Author Topic: Swinford as surname  (Read 4573 times)

Offline swinford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Swinford as surname
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 05:41 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any families in Mayo have the surname "Swinford."  I can live with the fact that the name doubtless describes a place where the pigs can cross the river, but a number of folks in the USA have that surname (like me.)  I plan to visit Swinford in a couple of months and hope not to make too big a fool of myself.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Swinford as surname
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 05 07:54 BST (UK) »
Katherine Swinford married John of Gaunt in 14?? she was the sister in law of Geoffrey Chaucer and her descendants became kings of England.  So Swinford is a fine name!  (Not her Swinford descendants! but she had some).

Have fun on your trip!

Frances
FB

Offline swinford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 05 19:47 BST (UK) »
Frances,

Thank you for your reply

John Swinford
(possible unacknowledged King of England)

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
My pleasure, your Highness.

Frances
FB

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 April 05 11:39 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Hi Swinford,

My 'Dunn(e)'s came from Swinesford (as it was then known) circa 1848) viz:

"SWINESFORD (now SWINFORD) is a market town on the River Moy.  It lies in the parish of KILCONDUFF, in the barony of GALLEN, in the county of MAYO, and the province of CONNAUGHT, 15 miles from BALLINA and 140 from DUBLIN.

Founded in the late 18th century by the English Brabazon family, SWINFORD was probably named after a town on their Leicestershire Estate. However, another theory suggests  the name derives from a large pig fair which was held there. The Irish name for Swinford , "Béal Átha na Muice", means "the mouth of the ford of the pig".

;D ;D ;D

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline swinford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 05 04:45 BST (UK) »
Mobo,

Thank you for your reply.  I will be visiting Swinford around the end of May, and will take the pigs as they come.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 05 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John (King John I mean), ;)
just realised our ancestors would have been neighbours in the 19th century - my Irish lot come from Ballaghderreen, the parish of Bohalas Mayo/Roscommon (that's as much as I know).  From what I read about Irish history you would have been rich indeed to have a pig.

Hope you have a good visit - tell us about it when you get back.

Frances
FB

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 August 05 09:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any families in Mayo have the surname "Swinford."  I can live with the fact that the name doubtless describes a place where the pigs can cross the river, but a number of folks in the USA have that surname (like me.)  I plan to visit Swinford in a couple of months and hope not to make too big a fool of myself.

Hi Swinford,

did you manage to visit the 'old country' yet, or find out if there were any other folk named Swinford ?

;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)