Author Topic: Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman  (Read 9983 times)

Offline addison john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone researching three QUICK brothers:  James b. 1813, Thomas b. 1817 and Abraham b. 1820 and possibly their sisters Mary Ann and Eliza, all born in Uplowman.   They are the siblings of my great great grandfather, William b. 1811, who was transported to Australia in 1832, and John b. 1815, who migrated to Melbourne.

Hoping to hear from you,
Virginia
Byrne (Dublin), Cheetham (Todmorden), Crawford (Greenock),  Fielden (Todmorden), Quick (Devon, Uplowman), Watts (Cambridge), Williams (Glamorgan)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in the Quick family of Uplowman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline addison john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Bilge, we had noticed it, but figured he was not one of our Quicks. but we appreciate your response.

Regards,
Virginia
Byrne (Dublin), Cheetham (Todmorden), Crawford (Greenock),  Fielden (Todmorden), Quick (Devon, Uplowman), Watts (Cambridge), Williams (Glamorgan)

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
What is it that you are trying to find out about them Virginia?
Devon: Sloman & Parsons
Banffshire: McGregor & Ogg
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline addison john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 07:31 BST (UK) »
We would like to find descendants of William QUICK'S siblings, only one of whom we know came to Australia, ie. John.  We would love to find further cousins if they are out there.

We posted a note on the Events page about the next QUICK reunion in 2011.  This will mark the 200th anniversary of William's birth.

Offline BartyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 September 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Virginia,

I believe the sibling Abraham (b 1820) in the Uplowman Quick family you refer to was my great great grandfather and their father William could therefore be a common ancestor.

Abraham Quick served as a soldier in the 98th Regiment of Foot and married a Harriet Stuart (b1824 in Lambeth, London). They had one son, Abraham, born in Aldershot in 1867, who trained as a printer, eventually moving to Clacton and founding the East Essex Gazette newspaper. Abraham junior was my paternal grandmother's father. He is buried in the family grave in Clacton cemetery.

In the 1871 census Abraham senior was living in Tiverton and is described as a Chelsea Pensioner. He died in Tiverton on 16 April 1874.

I am trying to find any citation which refers to Abraham senior's location(s) or marriage. As his regiment was variously posted for several years at a time in India, China and South Africa, it is probable that he was not living in the UK during the period of his army service.

I am happy to share any information on this branch of the Quick decendants if you think they are the same family.

Alan.
Bartlett (Wellington, Bracknell, Fenny Stratford & London); Massingham (Langham & London); Quick (Tiverton & Clacton); Kirby (Essex)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
I have a possible connection with the family.  Thomas Ireland Quick was born in Halburton in 1834 the son of Henry Quick and Grace nee Leamen.  He married Catherine Buswell in 1862 and then emigrated to Australia immediately after the birth of their first daughter in 1863.

Halburton was another small village less than a mile from Uplowman.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline darcy of welbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Dear David, Catherine Buswell of Richard and Harriet Buswell ( Northhampshire) came to Queensland with Thomas Ireland Quick. They had 5 children here, 3 died in infancy. Catherine died in 1874 same year as last born William. Thomas remarried a Margaret Gerletta( d 1869). Daughter Elizabeth Grace married Henry Harris Dodd, - child Elise Gerletta dies epilepsy 4 years- 1896 , Henry 33 years old  is murdered 1898 while prison warder St.Helena Island. Elizabeth remarries William Hood.  Daughter Muriel Victoria Dodd b.1897 assumes surname Hood and marries Ernest Reginald Roy Ross( son of Alexander William Ross and Bertha McDonald)in 1925. Son Desmond James Henry Ross( 1934-2002) marries Heather Foote Kahler. They have 3 children and Megan Elspeth( 1962) marries the author Mark McCawley and we have 3 teenage children.  All the above is in the  Brisbane region. Qld.
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/profile/user:public:mark.mccawley

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 October 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
Richard Buswell was born 23 Oct 1790 Market Harborough, bapt 1 Nov 1790 Market Harborough Independent.  He was married at Market Harborough on 6 Nov 1817 to Elizabeth Bromwich (born c 1799 Burton Latimer, died 22 Sep 1840 at Desborough age 41). He was a blacksmith at Desborough living with his surviving children in 1841 where he died 2 Apr 1857.

They had twelve children including Catherine and my ancestor Charles

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk