Author Topic: Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison  (Read 8417 times)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Canisp,
Just a thought, could the 12 yr old Thomas born Ireland in the 1841 Census be a grandson of Thomas and Agnes?

He's not James' son as I have him in England in 1841, but three of Thomas and Agnes's other sons are old enough to be his father. Another direction for you to look in perhaps?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Emeltom,

Yes that is a possibility. I was thinking he may have been a nephew of Thomas and Agnes. Whatever the relationship it looks like he has been raised as their son as stated on his death record in 1916.

Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Canisp,

I was wondering if he might be the child of Thomas and Agnes' son Thomas. I have found a marriage for a Thomas McConnell to an Agnes Hamilton in Hamilton, Lanark on 27 Feb 1825. My Scottish geography isn't up to much but the map tells me that Hamilton is some way from Kirkcudbright but I have learned that with families anything can happen!
Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 August 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom,

It's another lead that may be worth following up. I've just e-mailed you the headstone photo so hopefully you receive it ok.

Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)

Offline annemr108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 March 15 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello to those who have replied to this post and thank you for sharing the information.

I am researching Thomas David McConnell who was married in Jamaica in 1857 and died there in 1911. He was born around 1830.

He had a sister, Thomasina, born around 1837.

We don't know where either child was born, but an oral history about Thomas David suggests he spoke with a 'Scottish brogue', sang "Annie Laurie" a lot and his parents caught a ship from Jamaica to go home and were never heard from again.

Do you have any missing members of the family who may be the parents of these two people?

Thomas David and his wife, Elizabeth Smart Haughton Reid, named their children:
- David George
- Mary Georgiana
- Thomasina Rebecca Susannah
- Milborough Millicent
- Thomas Charles

Thanks for any consideration you can give to my search.
Kind regards
Anne
Australia

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 March 15 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have any more details other than what is already in this thread.