Author Topic: Wombourne Burial  (Read 5755 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Wombourne Burial
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
CORNS, ELIZABETH       age 24 
GRO Reference: 1867  J Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 283   
CORNS, ELIZABETH       age 27     
GRO Reference: 1867  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 263

I cannot find the birth or death of an Elizabeth Corn(e)s in 1867.....

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Agreed. The one you show the index for in the September quarter 1867 is the one I have the death certificate for; i.e. Elizabeth Corns (formerly Rogers), age 27, wife of Joseph Corns, Nailer.

The burial of Elizabeth Corns, infant, 8th September 1867 remains a mystery as there is neither a birth nor death record. If she was stillborn then there would not have been a requirement to do so.

Offline Snibor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
You are correct the date should be the 8th of September 1867. However I made the assumption that the transcriber made an error there because of the other two entries to which you refer.

Regarding May, because of her mobility problems (not being able to get to the small room upstairs) for more than 10 years I did much of her research work. More recently one of her daughters became interested and took over from me. She, May,  often disagreed with me and I would suggest that we should agree to differ - she never accepted that.

Finally, after 'computerising' the parish registers I have produced combined indexes for the BMDs
in both date order and name order. I have also produced two, what I call Family Finders'. Again there are two versions - child to parents and parents to child/children. When looking at other postings I saw that silverpulser stated that Joseph Corns, son of Thomas and Mary, was born on the 12 October 1838. The parents to child version indicates the Joseph was christened 14th October and that he had a brother John who was christened on the 14th December 1834. The date order index brings marriages together. Should you or anyone else wish to learn similar info please do not hesitate in asking me.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
"CORNS, ELIZABETH       age 24 
GRO Reference: 1867  J Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 283"

Where does 24 year old Elizabeth come in, anyone? 
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Snibor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 December 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I trust the following may be of help.
From May’s churchyard survey I have found the spot where your Elizabeth might have been buried.
May’s survey primarily concerned the older part of the churchyard, where plots/graves are identified by numbers, some of which have alpha suffixes. The plot where Elizabeth may have been buried is 224v.
In the Survey May has put the name Corns - no mark next to that number.
Unfortunately, the suffix v indicates that a person, it could have been May herself, had provided information employing local knowledge.
Having found that record I examined others with similar numbers. I found that the dates given on the inscriptions varied widely, for example 224 is the Keay family where the dates given are 1886, 1888,1898 and 1903..
223 Shirley Yates died 1949
222v Lees - no mark
221v Gittins - no mark
221vv Lees - no mark.
225 Lake - no date – Vase
226 Corns 1944 and 1945
From the above you will see that the dates given are many years apart – from the late 1800s to 1945. You will also see the large number of ’no marks. The reason for both could be because in that area, memorials have moved downhill or simply sunk into the ground due to the fact that Wombourne is built upon fine sand. Lines of plots that were once straight are now anything but straight and there are many blank spaces.
If you wish to visit the location 224v then I will gladly provide details to pin point the location.
Alternatively, I could send you a photo of plot 224 and/or 226. As I said previously I hope this is of some help.

Offline Snibor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I have just been down to the churchyard - disappointing but not unexpected.
The situation is much worse than I expected. I did however find the headstone of Gunner A Burton (Plot 220) who died in 1943. The plot is the last in that row.
I went back to the path moved up the path to the next row. At the beginning of that row there was a large headstone followed by the space that would have contained at least 5 or 6 plots. There I fond a plot with a large headstone and marble edging - nothing readable. A short distance on I found the headstone of William and Ellen Maria Corns (Plot 226).
If your Elizabeth was the Corns of plot 224v then her plot would have been the second plot back towards the path. I took some photographs that may be of interest. Please let me know.