Author Topic: Maritime Connections  (Read 69677 times)

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Great stuff nickr ,Saves me a lot of work sorting out the sailors from the census. I think the last list is of those who applied for Discharge Books at the beginning of WW2 . Many form both lists went on to take part in some notable events in both World Wars. You will note also that everyone in Fisher's Row and most in The Faythe  was involved with the sea.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
The 1901 (and 1911) census available (free) and can be searched by name, address (townland or D.E.D.) as well as occupation.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
In a Lloyds register dated 1843, Wexford appeared as one of the busiest ports of the United Kingdom. A writer in 'The People' of August 1945 visited a local sailor armed with the list and was rewarded with the following information.
The Lloyds representative or surveyor at Wexford in 1843 was Mark Devereux.
ALICIA a schooner was a vessel of 73 tons captained by Mr. Quirke. A story was told that she was involved in the rescue of the passengers and crew of a Glasgow ship which was lost off the Barrells Rock. Some time later apparently, the ALICIA was recognised on a trip to Glasgow and the incident recalled. Local ship merchants raised funds by public subscription and presented a schooner called PANDORA to the Wexford skipper.
The DENIS CARTY was last skippered by Captain Tom Walsh and she later served as a coal hulk in Newport.
The smack, HENRY, owned by Devereuxes, captained by Ambrose Butler sank off the Barrels Rock . . The schooner, MARIA, sank off Hook Head.
MARIA, MARQUIS OF ELY, MARY (a smack) and the MICHAEL WICKHAM were all laid up off Ferrybank at the end of their useful lives and were broken up by storms and tides.
The schooner, STAR, ended her days in the Cresent. RAMBLER ran ashore in Rosslare Bay and was wrecked. Another schooner, ROVER sank in Llanelly Bay, while Sea Flower was sold on to Dun Laoghaire. SWIFT, another schooner sank in Dundrum Bay while bound from Wexford to Glasgow with a cargo of beans. The TIGER broke her back on the Blackwater Bank and COMMERCE was lost on the Wexford bar.
In 1830 the schooner AUSPICIOUS was built at Bannow. She was owned by J. Morris of Wexford and traded between Waterford and Dublin. NATIVE, of 119 tons was built at Wexford in 1834, she was owned by C. Archer and skippered by Captain Codd.
One Wexford shipyard stood at the present Church Lane car park and another at Kaat's Strand at the bottom of the lane almost opposite Westgate.
Wexford port had 3 vessels named PROVIDENCE, 2 HOPES, 2 MARY and 2 UNION.
The ship WEXFORD was of 254 tons and with a local crew under Captain Patrick Kelly of North Main St., she traded between Wexford, London and Bermuda.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
The vessel "Alicia" that saved many of the people from the "Glasgow" was commanded by Captain Martin? Walsh a relative of the famous Lanigan Walsh. The shipyard at Church Lane was Hingstons.

Offline ShelleyByrne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
hi nicky ,

my name is shelley byrne and am lookin for information on my great grandfather , his name was Richard (Stephen) Crosby . he was a sailor and lived in 14 William Street before Moving to Carcur Cottages ,His Wife's name Was elizabeth , his brother Thomas Crosby also worked as a shipwright

Offline yurtdweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i am trying to find out more about my Great great uncle Nick the Rattler Fortune from Wexford. I read an article about him in the Kilmore Key museum. He was a crew member on a ship launched in Glasgow 1880 ish.It was a four masted Barque and he was a young man. The article said that he delivered the captains child and that this child didn't walk on land till he was two. There was a picture of my uncle and the crew. I thought the ship was called the Mozambique but I could be wrong.

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 November 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Rattler was certainly on the Mozambique but I fear you misread the article .It was the ship's mate who delivered the child. Otherwise everything is correct.

Offline RoseC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections -Denis Carty
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,
I'm descended from Robert J Carty of Birchgrove - the origional owner of the ship  Denis Carty - .  The ship is mentioned in his will - per information I have received from fellow researchers.  Do you have any addtional information on the ships he owned - I believe there was one other named Mary ?? (after his wife).
I've also heard Robert J Carty owned a large (10 room) house on the Wexford Quay.  Would you know of any way to find information on the house.
Thank you for any information you can provide,
Rose Carty

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
What dates do you have for Robert's ownership of Denis Carty ?.Below are the details I have of her registration . It would appear that Robert owned her before 1847.
."DENIS CARTY"
Built, Newport, Mon.1833. sch. 87 tons male f/head.
Reg. at Wex. 1834, (J .Connors , master .) 1872 & 1885.
Owners, Timothy. Gaffney (1847)
Robt. Smith & Thos. Devereux. (1854).
I               Thos. Hutchinson  (1885)
In Oct. of 1886,he sold  16 shares to John Tyghe. and 05 shares to James Marlow.
July, of 1886 ,he sold  06 shares to Simon Lambert.
Tyghe sold his 16 to John Hutchinson in July 1888.
Thos Hutchinson to John, Aug. 1893.
Thos Hutchinson died admin to Wm. Hutchinson.
John Hutchinson died Dec. 1903. admin to Mary Hutchinson, Sth. Main. St.
James Marlow died Oct. 1894. leaving his shares to Cath. Kearns.