Author Topic: George Frederick Taylor & Christian Frederick Taylor Cousins??  (Read 9863 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Frederick Taylor & Christian Frederick Taylor Cousins??
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda:

the broadbridge girls are the sisters of George Frederick Taylors (1815-1892) wife. She was Caroline Truth Broadbridge. Once she died GF Taylor married MaryAnn Broadbridge.

I know you thought Christian Fredrick Taylor died 1844 in Clerkenwell but isn't he still alive at his sons wedding at St Martins in 1847?  I thought he was more likely the Christian Frederick Taylor who died 1900 at age 91?

Thanks
David

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is no question on and English and Welsh marriage certificate which asks whether the father was deceased. It was the practice of some officials to ask for the information and place it on the certificate, or if the information was supplied place it on the certificate. This was far from standard practice. Many officials did not ask the question or place the information on the certificate even if given the information (since there was no question which asked it). Therefore to not have the word deceased on a marriage certificate means nothing and is no guarantee that the father was still alive.

I haven't seen the full entry of the 1847 marriage certificate for Christian Frederick junior only an index with no details of father given. As I stated on a previous post

You would have to purchase the certificate to obtain information on Christian's father or else contact Westminster Archives.

This death registration

Deaths Mar 1900   Taylor  Christian Frederick  91  Hackney  1b 360

would go with this baptism that Ian gave

Christian Frederick TAYLOR born 10 Jun 1809, and baptised 25 Nov 1810 at St James Westminster. His parents are listed as Christian Frederick TAYLOR and Sarah

Christian Frederick Taylor junior who married in 1847.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying Valda.. I must have gotten lucky because on all my marriage certificates where the father is deceased, it says deceased! Thankfully. .. For some reason this isn't allowing me to post the photo of the Certificate..I'll post it in a new category called Christian Frederick Taylor marriage,

DAVID

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 August 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Ok, sorry, I'm a bit slow! I just realized I was confusing CF Taylor the elder and the Jr! If the elder died in 1900 he'd be over 120! I'm still perplexed with the wife Sarah vs Susanna though... The IGI isn't being much help

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

For copyright reasons we do not allow full posts of certificates on Rootschat but do allow partial posts, usually when posters are trying to decipher a section of the certificate.

Taylor is an extremely common surname.

http://www.taliesin-arlein.net/names/search.php

At this point the Office of National Statistics rates Taylor as the 4th most common surname in the country after Smith, Jones and Williams with Brown coming in 5th. ONS estimates a present population of 306,296 Taylors.

In 1821 London had a population of 1,379,543. The population of the whole of England Wales was 12,000,236.
New York city's population in 1820 was 123,706 and for the whole of America 9,638,453

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,403512.0.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

There would therefore be a lot of Taylors in London and the London area in 1821. Since there would be a lot of Taylors you would have to expect more than one Christian Taylor in London. Christian would be a more unusual first name but not a rare one. With more than one Christian Taylor in a very large city with no necessary connections to each other you would expect more than one Christian Taylor marriage with more than one Christian Taylor wife. 

What is the information from records (the 1847 certificate states father Christian Frederick Taylor) for this statement?

I found a descendant of Christian Frederick Taylor on Rootschat. He states that C.F.T.'s father was named Christian Taylor (b cir 1775) and his mother, Susanna (b cir 1779)..

The baptism previously given by Ian

Christian Frederick TAYLOR born 10 Jun 1809, and baptised 25 Nov 1810 at St James Westminster. His parents are listed as Christian Frederick TAYLOR and Sarah

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1204024901500#start

Regards

Valda

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 August 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda. The certificate has the father as Christian Frederick retired coachman.  I am finding Christian was a much more common name for women in the 1800's

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 August 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Christian was usually a female name in the Middle ages but by the C18th was used for men as well (Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progess in 1684 may have made it more popular as a boy's name)

Regards

Valda

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:56 BST (UK) »

Christian Frederick Taylor gave his age as 61 on the 1841 census. On that census he stated (written clearly as N) he was born out of County - i.e. not born Middlesex. His death certificate would also give his age.

Deaths Jun 1844   TAYLOR  Christian Frederick     Clerkenwell  3 88

The evidence of the 1841 census alone (which is not always accurate on ages) gives his birth year as circa 1780.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence as yet placing Christian Frederick senior's marriage to Sarah in Westminster. As he was born out of county he could have married before arriving in the London area. There doesn't seem to be any evidence as yet that he had any connection with Hackney. Between 1804-1813 he was in St James Westminster. Between 1818-1824 he was in Holborn. 1841-1844 Clerkenwell.

Hi Everyone.. I've been spending lots of time on ancestry, familysearch and pilot search trying variations of Christians and Cristians etc to see if i could find a birth record for this person cir 1780-1785 to no avail. I can only assume these records have not been digitized or heavens forbid, no longer exist! Can anyone recommend a next step taking into consideration I'm not in England? Hiring someone? ???

Thank you
David

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where and what would you direct them to search? You usually hire researchers based on their area (particular area of the country) or type of record in a particular repository (e.g. military in The National Archives). If you have a specific lead you want a researcher to follow then could be a possibility to hire one.
Not every line is immediately solvable and it is particularly difficult to place people in London who died before the 1851 census. However further C18th parish registers are being indexed in the London area via Ancestry (not yet available though the images of many of the parish registers) and through Family Search which is increasingly indexing new parish records across the country. Further indexing will produce more and more records but bare in mind some counties are very poorly served by the IGI (the lowest coverage is almost in single figures) and some have much better coverage.

Regards

Valda