Author Topic: Francis Giblin died 1950 New York  (Read 1918 times)

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Giblin died 1950 New York
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more about Francis Giblin, He was born in Roscommon Ireland in 1894 but emigrated to NY in 1924. He lived in Manhattan with a lady called Rose Gaffney (landlady or friend), and died after a long illness in 1950. He's buried at Calvary Cemetery.
I'd be very grateful to hear from anyone who knows anything about Francis' life in America, or his relationship with Mrs Gaffney.
Thank you!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Giblin died 1950 New York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen.

Francis Giblin appears in an anc..try tree - possibly yours - with a wife Alice and 3 children.
The family - Francis, Alice (Wynne), Margarett and Annie appear on a 19 Aug 1924 passenger list - SS Scythia - going to sister Catherine Wynne, 524 Myrtle Street, Scranton. PA.
Margaret seems to die 2005 in London and Alice in 1998 Co Mayo, the child born in 1925 New York - Francis died in Roscommon 4 months later. Did Alice and the children return to Ireland ?

The WW2 Draft for Francis Giblin (born 1 Aug 1894 Roscommon) mentions Rose Gaffney as the person who will always know him at 166 E128 Street.

Unfortunately there are no census after 1930 - unless someone could find City Directory entries which show Francis and Rose together, it may not be possible to unravel the relationship between the two.

Have you contacted Calvary Cemetery to see if they can give you any information on the burial of Francis ?  Is he the only one buried in the grave ? Or did he marry Rose and she may also be there ? May give details of who organised the funeral !!  ???

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
Great detective work! Yes, that is my tree on the website mentioned.
I did contact Calvary and they gave me a list of who's buried in the grave: Francis, Rose's daughter and Rose's husband, Patrick. No idea why Rose isn't there, I don't know what happened to her, but of course if Francis is buried there it must mean that his relationship with Rose was something special. It's so frustrating being so close to the truth but not quite there yet!
Thank you so much for your efforts in any case, much appreciated!
Helen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Did they give you the date of death for Patrick ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
They gave Patrick Gaffney's burial date, which was April 17, 1926. The daughter, Mary Rose, was buried January 5th 1945, and Francis was buried October 13th 1950.
So poor Rose lost everyone close to her by the look of it - I've found no evidence of other children. Very sad.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to Alice Wynne ?  Perhaps they never divorced so he could'nt marry Rose.

This must be Rose on the 1930 Census Manhattan, New York,

Rose Gaffney 34 Widowed. Proprieter of Boarding House
Mary Gaffney 7

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
As far as I know Alice and Francis never divorced.
I suppose we'll never really know what happened.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is intriguing - even more so that Rose is the one not buried at Calvary.  Sorry I could'nt be more helpful on this one.  :(

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Do you have a marriage date and place for your Francis Giblin and Alice Wynne?
Alex