Author Topic: Maritime Connections  (Read 69548 times)

Offline Endeavor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon,

I was very surprised to come across this site.  My grandfather was Captain George Murphy, and my father was John F Murphy both of The Faythe.  Captain George's parents were John & Mary Murphy.

My grandmother's father was so seafaring and his name was Carty.  He was in a tug boat rescue in the middle of the 1800(s). 

Captain George (dob? 1856) and my grandmother Elizabeth (Nellie) Carty (dob 1900) both passed away within a month of each other in early 1940.  Captain George captained 'Mary and Gertude", "Fleetwing" - 1918-1920, "Edith May" and owned "Princess Louise". He also commanded the "Lunesdale" and the "Elaine Anne" to London as a delivery to new owners.  I am very interested in any Martime history of Wexford and am eager to read and share information that I have compiled through time.

Thank you for your insight. 

Offline Endeavor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Murphy (of Hill St) was with Captain George as they left Wexford on 27 Dec 1918 carrying 175 ton of coal to Nothern Wales.  They ran into a very bad storm on 20 Jan 1919 and James Carroll, the first mate, passed away.  I imagined this to be a most challenging experience for even the most seasoned.

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a small point Endeavor, It is highly unlikely that they were bringing coal to Wales. It would be like bringing sand to Saudi Arabia. More likely ,sailing from Wexford they would be in ballast. But I will check out the details of the trip tomorrow and get back to you.

Offline Endeavor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,

You are correct...please see the post below. 

Offline Endeavor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
You are 100% correct! I re-verified and they had just PICKED UP 175 Tons of Coal on the Fleetwing!  Thanks for paying attention! :-)

Also I wanted to add, those that recovered, did so in the Caernarfon Bay Hotel, where they were looked after a Mr and Mrs Todd.  There was an investigation and the storm was blamed for their troubles.

Thank-you

Offline Endeavor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 February 11 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much - I am very new to this.  I also only just discovered that the Fleetwing was listed at the beginning of this tread by Nick90.   :)

Fleetwing: reg. at Wexford 1902. Built at Banff in 1874. 78 ton, 2 mast schooner of 85 feet. Owner: J.J. Stafford, merchant and ship owner. Wrecked Carnarvon Bay 1919.

Left Wexford: 17 Dec 1918
Wrecked:        20 Jan 1919

The other part is that I have Caernarfon Bay not Carnarvon Bay. 

The Wexford Mariners I have were Captain George Murphy (The Faythe), Tim Murphy (Hill St), and First Mate James Carroll.

Thank you very much for your help.

Offline dugansbrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Endeavor,
 I myself am new to this and found this sight researching my family history and was so surprised to find your posts.  I live in the USA and my great grandparents were George and Nellie Murphy. Their daughter Kathleen Finn was my grandmother and her daughter(my mother) is Violet(Elizabeth).  I do not have much information to pass on as I have just started my search, but hope to learn so much more. 

Offline RoseC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections Denis Carty
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this posting regarding the schooner Denis Carty.

My sources are from an article "Robert Carty of Birchgrove" published by Jim Doyle in the Wexford historical journal.  Mr. Doyle states that at the time of Robert Carty's death in 1836 he owned a sloop "Mary", a schooner "Denis Carty" and these were sold the same year as his death.   

Since the ship was built in 1833 at Newport (from records I have found on line that show Lloyds Register British and Foreign Shipping)  it leaves me to assume that Robert Carty of Birchgrove had the ship built and retained ownership until his death.  Denis was the name of both Robert's father and his son.  Mary was the name of his first wife. 

His three grandsons (Robert J., William F., and John) all came to the United States sometime in the late 1840's early 1850's.  I have been unable to determine if their father Denis Carty (son of Robert of Birchgrove) remained in Ireland or also came to the US.

Thank you for posting what you have so far - it is helping to fill in some of the gaps in my family story.
RoseC

Offline moleym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

Just a point of clarification - Captain George Murphy married Elizabeth Carthy had 6 children .... John, Kathleen (my mother), Vera, Marcella, Elizabeth and George.  All now deceased.

They lived at 25 The Faythe.

An earlier post by nickr90 shows that in the 1901 census, 25 The Faythe was occupied by John Francis Murphy but there is no mention of George Murphy who was born 1856/7 and so would have been about 45 yrs old and presumably living elsewhere at that age, but where?

He is then posted as living at The Faythe at the time of the wrecking of the Fleetwing in 1919 on the Welsh coast.

I believe he married Elizabeth Carthy in about 1920.

Anymore information from anyone?