Author Topic: Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison  (Read 8416 times)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
I have found on the IGI the baptism of my husband's 3 x gt grandfather James McConnell on 1800 in Kirkcudbright. His parents are Thomas or Thomas David McConnell and Agnis Robison.

I have found Agnis Robison's birth in Kirkcudbright in 1777 and the marriage of her parents John Robison and Janet Donaldson in 1776 also in Kirkcudbright.

What I can't find is Thomas McConnell's birth, his marriage to Agnis and any siblings for Agnis. As all of Thomas and Agnis'  8 children were born Kirkcudbright between 1800 and 1818 I am presuming that that is where they married.

Can anyone help with some look ups please.
Thanks in advance

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Emeltom,

My GGG Grandparents were Thomas McConnell (abt 1780-1844) and Agnes ROBERTSON (abt 1778-1844). They had the following children that I know of -

John b. abt 1803, d. "Montriel" 1839
Janet b. 1810 Kirkcudbright
Mary 1812-1814
Alexander b. 1815 Kirkcudbright
George b. abt 1818, d. 1820
Thomas (my GG Grandfather) b. abt 1825-1826 Kirkcudbright

Only today I discovered  that Thomas and Agnes are buried in Kirkcudbright Cemetery.
Same family?

Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, regarding the burial of Thomas & Agnes in Kirkcudbright Cemetery. The  inscription on their headstone reads as follows.

Erected by Thos. McConnell & Agnes Robertson,Spouse, in memory of Mary,
their daughter,who died 9th March 1814,aged 15 months. Also George,
who died 16th Feb.1820,aged 2 years. Also their son John,who died
22nd April 1839, in Montriel,in her Majesty's Service,in 24th Regt.,
 aged 36 years. Also the above Thomas McConnell,who died 13th Jan.1844,
aged 64 years.Also the said Agnes Robertson,spouse of the said
Thos. McConnell,who died 25th December 1844,aged 66 years.

Rgds Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Canisp,

Yes I think it may well be the same family. The Familysearch  Record Search site comes up with the following info

James 1800 son of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison
John 1802 son of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison
Thomas 1804 son of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison
William 1807 son of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison
Janet 1810 dau of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robertson
Mary 1812 dau of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison
Alexander 1815 son of Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robertson
George 1818 son of Thomas Davis McConnell and Agnes Robison

There is also a baptism for an Agnes Robison in 1877 parents John Robison and Janet Donaldson aand a marriage for John and Janet in 1776. All events took place in Kirkcudbright.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Robison/Robertson bit but am presuming that they are one and the same and it was don to local accents that the mistake was made. I have one family in Cheshire where the bride's name is on the IGI as Yurzley but the name was actually Yearsley!

It's Thomas and Agnes's first born James who I am interested in. For whatever reason he moved to Wolverhampton in Staffordshire where he married a local lass and raised a familuy. In the 1861 Census his sister Janet is living with the family and although she gives her year of birth as 1812 andf not 1810 I am sure I have the right family. He even named some of his children after his siblings and one daughter was called Agnes.

I am very interested in taking the McConnells and Robison/Robertsons back further so any info is welcome.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Matt, that was the Kirkcudbright MI info I discovered yesterday  :).

Emeltom, definitely same family. However I am beginning to doubt that my GG Grandfather Thomas was actually the son of Thomas and Agnes. He was born about 1826, 8 years after Geeorge, when Agnes would have been about 48. All the census's do point to him being born in Kirkcudbright and his death record shows his parents being Thomas and Agnes. However I also discovered this in my notes taken from Ancestry.com -
1841 Census -
Name:     Thomas McConnell
Estimated birth year:    abt 1829
Where born:    Ireland

Civil parish:    Kirkcudbright
County:    Kirkcudbrightshire
Address:    Kirkcudbt High Street
Parish Number:    871
Neighbors:    View others on page
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Jane Adams    65
Thomas McConnell    55
Agnes McConnell    55
Janet McConnell    25
Thomas McConnell    12

The above ages are a little out but that is not uncommon. I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment but maybe someone can confirm that Thomas, Agnes and Janet were all born  in Kirkcudbright?

Canisp
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Matt, that was the Kirkcudbright MI info I discovered yesterday  :).

Emeltom, definitely same family. However I am beginning to doubt that my GG Grandfather Thomas was actually the son of Thomas and Agnes. He was born about 1826, 8 years after George, when Agnes would have been about 48. All the census's do point to him being born in Kirkcudbright and his death record shows his parents being Thomas and Agnes. However I also discovered this in my notes taken from Ancestry.com -
1841 Census -
Name:     Thomas McConnell
Estimated birth year:    abt 1829
Where born:    Ireland

Civil parish:    Kirkcudbright
County:    Kirkcudbrightshire
Address:    Kirkcudbt High Street
Parish Number:    871
Neighbors:    View others on page
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Jane Adams    65
Thomas McConnell    55
Agnes McConnell    55
Janet McConnell    25
Thomas McConnell    12

The above ages are a little out but that is not uncommon. I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment but maybe someone can confirm that Thomas, Agnes and Janet were all born  in Kirkcudbright?

Canisp

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Canisp,

It does seem to lokk as though your Thomas is from a different family.
Unfortunately I can only access the English and Welsh Censuses. I don't subscribe to Ancestry or Scotland's people so I can't help there. That's why I put the post on the Board, in the hope that some kind soul with the appropriate subscriptions would do a few look ups for me

Emeltom

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Canisp,

I've been rooting about on Google and came across this site

www.old-kirkcudbright.net

One of the items it has are deaths in Kirkcudbright for part of the 1800's and I found the following entry which fits with the info from the headstone

13 Jan 1844 Thomas McConnell abode High Street Male age 65 Cause of death Consumption

The only entry which might fit Agnes just says

22 Dec 1844 Mrs Connel Female age 66

This must be the same Thomas McConnell you have on the 1841 Census and they were living on High Street

Emeltom

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Emeltom,

That will be our Thomas and Agnes then. Looks an interesting site, must bookmark it. I am just back from Kirkcudbright, I am down this way on holiday until Friday. Managed to locate Thomas and Agnes's headstone. It is in need of a bit of a clean to make most of the inscription legible but I took a photo anyway. If you would like a copy PM me your e-mail address and I will send it when I get home on Friday.

Cheers,
Canisp.