Author Topic: Graham Family of Dundalk and Drogheda.  (Read 12593 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Graham Family of Dundalk and Drogheda.
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know about the Ancestors and descendants  of John Graham (1729-77), of Platten, MP for Drogheda, 1749-68
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Graham Family of Dundalk and Drogheda.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
John GRAHAM: b. 1729; d.17 Apr. 1777 in Great Georges Street, Dublin. Son of Rt. Hon. William Graham and Mary, dau. of George Granville, 1st Baron Landsdowne. Married: Dorothy Sophia, dau.of Richard Gorges. Children: james. William, Elizabeth Gertrude, Mary. MP for Drogheda 1749-60; 1761-68. Coroner for Drogheda Town 1752, Sheriff of Co. Meath 1753. Residence Plattin, Co. Meath

His father:Rt. Hon.  William GRAHAM: son of John Graham & Charity [?] of Newtown of Drogheda. Married 14 Mar 1729/30 MAry (d.1735) 2nd dau. of George Granville, 1st Baron Landsdowne. Children: John (above), Granville, ?William. Residence: Platin Hall

William's father: John Graham (b. before 1659; d. 1717), son of Robert Graham of Co. Armagh and Mary Bell. Married 24th Apt. 1860 Charity, dau of [?] Newtown of Drogheda. Children: Robert,  m. Cicily, dau of Christopher Cusack; Rt. Hon William (above); Thomas; ?ELizabeth, m. Rev. Rowland SIngleton; Sarah, m. 18 Nov 1714 Rt. Hon. SIr Thomas Taylor, 2nd Bt.; Charoty, m. Richard Pennefather; Christian, m. Mathew Forde;  ?Anne, m. Joshua McGeough of Drumsilk. Alderman of Drogheda 1713.

The source of the above information is: Edith Mary Johnston-Liik, History of the Irish Parliament 1692-1800. Vol 4, 2002

There is a further link to Richard Gorges, but you may have all this information already. I'm nor too sure of the two marriages to "Charity [?] of Newtown of Drogheda". It seems a bit coincidental.

You will find numerous references to the Grahams as Drogheda aldermen in Rev T. Gogarty, Council Book of the Corporation of Drogheda, Drogheda 1915, reprinted 1988. There is an index of sorts to the book on my website www.jbhall.freeservers.com . Scroll down the front page and you will see the links.

Hope that helps a bit.

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Please ignore my comment above " I'm nor too sure of the two marriages to "Charity [?] of Newtown of Drogheda". It seems a bit coincidental."

I was mis-reading the article in the book. Or maybe it was just a senior moment!

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline iplittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 01:02 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally I came across John Graham and also Charity Graham recently as I've been doing some research on the Palatine settlements and specifically I was interested to try to find out where or with whom in Louth Palatine families were settled with.

I found that Alderman John Graham was one of the listed estate owners in 1709/1710 who was signed up to receiving Palatine families on to his lands. Somewhat later a muster roll of Palatines showed that there was one family with head of family named, Philip Boller resident at Plattin (presumably as an agricultural tenant/labourer with accomodation). I believe that roll call was made either in 1715 or , more likely, 1720.
The landowner was then listed as Charity Graham rather than John Graham.

I had found this http://genforum.genealogy.com/newton/messages/5005.html link which shows a will of a Maj. Gen John Newton of Drogheda. He lists out his nephews (incl. John Graham) and nieces (including Charity). Of course, perhaps, John's wife was Charity and daughter named after her.
I've seen John Graham's name on several of the deed agreements in the early 18th century in the title deeds of Louth records published within the Louth Historical/Archaeological society journals.
I understand that he was a very successful property developer (to use modern terms) and that there may be still a plaque in honour of him in St Peter's church of Ireland in Drogheda.

<side note>
Incidentally I am still looking into the wider Louth area regarding the extent of any Palatine settlements in Louth. Louth was one of the listed counties but really the settlements in Limerick, Cork, Wexford , Carlow and later Kerry had sufficient populations of Palatines to be described as settlements.

I started this investigation after I learned of some family lore in relation to my own surname which indicated that we were introduced into Louth a long time ago and had a German connection.
I have a list of 30+ landowners , mostly drawn from the influential Whigs in political and judicial power and within the large landholding classes of the early 18th century who were originally signed up to take on Palatines. I found this information in the Tennyson Groves transcripts of communications regarding the settlement of Irish Palatines. I may forward the list to Brendan or the forum to see if historians amongst you can recognise which of these may have had land interests in Louth.
I have specific information regarding a family in Ardee and mid-Louth and I am trying to unravel it at the moment.

-Ian

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 August 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hope that helps a bit.
Brendan

Dear Brendan, Thank you for this wealth of information which will keep me busy for some time.
I still need to know if there was any connection between this family and the Alexander Graham, Merchant of Dundalk, 1800-24th. April, 1851, son of Peter Graham, 1777-24th. Dec. 1846.
 and father of John Graham, 1823-1865 and grandson of Alexander Graham, 1861-1942.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 August 10 11:09 BST (UK) »

I've seen John Graham's name on several of the deed agreements in the early 18th century in the title deeds of Louth records published within the Louth Historical/Archaeological society journals.
-Ian
Dear Ian, Thank you for this wealth of information, which will take some time to absorb.

Offline TheresaW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
What a surprise to come across this info on Ald.John Graham and Charity Newton.I have been researching my mothers family.I am descended from Robert,Ald John Graham's eldest son.
I was surprised to see in a message here that they had him married to Cicily Cusack because in our papers they said he was married with two children John and Charity but never gave his wifes name at all.We know he was passed over in his fathers will in favor of William and I wondered if this had anything to do with who he married.
By the way you will find a lot of the name Charity in this family as well as John.It does get confusing.

Offline TheresaW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
In my previous message I mentiom Robert(Ald John Grahams)son.I have my Graham family traced ancester to ancester back to Robert Graham 1620 to1680 who married Mary Bell.
It is his father that is proving difficult.I believe it is a John Graham who died in 1638 and married a Margaret.I think he may be from the Border Grahams.I know he lived in Ballyheridan Co. Armagh.
It is this chap I need help with.
Thanks
TheresaW

Offline bmjon450

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:28 GMT (UK) »
John Graham (b circa 1800) of Dundalk was tried for theft in 1824 and was transported to NSW on the Hooghley December 1824. He committed a second offence for which he was sent to Moreton Bay. He escaped and lived with Aborigines, returning to Moreton Bay when he believed his sentence was up. Meanwhile it was not enough for time to have passed he had to make up for the time he absconded.
In 1836 word reached Moreton Bay of a shipwreck and the capture of crew by Aborigines. He volunteered to assist recover those captured. His role, knowledge of language and customs as well his skill at negotiating with those reluctant to let Mrs Fraser (wife of the now deceased captain of the Stirling Castle) go was decisive. He received money and his freedom.
What were his origins in Dundalk?
What happened to him after January 1837 when he received his freedom?
Cheers
Brian