Author Topic: Look up please - tandragee church graveyard  (Read 10491 times)

Offline norbunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up please - tandragee church graveyard
« on: Friday 06 August 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please. My grandmother Mary Elizabeth Bunting (nee Castles) is buried in Tandragee Church yard. Is this St Marks - Ballymore Parish Church? She was married to William Robert Bunting on 31 March 1893. I believe she was born around 1873 in Derryadd as she was 38 on the 1911 census. They had several children. She died circa 1912.  She was living at the Gate Lodge of Gilford Castle when she died. I would be very grateful if someone could have a look for her grave and let me know what is on the gravestone.

One of her sons Thomas James Bunting is also buried in the churchyard. He was born circa 1894 - age 7 on 1901 census - and died 1911 - He was entered on 1911 census and crossed off as dead - so possibly died around that time or just before - March/April 1911.   

There may well be other family members in the churchyard but if someone can find the 2 mentioned above, I will be very pleased.   :)
Paternal : Norris, Craig, Erwin, McCorkell
Maternal : Bunting, Castles, Stevenson, Warren, McKenna

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please - tandragee church graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Norbunt,
I visited St Marks (C of I) church graveyard today but unfortunately could not find any graves with the name Bunting. I also visited the Presbyterian and Methodist graveyards at Tandragee but still no record of Bunting that I could see. Perhaps you could contact the church and ask for burial records. Good luck with your search.
Norh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Most Presbyterian Churches do not keep burial registers. Church of Ireland register may, or may not, record the names of non-members buried in their churchyard.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Rootsweb had a tree of Mary Castles b 1871 Derryadd  marrying John Bunting a while ago, but not now.  James Castles and Margaret Warren were Mary's parents.  Richard Castles and Isabella McKenna were James' parents.   Margaret Warren's father was Thomas Warren.  No word on burials. The tree was fairly large, but had lots of dead ends in Africa and Scranton, Pennsylvania.  Possibly some of the families members have information. I'll send what I saw if this is your family.

Offline norbunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 August 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi.

North - Thank you so much for checking out the graveyards for me. I was told by my uncle that they were buried in Tandragee Church yard so I am puzzled but maybe he meant another graveyard. I am very grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to look in all 3.  :)  :)  :)

KatC - Thank you for your info. Part of the reason I wanted to know what was on the gravestone was to identify which Mary Castles was my family as I have looked at the Mary you referred to but she was born 1871 and mine should be 1873. From the info you have given me, I now know that this Mary is not my family, so James Castles and Margaret Warren are not my grandmother's parents as I thought they were. Thank you so much for helping me to work this out. Back to the drawing board. It is still progress to identify who isn't family.  ;D

aghadowey - the font of all knowledge. Thank you for this info. I may put in a new query shortly to persue my family lines. I am new to this site but I think it is wonderful!!! 8) 8)
Norbunt

Offline norbunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 August 10 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again -

KatC - If you are still there.  I have rechecked all my sources - Census 1901 and 1911, Emerald Ancestors and IGI and I still think that James Castles and Margaret Warren are the parents of my grandmother Mary Castles who married William Robert Bunting on 31 March 1893 in Lurgan. (not Robert Bunting).  Would you mind letting me have what you saw as you said in your message so that I can look into this further.  Thank you for your trouble and apologies for messing you around.   :-[

Regards Norbunt

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 August 10 02:16 BST (UK) »
If you can't read the tree, let me know.  I found James' baptism in Lurgan First Presbyterian Church records.  He was born Jan 19th and Richard was in Annaloist then and with John, Thomas, Elizabeth's baptisms.  When Richard was baptized the family was in Derryadd.  They seem to have switched churches after that.  Would they have a family plot in Lurgan?

I can't join family, but there was a John Castels at the church in 1760, James Castles  in 1762 and a steady number after that. There is a break in the church records at 1775, so Richard's baptism is not there. 

Note your Duffy/Castle marriage- here is another.  Thomas Castles married Margaret Duffy having day Mgt Jane Jan 12, 1848, John in 1849, etc.  Sometimes   that indicates some sort of relationship. 

Offline norbunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 August 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi KatC.  Thank you so much for your online reply and PM. I have a lot of information to digest now. Some of what you have told me agrees with information I had and some is new or different. - I am treating Jane and James as twins as I have found separate entries for each.  There is still some confusion but you have really helped me to move on and explore some more.  Thank you so much .  ;D

Norbunt

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 August 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
If you ever prove this is "your" Margaret...
Margaret Warren (born c. 1845-6) who m James Castles was the daughter of Thomas Warren born 1819 and his wife Jane Deborah Browne.  This couple had 10 children, Margaret being the fourth, so born sometime after her brother Matthew in 1844.
This family is well documented and generally known as the "Tullyheron Warrens".  I believe there is a lengthy family tree in the archives of the National Library for this family.  The christian name Matthew crops up regularly down through the lines.

Cheers