Author Topic: Maritime Connections  (Read 69714 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
I can find A Michael Boggan age 27 in 1853 born in Wexford aboard the Wexford registered vessels ATLAS and TORRENT In the second half of 1854 he made at least one voyage in the Wexford Registered ship UNDINE
You can check out if it is your man by looking at the vessels crew agreements available from here.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=wexford&_cr1=bt98&_dss=range&_sd=1853&_ed=1854&_ro=any

Re JAMES BAINES you can check out her 1854 crew agreements available from here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4068195

details of the return voyage maybe catalogued under 1855 this is in piece BT98/4201

Crew agreements should give you last address NOK and previous ship.
There is a Patrick Boggan born Wexford 1814 mentioned in LCR seems a full career record from 1859 -1874 Don't know if this is of interest to you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jpm271

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

New to doing this kind of search, to narrow down what they copy and send to me, would I just put the name of the ship or is there a way to find out what pages I would need from each?

I can find A Michael Boggan age 27 in 1853 born in Wexford aboard the Wexford registered vessels ATLAS and TORRENT In the second half of 1854 he made at least one voyage in the Wexford Registered ship UNDINE
You can check out if it is your man by looking at the vessels crew agreements available from here.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=wexford&_cr1=bt98&_dss=range&_sd=1853&_ed=1854&_ro=any

Re JAMES BAINES you can check out her 1854 crew agreements available from here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4068195

details of the return voyage maybe catalogued under 1855 this is in piece BT98/4201

Crew agreements should give you last address NOK and previous ship.
There is a Patrick Boggan born Wexford 1814 mentioned in LCR seems a full career record from 1859 -1874 Don't know if this is of interest to you.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
You would be best served by a personal visit to Kew however I understand that this is not a possibility for many people, so you will have to use TNA research services.
 I would first of all target the vessel JAMES BAINES  Give Piece number, ships name and official number 25764 and the dates you require. Her outward voyage was 9th Dec 1854  arriving Feb 24 1855. Homeward voyage March 11 1855 arrived May 20th.
Both Crew agreements will be in the 1855 series BT98/4201
I would leave the crew agreements of the Wexford ships on the back burner for the moment.
You have a positive that he was on board JAMES BAINES from the newspaper article. This was a well known vessel were as the Wexford ships were only coasters so there is more chance the documentation re JAMES BAINES being readily available.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW Welcome to Rootschat.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Not all Wexford sailing ships were coasters. There was a substantial trade between Wexford and Galatz in Romania
 for grain 1833- 1883. There was also ships trading to Savannah Georgia, passengers out and cotton back to the UK. Plus Wexford ships also traded to Canada's Maritime Provinces, usually for timber . Among these ships were 'Hantoon' lost in the Bay of Biscay, the 'May Queen' ,the 'Alert' lost homeward bound from Galatz in 1881, the 'Saltee' lost on Wexford Bar, homeward from Canada and 'Woodkee' . These were some of the vessels  owned by Devereux.  Then the other big Wexford ship owners were Allens . Their deep water vessels included; 'Breeze' , ' Forth' ,' Wexford' 'Spray' 'Emerald and 'Brothers' .Both companies had other vessels deep water and there were also individual owners. There are records of at least one Wexford ship attacked by pirates in the West Indies.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 24 July 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Not all Wexford sailing ships were coasters.

No one is suggesting that all Wexford register ships were coasters. The fact is all the vessels I mentioned, ATLAS, TORRENT and UNDINE are all listed in Lloyds Register 1854 as making coastal voyages in that year.
I was mealy pointing out that " You have a positive in that he was on board JAMES BAINES from the newspaper article. This was a well known vessel,  there is more chance the documentation re JAMES BAINES being readily available."

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry Seaweed ,it appears I misunderstood your comment that 'as the Wexford ships were only coasters' . Thought you were referring to all Wexford ships. I should remark that newspaper articles, obituaries etc can not be taken a gospel . I once followed up on an obit that stated the person in question had sailed on 'Cutty Sark' but despite  fairly intensive research could find no reference to him in ship's articles . I have found similar  problems following other obits and articles from papers.

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know anyone know any details about John Butler a sailor from Wexford who was murdered in  "Galatz" Romania in 1856!

I don't know if this John Butler is one of mine I just wondered if there is a story behind the murder.
Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information of Ambrose Butler b1836 (son of Laurence Butler b 1796  and Margret Connelly) Ambrose was married twice,  his first wife was Mary Ann Hendrick and I cannot find the record of her birth despite looking through the parish records. Ambrose's second wife was Catherine Hewson born 1843 (daughter of Captain Peter Hewson of Maudlintown), it appears the Butler and Hewson families lived next door to each other.

Attached is a report of one of Ambrose's near misses in the Henry.
Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline Neilok64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks nickr90 for posting the maritime connections

Walter Butler 1854(quay porter) in the list is my great uncle x3,the 1901 & 1911 census have him in Bride street with his family and Grandson John Walsh 1909 mother Bridget Butler it says on one of Walters records born Talbot st,is that now where the Talbot hotel is?.

Small file is a screenshot of part of the family tree,kindly sent to me by Barbara.