Author Topic: Taylor family of Bridgnorth  (Read 16607 times)

Offline Marshdave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor family of Bridgnorth
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 October 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
I attach a photo of my father taken at the grave of Frank Cyril Taylor in Bridgnorth cemetery. His mothers maiden name was Taylor, on the other side of the tombstone are mentioned deceased members of the Seaward family.

Hi

I am researching my great, great grandfather's family and I have hit a stumbling block. This is the information I have so far;

WILLIAM TAYLOR (abt1830-?) was born in Shipton or Buittle in Shropshire. He married a MARY ? (abt1839-?) and had the following children;

1) THOMAS (1857-?)
know nothing about him!

2) JANE (1860-?)
know nothing about her!

3) MARTHA (1862-?)
know nothing about her!

4) WILLIAM (1864-?)
know nothing about him!

5) MARY (1866-?)
know nothing about her!

6) ALICE (1868-?)
know nothing about her!

7) ELIZA (1870-?)
know nothing about her!

8. SAMUEL (1873-1959)
married ALICE SEAWARD and had these children, Sidney Silas, Albert W, Florence M, Walter H, Frank Cyril and Alice Elsie (my great grandmother).

9) ALFRED (1875-?)
know nothing about him!

Can anyone help me with this family? I would like to know what happened to all the children. If anyone can help me with this family I would be very grateful! I would like to know what happened to them all, where they lived, worked, what children they had etc. I would also like to try and find photos of them too if possible.

Kind regards

Emma

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 October 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marshdave,

Welcome to RootsChat.

You said:
His mothers maiden name was Taylor,
<br>
No. His Mothers maiden name was SEAWARD.

As a new member, you weren't to know but in parallel to this TAYLOR message thread, there was a SEAWARD thread as well.
For littleem1906 who posted the original query, on the SEAWARD thread, I had already posted photographs of the TAYLOR and SEAWARD memorials, together with a full transcription of the memorials, on one of my web sites at;
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/familyhistory/variousfolder/various.html
With more recent photographs having been posted since, it's now towards the bottom of that page.

Gwynne
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marshdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 11 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwynne,
Thanks for your reply. I think I may have misled you. The man in my photo was my father Alec Marsh who along with his sister Doris Smith [ nee Marsh ] visited the Seaward/ Taylor graves on several occasions. Their parents were Alfred and May Marsh. May's maiden name was Taylor and she was obviously related hence the visits. When my father died in 1996 we scattered some of his ashes on the graves. During this visit Aunt Doris told me she had been born in Low town Bridgnorth and that her mother had carried her to the big church in High town.
The family subsequently moved to Birmingham.
Kind Regards

Dave Marsh

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 October 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave!

I see May Taylor was your grandmother? She was my granddad's aunt, as my granddad was the son of her sister Alice Elsie Taylor. My nan, who is still living, remembers May and met her a few times. My also went to my nan and granddad's wedding.
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
"William CASELEY age 35, bachelor, Pensioner? [not clear] of 35 Underhill St. Father = Edward CASELEY a Tailor.
to
Alice TAYLOR age 18, spinster, no occ. of 14 Hollybush Road. Father = William TAYLOR a Waggoner.

Witnesses were William RICKUS and Eliza   RICKUS."

At the risk of muddying the waters much further - I'm told by a cousin who has researched many more of the branches than myself that the Rickhus(s) family are related to my bunch of Taylors from Longden Coleham, Shrewsbury.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Whilst in Bridgnorth Library today, I met Dave Marsh and family. After showing them various information and photographs I've gathered about the TAYLOR and SEAWARD families, I was able to take them to the Hermitage caves that your ancestors lived in. I'll leave Dave to tell you the details.

I've recently been contacted by a third researcher, John from Scotland who is descended from Albert Sidney SEAWARD, b. 1897. John has booked a visit to Bridgnorth for several days, within the next two weeks.
May I give him your contact details? Perhaps the three of you could have a family reunion!!

Gwynne

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
That would be great Gwynne. Do you still have my email address?

I wasn't aware that people could still visit the caves. I heard that there was an accident there  while ago and the caves had been closed off. Is this correct?
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

In April 2009, one of a group of teenagers was killed in one the caves when part of the roof collapsed, caused by the heat from their fire.
Subsequently a metal fence has been erected to prevent people entering the caves.
What you have to visualize is a sandstone cliff with a long row of adjacent caves cut into them, rather than a 'tunnel' system. So fence or not, you can virtually see the same thing.
You can still walk along the frontage and even still see pockets in the rock face for roof trusses, etc.

I've asked John to contact you and Dave.

Gwynne
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Offline jilpad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 December 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
hi emma.

My grandfather was Sidney Silas,and I can just remember Elsie and her sister. Grandad had two sons .Ronald and Stanley (my father). He had five children .Myself Jill and my four brothers ,Robert Roy ,Michael and Mark. My uncle Ron apparently lost two children and then had my only cousin Jean,
My gran was named Olive Burdett and she was welsh. I heard that my great granddad,Samuel had two 'families. In the first one he had five children and the second one he had four.The youngest of the first family was Cyril who was said to be the last legitimate person to live in the hermitage caves. I have been trying to follow my ancestry but not very good at it ,lol. Really nice to hear of someone looking ...like me. Hope I have given you a bit more info about a small section of the Taylor family. :)