Author Topic: Stevenson's from Bannockburn  (Read 74252 times)

Offline cntrygrl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 September 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
I just stumbled upon this thread and was encouraged to see someone else researching Stevensons.  My husband’s gggrandfather was Alexander Stevenson( bc 1806) who married Janet Eva Campbell (bc 1807)  6 Nov 1825 St. Ninians.  This is the only record from Scotland that I have found and would dearly love to know more about Alexander.
They emigrated to Canada in about 1834 according to Canadian census records, and had their first 4 children in Stirlingshire. They are: Robert bc 1827, Ellen bc 1828, Janet bc 1831, and Alexander bc 1833. The rest of the children were b Canada: Andrew, Elizabeth, James, Peter, and Mary.  There are probably others that we don’t know about.
We think Janet Campbell’s parents were Peter Campbell and Margaret Lessels.
Does anyone know anything about this family? 

With thanks

Canada census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Liz C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 February 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, i just stumbled on this site the other day & couldn't believe i wis readin bout my own family. William Stevenson & Elizabeth Duffin were my g grandparents - their eldest child Elizabeth (Lizzie) bein my grannie. I started looking imto my family tree years ago (then kinda gave up) and I got loads of info from my grannie before she died. I;ve also got some birth/marraige/death certificates (well copies) which I wrote down and kept. for instance i can confirn that elizabeth duffin was born 22nd jan 1893 & she married wull on 26th jan 1912 - my grannie was born april 13th that year. I'm no great wi computers but if anybody has any more ?'s I'l try n answer them
Wull & Elizabeth had 7 children in total - lizzie, william, james, joseph, david, john (died in infancy) &mary. there was also talk of a twin dying but i'm not sure if that was john or another one?

Offline Liz C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 February 11 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, i just stumbled on this site the other day & couldn't believe i wis readin bout my own family. William Stevenson & Elizabeth Duffin were my g grandparents - their eldest child Elizabeth (Lizzie) bein my grannie. I started looking imto my family tree years ago (then kinda gave up) and I got loads of info from my grannie before she died. I;ve also got some birth/marraige/death certificates (well copies) which I wrote down and kept. for instance i can confirn that elizabeth duffin was born 22nd jan 1893 & she married wull on 26th jan 1912 - my grannie was born april 13th that year. I'm no great wi computers but if anybody has any more ?'s I'l try n answer them
Wull & Elizabeth had 7 children in total - lizzie, william, james, joseph, david, john (died in infancy) &mary. there was also talk of a twin dying but i'm not sure if that was john or another one?

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 February 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
cntrygrl.
That's an interesting post you have made here. Your g g g grandfather Alexander, born 1806, could well have been a brother to William Stevenson, born 1802. William was my g g g grandfather and a direct ancestor of Hazel and Liz C.

Liz C.
Great that you have found this site.
I would be very interested in anything that you can add to the Stevenson family info.
Photos are great things to have so here's hoping that you have some.
A photo of your parents and grand parents would be brill.
You will have noticed that there is a problem with the birth dates for your grandmother Elizabeth on 13th April 1912 and her brother William on 15th September 1912. They are too close together so I think one of them is wrong.

Looking forword to hearing more from both of you.

Cheers.

Robert.

Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Liz C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,
thanks for gettin back to me. I agree that the dates are way too close together but I'm sittin with William & Elizabeth Stevensons marraige certificate in front of me and they def got married Jan 1912 I remember my grannie sayin to me that 'it did go on then but it wasn't talked about'when I said to her they were cuttin it fine. lol For some reason I dont have a copy of my grannies certificates (birth or death) but I'm hoping my dads got these. Iv not got any dates bout my grannies siblings except that Joseph died Jun 1982 & Mary b oct 1933 d may 1980 Could william have been b 1913 by any chance?
As I said I got info fae my grannie (some could be wrong I suppose) & I recorded it all and kept it wi the certificates. Don't know if I've got many pics but again I can ask my dad bout them

Liz

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 February 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz.

;D I wasn't talking about the date gap between the wedding and the birth of Elizabeth, I was pointing out the short gap there is between Elizabeth's birth and the birth of her brother William.

Info that you can pass on from the marriage certificate includes....

Who did Elizabeth marry.
Who were his parent's.
What was his mother's maiden name.
What were their addresses.
How old were they.
Where did the marriage take place.
Was it Church of Scotland or another where the Banns were called.

Do you have a scanner?
If not then I would be more than happy to scan, copy, enhance or restore any old photos that are relevant to the family tree.

Cheers
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 February 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have been trying  to find out more about cntrygrl's Alexander Stevenson c1806. If you know or can find out who his parents are would be a great help. As i can't find a connection with Alexander into my Stevenson's it could be because their mother's maiden name is different on each certificate. I have found someone's family tree but it says he was born in Glasgow but that could be a mistake.

Also hi Liz,
My Great grandad was William Stevenson b1912. Elizabeth is William's sister. Like Robert said it's good to take as much info from the certificates as possible. I've still not went to see my aunty again really need to go so i can get some pictures. Went a bit off track for a while been doing abit of research on my Davidson connections as i found some records for them. But i am still trying to do my Stevenson side would love to hear what you do know about them.

Thanks hazel

Offline Liz C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 February 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
aye April to sept is a very short time!!!!!
I'll try & explain as much dates etc with what I've got. Hope you can understand it.
My dad is Alexander Walker Montgomery b 26/01/1939 at 8 Roxburgh Row Cowie
His parents (my grandparents) were Robert Montgomerie & Elizabeth Laird Stevenson m 30/12/1932 Ladywell Manse B/burn - after Banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland
Robert was 23 his address given 25 moubrey row cowie Parents being Alexander Montgomery & Jessie Davidson
Elizabeth was 20, address Sink Cottages, Parents William Stevenson & Elizabeth Duffin
William stevenson b 11/07/1892 d 26/02/1958 (10.30pm) Parents William Stevenson & Mary Forsyth.  Not sure of dates but his addresses have been Sink (birth-1912) Newmarket (1912-?) Sink Loan Cottages (?-?) Berryhill Cowie (?-death)
Elizabeth Duffin b 22/01/1893 d 15/09/1971 (10.15am) Elizabeth was born Broad St Denny Parents being Joseph Duffin & Elizabeth Laird (birth-?) Moubray Row(?-?) Newmarket (1912-?) then addresses as William
William & Elizabeth were married 26/01/1912 at Murrayfield U.F Manse B/burn after Banns according to the forms of the United Free church
Dont know where or when William & Mary were married (abbreviated birth cert for William so doesn't say) but Joseph & Elizabeth Duffin were married 25/02/1883 in Falkirk.
Hope this is of some help to you for now - my heids gettin pickled wi aw these dates etc. I have got a scanner but as I said I'm no to hot wi the comp etc but I'll get thebairns to scan in the pics & certificates I'v got in the next couple of days
Cheers Liz

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 February 11 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

I can help you out with William Stevenson (b 9/2/1864 bannockburn) and Mary Forsyth (b abt 1806) they were married 13th April 1885 at the house Bannockburn. William's address is Sink and Mary's is Auchenbowie.
William's parents are Alexander Stevenson and Janet Armstrong.
Mary's parents are John Forsyth and Mary ? can't make out her maiden name. William and Mary's marriage certificate is on ScotlandsPeople.

Alexander Stevenson (b 1844 bannockburn) and Janet Armstrong (b 1844 bannockburn) they were married 20th April 1866 at Craigford Parish of St Ninians. Alexander's address is Bannocburn and Janet's is Craigford.
Alexander's parents are William Stevenson and Jean Cowan.
Janet's parents are Robert Armstrong and Isabella McLauchlan.

William Stevenson (b abt 1801 Stirling? d 3/11/1879 Bannockburn) and Jean Cowan (b abt 1803 Stirling d 16/9/1869 Bannockburn) they were married 9/2/1834 St Ninians.
William's parents are James Stevenson and Janet ? (Could be Peters, Prettis, Pretice etc seems to be different with every record i look at).
Jean's parnets are Adam Cowan and Mary Stalker.

Hope this helps you a bit
Cheers Hazel