Author Topic: Argyle Lodge,Wandsworth?  (Read 5342 times)

Offline kellogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Nana and Great Grandma
    • View Profile
Argyle Lodge,Wandsworth?
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have tracked my Great Great Great Grandfather William Stuart on the 1881 and 1891 census living at the Argyle lodge stable,Wandsworth.

I assumed as his occupation was as a coachman that he may have been living in the grounds of his employer, who i discovered was James Brunlees, a civil engineer.

Anyway, i,ve googled this address and as expected nothing came up and i was hoping someone might know of where this was and what may have happened to it,especially as it was situated on a road with many other very well of people and their homes.
Belt in Hull,Yorkshire
Neave in Norfolk
Chant,Winton in London
Mayall in Oldham
Hughes in Cheshire
James in Wales
Russell in Pevensey
Tester in Buxted
Stuart in Roxburgh,Scotland
Higo in Ireland
All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Argyle Lodge,Wandsworth?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Often big houses were given as names rather than numbers. In 1881 James Brunlees is listed as at "Park Side Argyle Lodge" which made me think it might be what is now Wimbledon Park Side.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk
 - documents relating to Sir James Brunlees estate in 1892 give his address as Argyll Lodge, Wimbledon Park.

You might be able to track down some idea of where it was by looking at the census.

In 1871 Kingston Road (Holly Wood House) leads onto Park Lodge, Park Side.
The enumerator then proceeds along Park Side in the following order (many of these with "Stables" "gardeners cottage" etc attached)
Beech Lodge
Tudor Lodge
Fairlawn
Richmond House
Broadheath
Tyndale House
Castleton House
Spencer House (a school, I think "Spencer House, Wimbledon Park Side" still exists as an address that fits with the enumerator order if you look at where Kingston Road and Wimbledon Park Side are today)
Crakehall Villa
Westcombe Lodge
Gayton Lodge
Abermarle Lodge
Feldheim
Argyle Lodge (where Brunlees and his family are residing)

It must be somewhere along that stretch of road.
The house might have later been renamed, so you might have to look into local history.
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200064/local_history_and_heritage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kellogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Nana and Great Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose

Thanks for that info and those links. :)

I will have to take a wander round the area via the wonders of street view and see if anything pops out. :)
Belt in Hull,Yorkshire
Neave in Norfolk
Chant,Winton in London
Mayall in Oldham
Hughes in Cheshire
James in Wales
Russell in Pevensey
Tester in Buxted
Higo in Ireland

Offline kellogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Nana and Great Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Just took a look along Parkside Avenue and it looks to being the right road,as it is a very long road with a lot of very large houses and if you look at it from above there are houses behind which is called parkside gardens, now to figure out which might be the right one.
Belt in Hull,Yorkshire
Neave in Norfolk
Chant,Winton in London
Mayall in Oldham
Hughes in Cheshire
James in Wales
Russell in Pevensey
Tester in Buxted
Higo in Ireland

Offline Brunlees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I came across this on a google search and am not sure if anyone is still looking for any information.

The James Brunlees (or should that be Sir James Brunlees) is my 3x great grandfather.  Argyle Lodge in question was on Parkside. 

We have tried to do a bit of research on the house itself and have found the following,

The house was demolished after WWII and created into Flats (although from google street view I think the origunal entrance may still exist in the wall).  Prior to WWII the house was actually split into flats and called 68 Wimbledon Parkside.  This last appears in the electoral registers in 1953.   

I've attached two articles that my father found in the times regarding the house. 

This one is the notice of sale that we believe to be after 'Sir Jimmy's' death

This from the sale we possibly be from just before it is split into flats and includes a picture giving you some sense of the size of the house. 

http://www.maps-of-london.com/map-wimbledon.htm

The link is a old map of Wimbledon from c.1940 and the house is still on there then so I think the map is a little bit older than the website says.  It shows the sort of land that the house had.  I’m sure there is a older map out there as well that has the land for each house plotted to. 
Hope this all helps and if you want any more info on Sir Jimmy at all please just let me know.

Offline kellogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Nana and Great Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 July 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Brunlees

So sorry for the late reply but i,ve been" between" computers, but thankfully i,m back online ready to resume my geneology. :)

Many thanks for your reply to my post, it is really wonderful to actually see the grounds in which my ancestors lived in. I did,nt feel that i had located it on google so your information explains why. I,m afraid untill you have made three posts i am unable to send you my email address, but when you do if ever you do have any info that ever might mention or be in relation to my GGG Grandfather, i would definately be interested.
Thanks again.
Belt in Hull,Yorkshire
Neave in Norfolk
Chant,Winton in London
Mayall in Oldham
Hughes in Cheshire
James in Wales
Russell in Pevensey
Tester in Buxted
Higo in Ireland

Offline Sarutherf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I have been researching Argyle Lodge as my grandmother lived there in the 20s to 40s with her parents Sir Andrew and Lady Caird when it had to be sold to Wandsworth council - something to do with a nearby bombing.  I have lots of photos of the interiors at the time and maps of the plot but cannot seem to find any mention of the stables.  Let me know if you would like any more info from me but it seems you have found out quite a bit yourself already. 

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarutherf

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to their profile, kellogs hasn't been online here since Oct 2015, but as long as their email address hasn't changed, should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Sarutherf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Ok great - thank you.