Author Topic: adelaide family McINTYRE  (Read 23967 times)

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adelaide family McINTYRE
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi D, sorry, but i'm not sure it's as simple as that; I wish it was! It was I who put one of those entry's in the Bio. Index of S.A.'s 25 years or so ago. It was the most logical view at the time but I was never completely happy with it because a bio of his father in the "Observer/Chronicle" Page 28/17 col. B&E 1919: said his father arrived in the Neveredenna? (can't find record) in 1854; was the son of John (c1795-1897); gs of John (c1765-1874); ggs of John (c1730-1838): all from Rothesay, Sth Isl, near Kintyre. The article indicates he was born c1824 but on his m cert he says c1834! & father Hugh! But he might have been lying because Eliz Aug McL was only 16! but does not explain Hugh! Now, John jr says he was b c1848 SCT on his marriage cert and father was John, but mother can not be Eliz Aug because she was born same time as John Jr! It could only be correct if John sr arr in SA with infant son john, and his 1st wife died and he remarried Eliz Aug 8/2/1866! His history is: 1854-62 Pt. Lincoln; 1862-67 Pewsey Vale, Barossa; 1874 Mt Rufus, Bar; 1885 Dutton, Bar; 1887-1917 Morgan (near Bar); 1917-19 Glenelg. Now, in 1866 a John & Peter McIntyre & brother-inlaw Alex McDonald purch 80 acres Truro, HD Dutton, so John sr was in Bar. at the right time to marry Eliz Aug McL in 1866, purc. land same year, & have 9 children - but none named John were ever acknowledged on his bio!. There was another John McIntyre in the Bar. at that time: John (b.c1813) and Jane Potter (b.c1815) who lived at Lyndoch, Bar. However, their 1st child Wm was born in Bar. 1845 3 years before John was born in SCT! So now We have 2 John McIntyres in the Bar. at the same time - not to mention John jr  (3rd). So you see it is hard to know who is who! I spent 2day driving arround the whole area to get a feel for the district and will ponder it further. Interested to hear your thoughts. My entry said he arrived Forfarshire in 1848: John, wife, adult daughter and infant son, and thought wife was Eliz Aug McL but now think it might have been a 1st wife! Interested to hear your opinion. Cheers U106 - Steve

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again D. Further to above. It is interesting that John jr and John sr left the Barossa at about the same time: John jr to Wilcannia and John sr to Morgan on the Murray River - both in about 1885! That Eliz Aug McL was John sr's wife is not in question as she appears on all 9 of their childrens birth records! but as previously stated she might have been a second wife because John sr was 42 years old and Eliz Aug McL was just 16 years old (b.c1849) in 1866 (note! my direct line ggf was 44 and his wife - my ggm - only 18 when they were married, so it does not appear to be an uncommon thing in that era). If my hunch that John arr in 1848 with wife and adult dau and inf (not recorded what sex) then the dau could not have been his natural dau as he would have been only 24 years old himself! (unfortunately there is no further info on this record such as ages or wife/child names etc). Maybe the newspaper got it wrong about the dau being of adult age! My records show that John & Eliz Aug McIntyre (nee McLaine)'s children were: Eliza b.11/01/1867 near Truro; Mary b.8/7/1868 n.Truro; Catherine b.16/05/1870 n.Truro; Elizabeth Matilda b.11/6/1872 near Truro; Peter Duncan 6/2/1873 Reedy Creek; Hugh 10/6/1874 Mt. Rufus n.Truro (note the earlier reference to John sr's father being Hugh! maybe paper got that wrong too!) Margaret b.11/09/1876 Mt Rufus n. Truro; Dinah Augusta b.5/7/1879 Murray Flat; lily b.30/5/1885 Mt Rufus n. Truro; and Mabel b.28/8/1887 Lindley near Morgan. By the way, the John McIntyre of John and Jane McIntyre (nee Potter) of Lydoch died in 1866 aged 52 years - seems that everything happened in 1866 so that now there seems to have been only 2 John McIntyre's left in the Barossa by 1866! Cheers U106 - Steve

Offline dbingham191

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 February 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve i see what you mean Elizabeth May Mcintyre is my great grandmother i have a marriage certificate with her father and mother which is John Mcintyre and Elizabeth Mcintyre nee Hurst i going to get a death certificate next of John Mcintyre Sr to see what that give us.I have the same info in my family tree i was never completely happy i thought it was just me . Cheer Deb

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 February 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I have checked the arrival of the John McINTYRE and wife said to have arrived with an infant and an adult daughter named Catherine.
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1848ForfarshireRegister.htm

BISA has this John MCINTYRE (according to someone???)
arrived 1848 FORFARSHIRE occ: Mine Captain, Farmer
Lived at Woodside, Kingston
married in SCT to Mary nee McDOUGALL

Birth registrations show this couple were in the Adelaide Hills at various mining places where five children were born before moving to the Southeast of SA.

I cannot see any connection of the above to the two John McINTYREs at Truro.

Essie

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 February 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb. It has been about 25 years since I last researched my McIntyre line; I got as far as I was able to at the time and then put it to bed while I wrote a book on my direct ancestors, but with the info avail now I have descided to revisit it. I am now going back over 30 year-old notes and taking out my jottings which  have crept in and had me thinking they were facts, such as the dates for John sr ancestors which are only estimates according to their age when they died, which I used as a guide to help myself to evaluate other events, but are not accurate. I will strip the info back to the bare bones and let you know the re-appraised results in due course. cheers steve - U106

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb - here's the outcome of revisiting my old notes and looking at them with fresh eyes and a better under-standing of how to interpret them in view of new info to hand - Shipping arrivals: Navarino (not the Neveredenna! John must have told the reporter a name as close as he could recall after all those years!) 21/2/1856 Hugh 60y lab. from Inverness, Catherine 53y, Margaret 38y, John 30y shepherd, Peter 27y shepherd, Mary 25y, Margaret (not uncommon to name more than one child with the same name incase one dies!) 14y. Hugh - variously recorded on documents as Ewan/Ewin/Owen MCINTYRE (Hugh and Ewin are evidently synonymous in Scotland just as are Patrick and Peter) Presbyterian b.c1769 [claimed 1796!] d.19/08/1870 South Rhine (Barossa)101y; wife Catherine/Kate b.c1798-1803 d.19/07/1878 53y LeFevre (most probably at Semaphore) 80y. Children: Margaret/Peggy b.c1818 (m. Thomas Harris at Pt. Lincoln 24/05/1858) John b.c1824 [claimed 1834!] d.18/04/1919 Glenelg (m. 8/2/1866 Elizabeth Augusta McLaine at Pine Creek, near Truro, aged 16y. b.c1849 d. 24/10/1922 at Glenelg) Peter b.c1829. Mary b.c1831 (m. 05/10/1860) James Wright at Portland Estate [Port Adelaide] ) Margaret b.c1842. Hugh's father & grandfather were John McIntyre of Rothesay Argyle who died aged 109, and John McIntyre who died at the age of 108. Note! they were accompanied to Australia on the Navarino by Donald MCINTYRE 40y from Argyle (b.c1816), his wife Anne 32y (b.c1824) and children Christina 11y (b.c1845) Sarah 5y (b.c1851) Catherine inf from Argyle (b.c1855), so you would have to think that they were related somehow! Odd why the McIntyre's were fond of altering their age to suit the occasion but it is something I have found in my reseach with other branches as well! Now, as far as John McIntyre born c1848 they may still be related somehow, but just how is yet to be determined. I will let you know of further developments in due course. Cheers Steve - U106

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb. Your right about the John McIntyre who arrive on the Forfarshire in 1848! It was purely guesswork on my behalf because of the father's name and the infants age; however, they do not record the infant's age in years or its name and so it might or might not be correct for either party to lay claim to this family unless the other entrant knew because of an oral history or some other means. Also, looking back over my notes I do not have an entry that mentions an adult daughter and so will look again to see why I made that statement! Cheers Steve - U106.

Offline dbingham191

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve - U106  in Adelaide bdm i see John Mcintyre father was Hugh that show when John Mcintyre and Elizabeth Augusta McLaine marriage i also some pictures of the graves at morgan . That only if i have it right ones.Cheer Deb

Offline U106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essie & Deb. To keep the information correct, in an earlier posting re: John and Elizabeth Augusta McIntyre (nee McLaine) I listed amongst their children a Peter Duncan McIntyre b.6/2/1873 at Reedy Creek, which should have been: Peter John McIntyre b.18/05/1881 at Mt Rufus, who later married (18/11/1905 at Morgan)  Elizabeth Jane May Taylor (b.c1881). The other one (Peter Duncan McIntyre) was the son of John & Elizabeth McIntyre (nee Bate) who were married 31/10/1871 at Robe. That John, who was also born c1847/8, was the son of Duncan McIntyre, who was evidently part of the extensive McIntyre clan from the Southeast which I am tracking to see if they are connected and will advise when it is sorted out. I'm amazed at not only the number of John McIntyre's who were in the state in the early days, but also the number of McIntyre's who were born about the same time, which makes research so difficult! I seem to remember 30 years ago when I was researching John seeing an article that said a John McIntyre was the thirteenth in succession and though to myself no wonder he is so hard to track! Cheers Steve - U106