Author Topic: Farm names in census  (Read 3897 times)

Offline azcoyen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farm names in census
« on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        I am new to Roots chat, hoping someone may be able to help me with research. My father was Ernest Alun JONES, born 1915 at "Glangwydderig Farm" in Llandovery. This farm still exists on Brecon Road.
Dad's parents - William Jones, farmer, born Llanfihangel,1870. Died Chingford, Essex 1941.
William married Anne WILLIAMS. Born Lampeter in 1874 died 1960 Chingford, Essex.
The Williams family farmed "Achethisaf" according to the census.
William Jones' parents were Daniel Jones born 1830 Llangeler, farmer at "Gellidewisaf" married Rachel Anne MORGAN born 1832 at Llangeler. Daniel's father was Daniel Jones born 1796 married to Anne ? born 1796.
Anne Williams parents were John WILLIAMS born 1843 in Llanycrwys who married Anne DAVIES 1845 in Llanycrwys. Davies & Williams farmed "Wernlwyd" from 1841 to 1901 census.
John's parents were Daniel Williams 1806 and Anne ? 1812.
Anne Davies parents were William Davies and Mary ?

Is anyone else researching this family ? Or could tell me how to research the farm's history.
Thanks so much - Gail

William & Anne Jones - Glangwydderig Farm, Llandovery.
John & Anne Williams - Achiethisaf.
Anne Davies, Mary Morgan - Wernlwyd.
Daniel Jones - Gellidewisaf.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Farm names in census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
http://beta.peoplescollection.co.uk/Home
Hi Gail,
         The above link will give you an option to zoom in on the map to Abergorlech; Acheth Isaf is off the B4310 road, on the left of the road going North West. It is not named on the first map you see, but the map menu gives you the option to view the area, at the same scale, on the 3 different editions of the Ordnance Survey map. On the older maps the three Acheth farms are to be seen, Isaf (lower), Ganol (middle) and Uchaf (upper). My interest is that my 4xgtgrandfather, surname Thomas, farmed there some 100 years before your family, no doubt as a tenant.
          I don't know who owned the estate, but the National Archives have recently put maps online here:

http://labs.nationalarchives.gov.uk/wordpress/index.php/2010/04/valuation-office-map-finder/
which might enable you to get some kind soul to do a lookup for you, as the records themselves are not online, and need a personal visit.
         The only alternative I can think of is to contact Carmarthen Archives and ask their advice; of course there is probably someone here on RChat who can give you much better advice.
                             Best of luck,
                                                     Pinot  :)

Offline azcoyen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information and link. Very helpful in plotting where various family farms were.
Gail
William & Anne Jones - Glangwydderig Farm, Llandovery.
John & Anne Williams - Achiethisaf.
Anne Davies, Mary Morgan - Wernlwyd.
Daniel Jones - Gellidewisaf.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,
     Just in case Acheth Isaf was part of the Buckley estate I googled acheth buckley and found this:
http://www.archive.org/stream/annalsantiquitie01nichuoft/annalsantiquitie01nichuoft_djvu.txt
It's a very long document and I didn't finish searching it, but you may be more persistent.
                     Best of luck,
                                          Pinot