Author Topic: Thomas Ryan, Monsea, Tipperary  (Read 18798 times)

Offline MurrayF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Ryan, Monsea, Tipperary
« on: Friday 06 August 10 02:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to push my family tree beyond Thomas Ryan, born about 1750 in Monsea, Tipperary. Supposedly married to Bridget Hayes (although I am sceptical about this). He was supposedly manager of the Whitegates Farming Estate, Tipperary, as of 1780. The Griffiths Evaluations put him in Gorteenakilla, Monsea, Tipperary at the time of the assessment. His son Francis (1783-1856) is my maternal ggggrandfather.
I am going to Ireland this year, and would like to know what "leg work" I can do prior to the trip in terms of research.
I would appreciate any help, or suggestions from members.
Thank you.

Murray

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Ryan, Monsea, Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the dates ?

Griffiths' for the townland of Gorteenakilla took place in 1850 - so Thomas Ryan (1750) would have been about 100 by that time... and his son nearly 70

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MurrayF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane;
Thanks for your reply. I thought as I was posting the message that the dates really don't make sense. I am fairly sure about his birth date, and when he went to Whitegates Farming Estate (1780), which would have put him about age 30. It is unlikley that the Thomas Ryan in the Griffith's Valuation is a relative, although I will do some more digging on this.
Any suggestions on how to find out where the Whitegates Farming Estate was located? Ordnance Survey maps didn't exist at that time.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Murray

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
The Ordnance Survey of Ireland website include online versions of the 1st edition maps (1820s/1840s). If WhiteGates estate still existed at that stage you may be able to locate it on these. (The 6" maps are the oldest editions)

see : http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/

I Presume that it's possible that Whitegates is in or near to Gorteenakilla/Monsea. Do you have any idea what the nearest major town would be ?

Do you know who owned the estate ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Whitegates Lodge near the remains an old estate of Ballinacourty in South Tipperary. This I understand was the Massy Dawson estate. If this rings a bell the nearest main town is Tipperary to the north east and Hospital in Limerick to the west as it is just on the Tipperary Limerick border.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
thanks annclare I'll see if I can find that on the 1st edition map.

Meanwhile - here's the location of the townland of Gorteennakilla in the civil parish of Monsea on the OSI map : Gorteennakilla  (select 6" historic, of press 6 to view the 1st ed map)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline MurrayF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 August 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane and Annclare. I will look for Gorteenakilla on the maps today. Family documents suggest that Thomas Ryan was either the owner or steward (probably the latter) of Whitegates. The nearest town was Nenagh. It appears that the farm was between Lough Derg and Nenagh. Thomas' children are listed as Francis (1783), an un-named female (1784) who apparently married John Maxwell Fletcher of Shannon Hall, Nathaniel (1785), Edward (1786) and John (1792). The children are listed as being born either at Whitegates, or in Killaloe Dioces.
Thanks again for your help.

Murray

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 August 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
There's a town named Whitegates just across Lough Derg from Nenagh..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline MurrayF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 10 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane;
All of the information that I have so far suggests that the farm was on the Nenagh side of Lough Derg. However, knowing how things go in genealogical research, that may not be true either.

Murray