Mr Hughes)

Not much further on but thought I would update those of you who are as intrigued as I am!!!!

Suziq