Author Topic: Grace's House Whitby  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Grace's House Whitby
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have an ancestor in 1881 living at " GRACE's HOUSE " in Whitby Cheshire.

Im trying to find out what this was. was it a house cottages etc.

streets close to it are Porters Row, Grosvenor terrace. and the Canal Tavern is close by.

He is listed as a " WATERMAN " I assume this means something to do with the Canal?

Any ideas on any of this or any info on this Graces house please.

Cheers

Ant

Offline pobla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grace's House Whitby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

As a native of the area I am a bit confused!

Whitby is a district of Ellesmere Port, however this is approx. 2 miles from the streets that you have listed which were indeed based around the busy canal/dock area of Ellesmere Port.

I can't help with where Grace's House might be however the Grace family were prominent in the area and lived in Whitby Hall on 1881 census so maybe there is some connection.

If you want to provide the census details that you found it would be interesting to see if I can tie up any other streets / landmarks and find out where Graces House was/is.
Regards

Offline pobla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have checked the census and wanted to confirm that Graces House was definately in Ellesmere Port and not the district of Whitby.

As it seems so close to Porters Row I wondered if the National Waterways Museum would be able to provide you with any further information or maps etc.
http://nwm.org.uk/ellesmere/

Regards

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thank You Pobla.

I have sent them an email

Ant

Offline Annakins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ant
Googled Grace's house and your message came up - I too have family in that house - if by any chance you are related to the Howards, then any info you might have would be brilliant to help me, as I've just started looking into this side of my family, and my Nana's memory is sketchy.

In answer to your question, Graces House is definitely in Ellesmere Port, and think it was near the Boat Museum.

Hope your search is going well
Anna

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi just a thought but there is the Grace hotel (pub)which faces whitby park from the ellesmere port side. Wonder if this is any connection
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas
Rasche Johnston,
Dundee, Dingwall,Perthshire Carlisle , Ireland, Germany
Weale  , Hall
Much Wenlock and surrounding area Shropshire

Offline RobG68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I too am related to the Howards of Ellesmere Port/Whitby. John Howard Missioner 1841 is my great, great grandfather.

I can tell you that Ellesmere Port started it's life as a place called Whitby Locks, this is where the Whitby part comes from and the area now known as Whitby is at the other end of Whitby Road.......there was a road built from Whitby Locks towards Chester and where it ended became known as Whitby. The town then became well known as a port for the transportation of goods to/from Ellesmere in Shropshire. Hence Port Ellesmere which then became Ellesmere Port.

The houses around Porter's Row used to extend to where the M53 motorway now sits and in to Grace Road - I believe Graces House was there or there abouts.

Rob

Offline Cat Horushi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also a native to the area.

The grace family owned what is now called Whitby Hall. So I presume at the time they lived it it it was Grace Hall.

It's the house at the centre of Whitby Park the towns main park. Pretty much everyone knows it who lives in "The Port." The park was originally the grounds of the house I believe and therefore must have been quite a sizeable estate. The house isn't a huge stately home but it's a large house. You will be able to easily google it.

I know the house well as I used to go the "The action transport theatre company" in the 90s who has started using it then. Been in all the rooms and the basement. Loved the house even though it had lost its "home" features quite a bit by then as it has been used by the council since the first half of the 20th century.

Your ancestors must have been quite well off!

Would love to know if you get this as I know your original post was some years ago.