Author Topic: Passenger lists Tasmania 1841  (Read 8147 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists Tasmania 1841
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 August 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi TBL
The Henry Page (eldest son of Charles Robert ), who arrived Launceston 1801, is probably the person listed in BISA (Biographical Index of South Australians) – arrived in SA from Tasmania 1845 aboard the ‘William’; residence Magill; wife’s name Sarah née Pankhurst; only one child listed: Charles Robert Page, though I know there were more. Henry’s wife Sarah died Adelaide 1849. You mentioned that Henry Page arrived in Tasmania with two children. So far I can’t find a marriage for him in England.
Ian

Offline tasbornlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 August 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian
I shall write more asap, but for now, yes Henry would be listed in South Australia.
He was the elder of the brothers who went to Tasmania. He is listed as being 27
and Sarah as 25 years. Sorry can't help with marriage detail. To quote the 1991
publication I have: "It seems that elder brother Henry and his wife Sarah, along
with their children Theodore, Eliza, Henry and Emily left Van Diemen's Land for
South Australia in 1845 and settled at New Tiers near Adelaide, South Australia.
Sarah died in 1849 and Henry remarried eventually settling in New South Wales."
So if two children listed on List of Emigrants, two more were born in Tas. When
I have more time I will check Pioneers Index to see if I can pick them up. More
information to follow when I have a little more time, bit rushed at the moment.
Cheers TBL (wife of a descendant of Charles Robert in Tas - meaning the one
as born 1813).

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 August 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
Henry appears to have been in the Adelaide area at the very time when his cousins James, William H, and Horace arrived in South Australia aboard the 'Jane' in 1851. I wonder if they met? James rapidly established himself in the shipping business and became vice-consul for more than one country. He had a fine house in Mitcham, SA and was instrumental in founding SA's first national park. He died in 1913. Horace and William H seem to have vanished. Another brother, Thomas, arrived in South Australia later in 1851 ... he too vanished. The best efforts of many kind Australian Rootschatters have failed to locate them! Look forward to hearing more about CR Page's descendants in Tasmania, etc.

Offline TopEndResearcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I have done some research on this family for a good mate of mine. My records show that the 4 brothers  arrived on the Andromeda. I have Henry Page moving to Adelaide with his family and having Theodore Adolphus, Eliza Simmons, Henry Orlando, Henry, Emily Amelia, Charles Robert, Sarah, Theodore Edward Charles and Henrietta Matilda. Henry Orlando married Hannah Button and there were 8 kids and I know the descendants of that family. Florenece had a colouful life and I have that story too. Don't know what happened to the other kids of Henry and Sarah. And ZI don't have details of the Ts family - but I know there is a booklet done by a family historian

Offline DarrenPage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
is anyone out there still looking for information on this family?  I am one of many descendants of the 5 Page brothers.  I have just found this string of messages. There seems to be quite a bunch of questions being asked, a number of things that need some clearing up as well.  I have found loads of good info about all 5.  Somebody wrote that one of them brothers arrived in Launceston in 1801... that isnt right.  40 years before his other brothers?  Just doesnt work, sorry.  But the name that was used was Henry, well he and William, Henry, James and John, some with wives and kids all made the trip in 1841.
anyway... just popping my head above the trenches... let's see what everyone has.  It looks like a few years since the last post here...   I hope to hear from someone, maybe you have some more info for me that I can add to mine.  I have loosely tracked the Page line back to around 1100, and pretty definitely back to 1600's.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren, I saw your posting to the Page / Tasmania thread that has been dormant for some while, and I'm certainly curious about your interest in this Page family. It was five sons of Charles Robert Page (and Sarah Carley)  who who sailed to Launceston, Tasmania, aboard the barque  'Andromeda', which left London 1 May 1841 and arrived Launceston 30 August 1841. There was Henry, Charles Robert, James, William George and John. I'm assuming that you must be a descendant of one of these.

Their father, Charles Robert, was one of the brothers of my ancestor, Henry Page. I know this because of a complex court case. My interest in this Page family, therefore, is in the Page family earlier than my 3 x great Grandfather Henry. As you will know, Henry and his brothers (and a sister, Hannah) were children of Thomas Page and Susannah Middleton

[One of the sons of Charles Robert, also called Charles R, was like his father a sawyer by trade. Charles married Rebecca Lewis in East Wickham, Kent 14 April 1833. I find the baptismal record of one child born in England: Jane, christened 12 Jan 1834, Dartford. Thomas Middleton Page was their eldest son, born 14 Oct 1835, East Wickham, Kent. This child's middle name clearly remembers Susannah Middleton]

A problem I have is that, although I have baptism details for the rest of Thomas Page / Susannah's children, I can't find the one for Henry, my ancestor. The 1851 census records that he was born in Charlwood, Surrey, though I find no record there. Henry died in London, 1851 aged 'about 66'

Do you have any information about Thomas Middleton's origins? Or anything about his wife? I believe he and Susannah may have been illiterate, signing their marriage certificate with a X. He seems to have travelled about quite a lot, and one theory is that he may have been an exciseman.

I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you know about the family of your ancestor Charles Robert and my ancestor, his brother, Henry, and their forebears. I would, of course, be happy to share with you what I know about the family. Look forward to hearing from you IAN

Offline DarrenPage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Ian...
Just sent your message to home email so i can answer you better. Please send me an email to darrenpage@dodo.com.au

Cheers