Author Topic: J.W.Stephenson & Sons (Hull) Limited - Haulage Company Barmston Street, Hull  (Read 3814 times)

Offline smetheringham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

Looking for any information on .JW.Stephenson & Sons (Hull) Limited - A haulage company located in Barmston Street, Hull, then in Westmoreland Street, Hull.

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: J.W.Stephenson & Sons (Hull) Limited - Haulage Company Barmston Street, Hull
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi , i remember Stephensons well, stivvy,s, we used to call it, i used to live just round the corner , what would you like to know?, cookie.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline smetheringham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: J.W.Stephenson & Sons (Hull) Limited - Haulage Company Barmston Street, Hull
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cookie - I am after any photos or information etc on JW Stephenson the haulage company who operated 1900's until 1950's and not L.Stephenson Coachbuilders, who occupied the Westmoreland Street site.

Any snippets of information would be welcome.

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
 A lot of Stephensons seem to have been coachmakers .. mine were father & son William Stephenson coachbuilders at Doncaster .. 1780 - 1820 or so. A grandson .. also William .. married at Cottingham just north of Hull in 1838. This latter William is found at Stoneferry, Sutton Parish (1851 census) .. down as a wheelwright .. and came to Canada in 1854.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
The Stephensons yard was in Barmston Street, opposite Bromley st, where i used to live, it was a haulage firm, my dad worked for them when he was a young lad, during the war, he drove a horse and rully. I remember they used to have a big firework disply, every bonfire night for the kids in the area, that's about all i can remember. Cheers, Cookie.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline smetheringham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

since found this http://www.paul-gibson.com/photography/landscapes.php

Offline Artfoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Although I never knew my father (he died when I was year old) my mother told me he worked at Stephensons. He also drove a horse and rully. I have I think somewhere in my possession one of his grooming brushes. I don't know if he worked for them during the war as he died during the war and at the time of his death he worked for Corporation. My mother did tell me that during the war before his death he would transport some of our neighbours to a farm at Coniston for safety when an air raid was imminent I don't know if he was employed by Stephensons at the time or Corporation .We lived close to the East Hull Docks

Offline astepglos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I am the great grandson of JW. Unfortunately when all of the 'Sons' died none of their children wanted to carry on the business. The business was in fact still trading into the early 80's but in a limited way. My father remembers walking under the cart horses when he was very young and taking them down to the horse wash. Stephenson's had the first lorry in Hull of which we still have the photo's - Andy

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
There is a small amount of info here in the 3rd Paragraph:

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/21st-april-1944/24/financial-news-of-the-industry

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU