Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104699 times)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #297 on: Friday 24 March 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Great research as usual Ian ... if you ever take this up professionally, put me down as a potential client!

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Sunday 26 March 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon I appreciate the comment. Truth is though I was just following up on your previous leads, which demonstrates the collective research benefits from participation in this 'Board'.

Cheers
Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Well its been along time without a Post being made, but I hope all previous contributors are still following. I just noted that in a recent newsletter from Durham Records Online they included the following transcript;

Tynemouth Christ Church marriages 1837-1842

1,172 marriages at Christ Church Tynemouth in the Tynemouth district of Northumberland, from 1 July 1837 (when civil registration started) to the end of 1842. These have all the details you want, except that most of them say “full age” (meaning over 21, the age of consent) instead of giving the actual age.

19 Jan 1840 William Brumwell (bachelor, master mariner), full age, of this parish, son of John Brumwell (surgeon) married Mary Frances Moses (spinster), full age, of the parish of Cockfield, County of Durham, daughter of Thomas Moses (architect), by licence
Witnesses: Martha Moses, Thomas Oxley

Abodes listed other than this parish include many in County Durham, which lies just across the River Tyne. Primarily we see Bishopwearmouth, Earsdon, Gateshead, Gosforth, Heworth, Hexham, Newcastle, Wallsend, and quite a few from South Shields.

This ties in with the earlier posts on page 27 (240 & 241) where Jon surmised that the clerk had wrongly entered the fathers name as John rather than William.

Cheers Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I have another Post to make this time about the benefits of DNA Testing for genealogical purposes and why those associated with the  'Stephenson' family should consider doing so.

Firstly it can help prove family connections and also prove or disprove those stories that have been passed down through family circles.

As I have mentioned previously my wife's Great Grandmother Annie Sheehan, the wife (2nd wife) of Henry Stephenson (Snr), was stated to have been an Anglo Indian, her father Irish and her mother Indian. Well my wife and two of her sisters have all done DNA tests and all three have had their ethnicity confirmed as 100% European. Clearly her GGMother was born in India but both her Parents were European and presumably Irish.

On Ancestry DNA my wife has had a High Match with a Peter Stephenson (100 centimorgans shared across 2 DNA segments) suggesting a 3rd or 4th Cousin. He has just uploaded a Family Tree to his DNA and his direct line is from JAS >Philip Charles John Stephenson >John Clement Stephenson. However of great interest is that he has identified John Stephenson (the Chemist) as being a John E Stephenson born 1791 Cooladerry Farm, Raphoe, Donegal, Ireland and who's parents were Robert M Stephenson 1753 - 1838, Margaret "Peggy" Lindsey 1756 - 1846. Robert's father is stated as a Andrew Stephenson b1720 in Ayrshire, Scotland who died 1798 Raphoe, Donegal, Ireland.

Because no one on this Board has been able to establish where John was born, other than circa 1795 presumed Yorkshire, Peter's Tree could be a great advance for us. Given the importance of this I have asked him if he could provide the documented proof of his findings. I await, as I am sure we all will, his confirmation.

If others can now do a DNA Test it would help in linking the family ties. It really is an easy and relatively cheap process with many benefits.

Cheers Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Peter Stephenson has come back to me to say the link to John E Stephenson from Donegal has proven to be in error.
Cheers Ian

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I was sceptical for several reasons Ian, despite the apparent DNA support... but didn't want to say. Thanks for the update.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon good to see you at least are still following, the Others? Yes I also had my doubts given stated family names and Ireland and reason I asked for documentary evidence. At least another family member has been linked to JAS.
Cheers Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
John Stephenson's (Snr) 'Treatise on the Manufacture of Saltpetre' printed Calcutta 1835, is now available as a Google Ebook. Has 113 pages and original is sourced from the British Museum, with a reference to the writer as John William James Stephenson. However the Treatise only states by John Stephenson.

A couple of interesting points.

He states he was responsible for the Government Factories in Behar which included the Singhea Factory. Pages 69 to 86 detail his Experiments at Singhea over the period 1831 to 1834. Singhea was where Henry, Harriet (Indianna) & Catherine were born 1832,1833 and 1835 respectively.

Page 33 has the following statement;

'But in a climate like India, an Englishman would sink under the usual work that his fellow Indian labourer effects, especially over a steaming saltpetre boiler. From 1824 to 1828, I paid my workmen in London at the rate of 16 shillings a week, equal to £3-6s per month.'

We know he went to India in 1829, but the assumption was that he came from Newcastle. However given the above he might have actually been based in London.

The Ebook can be found here:

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=a8Gw9YWu84cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=JOHN+STEPHENSON+SALTPETRE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPvZCniv3cAhUW5LwKHWnOArkQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=JOHN%20STEPHENSON%20SALTPETRE&f=false

Cheers Ian

PS Re the name of John William James Stephenson I knew I had commented on this before and did so here on page 19 as follows;

Maggie,

I went to British Library for a few hours in 2009 to search for one of JS Snr's Journals, in the hope it may give educational titles or any other reference that could assist in researching him further.

THe 1835 Journal was part of a rare book and could not be copied or scanned, but I was able to review.

British Library had the author down as John William James Stephenson, so I was quite exicited by this as only seen references as just John Stephenson. However in reviewing book the cover page showed the following:

'Treatise on the manufacture of saltpetre, descriptive of the operations and proper plans to be used for the manufacture of culmee & cooteah'

'Dedicated by permission to the Chamber of Commerce of Calcutta by John Stephenson, Calcutta 1835 Late Superintendant of the Hon Company's saltpetre factories in Behare'.

Where the BL got the name JWJS from this was unclear. However they did have another reference to a Elementary Treatise on  Mechanics by JWJS but this was dated1864. In the end I concluded the 1835 book indexed to JWJS was incorrect.

Just mentioning this so you don't repeat this search when you are at BL. BL Ref:

http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/Q45IBS2IDSB1C38T3MLVSM29X33BSAGLRAHMXABEJRBNK4K19N-16024?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=027669987

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Sunday 09 September 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all!  Sorry for being away for so long. I lost my login details, and because my email address has changed I couldn't retrieve them; OK now.
Just going back over previous posts to catch up.
All that I can add is that my great grandfather, John Smith Stephenson, won the Sunderland Quoits Championship in 1885! I have the cup.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.