Author Topic: Obadiah & Ann AVERY  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obadiah & Ann AVERY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 November 12 06:36 GMT (UK) »
They are also recorded in the newspaper as arriving on that ship, but I have no idea why they are not on the passenger list.  They do not appear in the names of cabin passengers either.  If they did not board then you would think that they would not appear in the newspaper arrivals.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12856655

Strangely, all the bounty amounts add up - might have to look at the maths again.  Perhaps the Master was making a profit on the side by not including them  ;D

Debra  :)

Offline jh99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 November 12 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link. By the way there is an Ann Wheatley on the ships list under the "single women" category which can be understood as she was the oldest by about 2 years but where are the rest of them. I have read various accounts of his life upon arrival but none mention the ship, just the year.

By the way I have just "found" or rather re-found a lost daughter of John Wheatley's. I had deleted her from my tree as I could find no proof of the connection but descendants of that daughter have come to light who want to be included on the tree and they had the names of the ancestors all the way up to the Wheatleys, Shaws etc.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 November 12 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Males under 18 years and females under 15 years were listed with their parents, children older than that were recorded as separate passengers.

Debra  :)

Offline Janiceej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 00:49 BST (UK) »
Obadiah AVERY b 1815 Maresfiel, Sussex, England; arriv "Roxburgh Castle" 26/05/1839; Carpenter;  Leaseholder Camden 1860’s; Not listed 1875 Electoral Roll; d 09/02/1890 Goulburn; name also spelt "Every"; Wife: Ann (Wheatley)
Ann WHEATLEY b 28/07/1821 Maresfield, Sussex, England; arriv "William Metcalf" 31/08/1838; d 1902 Goulburn
Avery & Wheatley married 1841 St. Paul's C/E Cobbitty.
Ann arrived with parents William & Ann Avery and at least 2 brothers.
John born 21/06/1823 d 27/02/1916 Gunning m Margaret Shaw
William Alfred b 26/05/1825 Maresfield, Sussex, England d 23/04/1893 Narellan buried  Cawdor Uniting, NSW; married 23-7-1850 Collector, NSW Tryphaena Ann STEAD born 1831 Philadelphia, USA (Child of John James Stead & Caroline Mabbott) arrived c.1842 died 15-10-1885 Narellan, NSW