Author Topic: Wombourne Burial  (Read 5763 times)

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wombourne Burial
« on: Friday 06 August 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial record of my ancestor, Elizabeth Corns (formerly Rogers) who died 14th September 1867 age 27 at Windmill Bank, Wombourne, Staffordshire. She died from lung congestion and post partum bleeding (death certificate source). She was the wife of Joseph Corns and died shortly after the birth of her daughter, Jane Corns b 30th August 1867 at the same address.

There is a burial of an Elizabeth Corns infant 8th September 1867. This could possibly be another child born at the same time or shortly after but not showing in the indexes of births or deaths so may have been stillborn if it was hers. No baptismal entry either. This information was sent to me by an email request to the Staffordshire Record Office so I do not know whether they were looking at transcripts or film of the original parish register entries. I am hoping that the parish entry might reveal a bit more information on this burial e.g. parents names.

The mother, Elizabeth, was baptised and married at Wombourne and her children were baptised there too, so I find it unlikely to imagine a burial elsewhere ( I have tried the Trysull burials without success!) but remain open minded.

The church for Wombourne is St Benedict Biscop.

Thanks

Shaun

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Wombourne Burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Could you please tell me when Joseph Corns was born, I have a "double" here, with both Corns and Rogers....
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Could you please tell me when Joseph Corns was born, I have a "double" here, with both Corns and Rogers....

Joseph Corns was born at Wombourne 12th October 1838 (birth certificate). He was the son of Thomas Corns and Mary Cox. He married Elizabeth Rogers at Wombourne 25th May 1863 (marriage certificate). Elizabeth was the daughter of William Rogers and Jane Liming (birth certificate)

Cheers.

Shaun

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have William Rogers baptised (LDS) 6 Nov 1817 with parents James Rogers and Mary Meredith married 25 Dec 1802 Wombourn (LDS).
 James being the son of Daniel Rogers and Elizabeth Smith, marriage and births again from LDS.
I have Joseph Corns baptised 14 Oct 1838 Wombourn.  (LDS). Age 3 on the 1841 census. Son of Thomas Corns baptised 11 Feb 1810. He married Mary- I did not have her surname-only Mary from childrens baptisms, and census. Looking at the 1841 again, I see a Cox family are next door to the Thomas Corns family....Are these Marys parents?
Your Thomas b 1810 is the brother of  Henry Corns, my 3x gt grandfather, so by my working out we share Joseph Corns b 1780 and his wife Elizabeth Meredith, my 4x gt grandparents.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have William Rogers baptised (LDS) 6 Nov 1817 with parents James Rogers and Mary Meredith married 25 Dec 1802 Wombourn (LDS).
 James being the son of Daniel Rogers and Elizabeth Smith, marriage and births again from LDS.
I have Joseph Corns baptised 14 Oct 1838 Wombourn.  (LDS). Age 3 on the 1841 census. Son of Thomas Corns baptised 11 Feb 1810. He married Mary- I did not have her surname-only Mary from childrens baptisms, and census. Looking at the 1841 again, I see a Cox family are next door to the Thomas Corns family....Are these Marys parents?
Your Thomas b 1810 is the brother of  Henry Corns, my 3x gt grandfather, so by my working out we share Joseph Corns b 1780 and his wife Elizabeth Meredith, my 4x gt grandparents.
Yes I have those entries for the Rogers ancestors,
I have not researched the ancestors of Joseph Corns as they are not my blood relatives (as far as I know). I have, however, recorded his parents, Thomas Corns and Mary Cox, to help identification with any queries I might be asked. On this occasion I also recorded the mother of Thomas Corns as Elizabeth, since she was easily found together with other family members on the 1851 and 1861 censuses. And yes, I do believe that Joseph Cox and his wife Elizabeth, found on the 1841 census residing next to our Corns family may well be Mary's parents, though I haven't researched it sufficiently to my satisfaction to be certain.

Do you have a burial for my Elizabeth Corns (nee Rogers)?

Incidentally, when Joseph Corns married Elizabeth Rogers she already had a son, George Rogers b 1862 from whom I descend. Of course, Joseph may be the father of George but I have no way of knowing. When Elizabeth died after the birth of her daughter Jane Corns in 1867 Joseph disappears, not to be found anywhere again!! His daughter Mary Corns b 1865, his stepson George Rogers b 1862 and his father Thomas Corns all appear in the Seisdon Union workhouse at Trysull on the 1871 census with the remaining daughter, Jane Corns b 1867 now living with Thomas and Mary Hale at Windmill Bank. I am in touch with a living descendant of Jane Corns, still living at Wombourne, in the same house that her grandparents (James Cox and Jane Corns) raised her up in after the death of her father when she was only two years old.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do not have the burial for your Elizabeth. I notice on the last census Jane Corns married to James Cox, was he a cousin?The marriage was in Wolvs reg 1888.

I notice I also have in my notes- but unconfirmed by my research- so I have picked it up on Ancestry trees.Daniel Rogers b 1745 parents were Daniel Rogers and Ann Corns b 1707 daughter of Richard Corns and Ann Cartwright who were my 7x gt grandparents....

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
>..I notice on the last census Jane Corns married to James Cox, was he a cousin?...<

Not from my current level of research. I have the marriage certificate for James Cox and Jane Corns (known as uncle Jim and aunt Ginny to my grandmother). I have a couple of photographs of them.

Regarding the Rogers ancestors, so far I have only got back to Daniel Rogers b abt 1770 as the earlier info I saw on the Family Search site was a submitted entry and not an extracted one, so I could not rely on it as a source of proof. I need to spend more time on this side of the family but Bournemouth is a heck of a long way from Wombourne, though I have visited briefly and met Jane Corns grandaughter at Planks Lane and have a photo of the occasion.

Offline Snibor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Several years ago the late May Griffiths transcribed St Benedict Biscop (Wombourne) parish registers. Later I 'computerised' them.

From those records I have established that:
Joseph Corns and Elizabeth Rogers married 25/5/1863
Joseph Corns B Labourer Wombourne Father Thomas Corns Labourer
Elizabeth Rogers S Wombourne Father William Rogers Labourer
Witnesses Rachael Oaks, William Deans. The marriage was by Banns

Jane Corns was Baptised 18/9/1867

There were two Elizabeth Corns buried in 1867:
Elizabeth Corns, Blakeley buried April 14th age 24
Elizabeth Corns, Wombourne buried September 18th Infant

Later I will search my photographs of headstones to see if there is a stone for the April burial.

I hope the above helps.

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Ted. I did speak to May Griffiths whilst she was alive  and I could see she was passionate about local family history research. Unfortunately on this occasion she has either made a mistake or taken a view that the Burial register was wrong.

The entry for the burial of Elizabeth Corns, Infant, was dated the 8th September 1867, not the 18th September 1867. However, that entry appears following an entry dated 13th September 1867. So either the vicar forgot to enter the burial in the register on the day or he mistakenly entered the date as 8th instead of 18th. I guess we will never be sure. There is, of course, the question of who was the infant the child of.