Author Topic: Lookup request for Mary Collingridge Burial 1819 Bloxham  (Read 6482 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for Mary Collingridge Burial 1819 Bloxham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Have just had a quick look at Len's website (have not done as much as Len) and he does have Soloman as a son of Martha but he only has the DoB.  He also has Edwin but not Annie or William.  He does have Martha emigrating between 1881 & 1884 (source being a Stacey Sirila Johnson) and then dying in USA but not sure if he knew that she was with Soloman.

Good to know about the other living descendants.   I have in the last few days cleared up some great details on a descendant from my mohers side in New York in 1870.

Nice to have this new information, thanks

I see that you are new to Rootschat - it really is a great forum, I have had so much success from it.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Just found this fascinating exchange. Hope it's not too late to add to it.
William Collingridge Snr was my 4th great grandfather. My line goes through Elizabeth, his daughter, who married Thomas Clark Hicks in Godlington on 11 Apr 1809. I have learnt a great deal from these pages; please would you explain what 'being removed' from a parish entailed? Why were they removed? Is this something to do with destitute people being sent back to their original parishes to get relief?
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonosue

Yes as you say remove from parish means that if a resident was receiving parish assistance from a parish where they were not originally from they would be removed back to their original parish.  I have been in touch with a cousin of mine who undertook all the original work on the family tree and he says in this case William & Sarah with daughter Mary were removed from the parish to Wiggington on 7 Jan 1815 (Removal Order). Wiggington subsequently attempted to estabish that the settlement was not legal but apparently without success as William died and was buried in Wiggington almost twenty years later.

With regard to Elizabeth Collingridge marriage.  We have Elizabeth marrying a Zachariah Print in Bloxham on the 16 Oct 1806 (from Oxfordshire parish records).  They had 3 children, Elizabeth, John and Wiiliam.  We have Elizabeth marrying a William Priest in Bloxham (2 June 1825) after Zacariah had died in Bloxham in 1818.

The Bloxham marriage looks a more likely marriage.  Godington is 18 miles from Bloxham. 

Also the Hicks/Collingridge marriage states that Thomas Hicks was from the parish of Bicester and Elizabeth Collingridge was "of this parish" which was Godington.

Sorry to break this news, but it looks like your Elizabeth is from a different Collingridge family - or we may be wrong!!!

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ray, for replying so promptly. I did  think I might be too late adding to a post as old as this one was originally!
It does seem that I have the wrong Elizabeth Collingridge, I agree. 18 miles was a long way in those days. Do your records cover Bicester and Goddington? If so, would you be kind enough to see if you can find the right one? I am pretty sure I am right about subsequent generations, I have found enough evidence to convince me that Thomas Clarke and Elizabeth (but which one?) are my forbears.
There is a history of Catholicism in my family - Thomas and Elizabeth's son (also Thomas) was definitely catholic. I wonder, if you have access to them, it is worth looking for Elizabeth's baptism in the catholic records?
Thanks again for your help.
Sue

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I don't have the birth records for Oxfordshire before 1813, and I can't find anything online either.  There is an online tree which has your Elizabeth born 1787 in Brampton Oxfordshire (no parents) but I don't know how correct that is.

You say that Thomas was catholic but I do believe that he married a Mary Gibb in 1849 (he is still with his parents on 1851 census with his wife) and that marriage took place in the parish church at Brampton on the 28 May 1849.

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 April 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Have just found a reference to a William Collingridge in Godington in 1820.  It is a newspaper report asking that anyone having a claim on the estate of a William Eaton, recently deceased farmer of Cottisford to send their demands to William Collingridge of Goddington or Samuel Churchill Fields of Deddington.  It also asks for anyone owing William Eaton any monies to pay it to Mr Collingridge in Goddington or to the office of Churchill & Fields at Deddington.

This came from Jackson Oxford Journal 20 May 1820.  Unfortunately I cannot copy the piece but I have covered all the major points.

Offline LenD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Let us try to help with identifying the Elizabeth Collingridge that Jonosue seeks.
Thomas Clark Hicks married Elizabeth Collingridge of Godington on 11 April 1809 by licence at Godington, witnesses were Elizabeth White and Henry Collingridge.
There were eight other Collingridge marriages in Godington, the earliest was between 1763 and 1765, the uncertainty because the incumbent forgot to enter the year, and the last was the Hicks/Collingridge marriage. Only four of the eight Collingridge marriages involved a male Collingridge so we have four contenders for parents/grandparents of Elizabeth who married in 1809 so was born I surmise between 1775 and 1790. Because they were Roman Catholics I can find no baptisms. The most likely ancestors appear to be Henry & Elizabeth (nee White) married in Codington on 11 October 1766. Elizabeth left a long rambling will proven in 1806 which can be accessed on Ancestry, from which I learned of her son James and granddaughter Elizabeth. I could not find a convincing marriage for James in Oxfordshire and it seems that he probably died in 1803.
Without baptismal records I fear I am stuck.
Reverting to Thomas Clark Hicks, he was baptised in Bicester on 29 december 1782, the son of William & Mary (nee Clark). They had married in Chesterton in November 1779. Thomas & Elizabeth's son, Thomas, seems to have been baptised on 17 January 1810 in Bicester.

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for doing so much research on my behalf. :) I am sorry not to have replied sooner  - bit of a health issue side-tracked me for a bit, but I am still in the land of the living!
Yes, Thomas Hicks, son of Thomas Clark and Elizabeth Collingridge, was born in Gravesend in 1810.  He married Mary Golding in 1833, in Westminster. Thomas Clark and Elizabeth, having married in Goddington, then seem to have settled back in Bicester. So how they came to meet and marry at a distance is a mystery. He was a tailor, as was his son Thomas, (who in fact was a military tailor, and features in a different place for many of the subsequent censuses). I have found Thomas Clark in the Universal British Directory for Bicester, where he is listed as a a principal inhabitant,"Hicks, Thomas, Taylor and Parish Clerk". Would there be any parish archives from this period that would provide any more information about him?