Author Topic: Elizabeth (Leusa King) - COMPLETED  (Read 11187 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (Leusa King)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 10 02:30 BST (UK) »
  :)

I've done a wee bit of investigation and I think that this  is possibly Leusa in 1891:

109 Manod Road, Ffestiniog  (no 111 on this census - it goes 113, 112, 109)
RG12/4645/57/37

John Morris, 57, Rockman (slate) , b. Caernarvon
Laura Morris, 58, b. Gwynfryn
Dorothy Morris, 20, b. Ffestiniog
Elizabeth A Morris, 14, b. Llwyngwril
John Morris, 11, b. Ffestiniog

and in 1901:

2 South End, Ffestiniog
RG13/5258/99/18

Jane Davies,wid, 61, grocer-shopkeeper, b. Bethesda
Elizabeth Ann Williams, d in l, 24, b. Llwyngwril
Jane Ann Williams, 2 months, b. Ffestiniog
Richard Price, son, 21, slate quarryman b. Caernarvon
Jane Ann Price, d in l,  20, b. Ffestiniog

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 10 02:50 BST (UK) »
There is also a possible family on the 1881 in Ffestiniog - Conglywal - RG11/5550/66/31 but it's slightly out.

I think that the 1891 John and Laura are her grandparents - on the 1871 RG10/5696/60/28, they have a son, John, who fits the father on the  1881.

Here's the 1881, anyway:

Conglywal, Ffestiniog
RG11/5550/66/31

John Morris, 27, quarryman, b. Dyffrun (?Dyffryn)
Ann Morris, 25, b. -do-
Elizabeth Anne Morris, 4, b. -do-
John Morris, 1, b. Ffestiniog

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 August 10 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again  :)

Forgot to put these details up ~ probably John Ellis Jones and first wife in 1901

92 Woodfield Terrace, Llanwonno, Pontypridd
RG13/5005/45/29

Jones
John E, 34, repairer in coal mine, b. Caernarvonshire
Ellen, 31, b. Merionethshire
Jane E, 8, b. -do-
Ellis W, 7, b. -do-
Richard G, 4, b. -do-
Edith W, 3, b. -do-
John Williams, boarder, 19, repairer in coal mine, b. Montgomeryshire
William J Owen, boarder, 19, -do-, b. -do-

Gadget

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.

They are the right family.

Arwel  ;)
Pugh - Dolgellau/Arthog/Ffestiniog
Evans - Dolgellau/Llanegryn (Felin Fach)
Jones - Treherbert/Ffestiniog, Dolwyddelan
Lewis - Pentre Gwynfryn, Llanbedr
Morris - Cricieth/Llanystumdwy, Ffestiniog
Jones - Dolgellau/Dolgledr (Craigyrhelbul)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 August 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Just as a note for you - I have slate mining ancestors from Garndolbenmaen and FFestiniog who then moved down to South Wales - Treherbert in fact - but then they travel backwards and forwards between North and South Wales living with grandparents and then back to parents - this is all the way through to the 30's when my immediate line moved back up to Garndolbenmaen; some of the other lines stayed down South but others moved back North. 

I had a really hard time trying to find one of my G grandmother's "Mary Ann Lloyd" in 1911  finally found her by trawling through the census for Blaenau looking at her mother;s siblings and where they were - thankfully one was called Moses - so didn't cost me too many credits ! She was living in the house as part of an extended family  with him, his father (her grandfather) an aunt and cousins born in Treherbert. 

I think that there was a regular movement to and from - My eldest Aunt (b 1918) basically said that the grandparents up North needed help and it was one less mouth to feed down South.
nesta

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 October 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Diolch Nesta,

Elizabeth (Leusa King) moved down to Pontypridd with her children and John Ellis Jones (while she was still married to her husband, Hugh Williams) and lived with John Ellis and his children, as his house keeper.

She fell pregnant in 1913 with my grandfather, her and John Ellis first child together.  They married later that year again, while she was still married to Hugh Williams!

Elizabeth later moved back to Ffestiniog with her children, leaving John Ellis and his children from his first marriage down in Pontypridd.

By all accounts, she never went back to Pontypridd after this time and settled in Ffestiniog until her death around 1950 ish.  I'm yet to find her grave!  I've made numerous visits to cemetaries all over and have failed to find her!  Some say she was married again after John Ellis and that her surname would have been Griffiths!!  I've also heard an account from my elderly neighbour saying she remembers Elizabeth fighting in the streets with other women, over a man! What a woman!

Arwel

Just as a note for you - I have slate mining ancestors from Garndolbenmaen and FFestiniog who then moved down to South Wales - Treherbert in fact - but then they travel backwards and forwards between North and South Wales living with grandparents and then back to parents - this is all the way through to the 30's when my immediate line moved back up to Garndolbenmaen; some of the other lines stayed down South but others moved back North. 

I had a really hard time trying to find one of my G grandmother's "Mary Ann Lloyd" in 1911  finally found her by trawling through the census for Blaenau looking at her mother;s siblings and where they were - thankfully one was called Moses - so didn't cost me too many credits ! She was living in the house as part of an extended family  with him, his father (her grandfather) an aunt and cousins born in Treherbert. 

I think that there was a regular movement to and from - My eldest Aunt (b 1918) basically said that the grandparents up North needed help and it was one less mouth to feed down South.
nesta

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 October 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
You're telling me what a woman - My G Grandmother had 2 children (Nain being one) before she married my step (!) ggrandfather;  I was an adult when my Mum finally told me where her Mum was born - knowing the area I'm sure you can guess where and then Nain was known by several variations of her name Lizzie Lloyd ! Lizzie Evans, Elizabeth ......and on.  She was actually registered as Elizabeth Lloyd - I must get her certificate and see if there is a father there !  She married as Lizzie Evans and named her stepfather as her father.  The grave I am looking at is her elder brother's.  Apparently he did quite well for himself.

Maybe we should compare notes on Blaenau families - this side is my next project.

Hwyl

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting Nesta!  Isn't it amazing to find out what our ancestors got up to, even if some of the stories make us cringe!!

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
But wouldn't it be boring if they were all staunch and upright chapel goers !
N