Author Topic: DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY 1920-46  (Read 3339 times)

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY 1920-46
« on: Friday 13 August 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a tribute website dedicated to those men who served with the Durham Light Infantry from 1920-1946.If you had any relatives who served at this time and you would like them remembered let me know a little about their service together with a period photo (uniform) and I will gladly add them to the section `Who Proudly Served` Any DLI related photographs(again of the Period) are always of interest especially those where they are named.Have a look at the site perhaps someone you are looking for is already there..if he was awarded a Gallantry medal he will be listed.Have a look at
http://durhamlightinfantry.webs.com/
Dig out those DLI photographs!

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY 1920-46
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Nice to see  :)
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Just further to my original post if you come across any Durham Light Infantry Photograph drop me a line named ..excellent..un-named still of interest if its Durham Light Infantry related lets have it scanned and posted.
Would love a better photograph of the following person who I have just featured on my site .
4449902 Pte Thomas Richard Thornthwaite served with both the 1st and 2nd Durham L.I
Thomas Thornthwaite was born in June 1916 in Gateshead but moved to Jesmond after his mother died, as his father worked at Vickers Armstrong. After he left school, Thomas worked as a butcher’s boy and other jobs until he decided in January 1933 tojoin the Regular Army.

After basic training at the DLI’s Depot at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne, 4449902 Thomas Thornthwaite was posted to the 1st Battalion DLI at Catterick. In February 1935, he was sent as part of a draft to join the 2nd Battalion DLI in India. After service in the Sudan, he joined 1 DLI in 1937 and sailed for China.During his time in China he was stationed in Shanghai ,Tientsin and Peking as part of `D` Company 1st Durham Light Infantry.

When the Second World War began, 1 DLI moved from Tientsin to Hong Kong and then in January 1940 to Egypt. Thomas Thornthwaite served with the battalion in Egypt and Syria, seeing action against the Vichy French,thoughout Wavells Desert Campaign and then in October 1941 moved to Tobruk.

After serving with 1st DLI on Malta, Thomas Thornthwaite was sent home to England in late 1943 as he had been overseas since 1935. He then was posted to the DLI’s Depot at Brancepeth. In early 1944, Thomas Thornthwaite was posted to the 8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, then training for D-Day. He landed in Normandy on 6 June 1944 and was wounded by  a mortar bomb blast near Tilly sur Seulles. In 1946, Thomas Thornthwaite was demobilised from the Army and was granted a pension. Thomas Thornthwaite lived in 86 Southview, West Denton, Newcastle upon Tyne NE5 2BQ.He died in 2008

Best Wishes
Jim

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a tribute website dedicated to those men who served with the Durham Light Infantry from 1920-1946.If you had any relatives who served at this time and you would like them remembered let me know a little about their service together with a period photo (uniform) and I will gladly add them to the section `Who Proudly Served` Any DLI related photographs(again of the Period) are always of interest especially those where they are named.Have a look at the site perhaps someone you are looking for is already there..if he was awarded a Gallantry medal he will be listed.Have a look at
http://durhamlightinfantry.webs.com/
Dig out those DLI photographs!

The link is no longer valid as I have moved hosts . The new website is at;-

https://durhamlightinfantry1920-46.weebly.com/

Anyone with photos /stories from 1920-46 please get in touch likewise anyone with queries regarding soldiers who served with the DLI please contact me if I can help I will :)

Thanks

Jim

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff Jim, keep up the good work.
regards SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline DR400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim! I hope is well with you and your family. Very glad I came across your post re. DLI. I have been trying to fill in some gaps to my Uncle Bob (Robert McIntosh) who emigrated to South Africa back in the 50's/60's.
Looking through old photographs I came across these three. The most recent one was taken in September 1973 at a DLI reunion at Durham Cathedral. The second one with Uncle Bob sitting on a wall is annotated "Somewhere in Belgium January 1945". The third is a group that I cannot identify but maybe you or someone else can. It would be wonderful to have some info of his activities with the DLI.

Many thanks for your time, Alan

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 20 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,might be an idea to contact Jim direct on his site which is well worth a visit,as Bob was in Belgium in 45 likely he served in the 6/8/9/10th or 11th battalions where was he from pre war?
https://durhamlightinfantry1920-46.weebly.com/
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 November 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Alan

The first photograph has a Christmas Tree in it and he appears to be sitting in Santas grotto ?  Bit early if this is September :) The medals are 39 - 45 Star, France and Germany star , Defence and War Medals plus Territorial Efficiency Medal . Service with 6th / 8th/ 9th DLI would have the additional Africa and Italy Stars ?  He was in France and North West Europe in 44-45 but with whom?

The bottom photograph is definately DLI and taken in 1939-40 the pre war service dress is the give away together with the vehicle  in the background.Possibly in France or on exercise pre war? Do you know his service number?
 The second photograph could give you a bit of a puzzle ,although a little small to be 100% sure . but is that a set of glider pilot wings on his left sleeve?  Also the 6th /8th/9th /10th and 11th were all home /disbanded by November 1944 ? The 9th DLI were in Germany with 7th Armoured Division?  Cannot see clearly enough to be 100% sure regarding the sleeve but DLI were not in Belgium (as a unit) in 1945 ?  Service records are the only way to be sure the story of the Durhams can be found on my website but if he left them for another unit it may lead you on a false trail?
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Hello Stevej60 good to hear from you again!

Best Wishes

Jim

Offline DR400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim and Steve.

Many thanks for you replies. Some really good information which I will now try to follow up. I will report back.
Alan