Author Topic: Searching Harold Sladen  (Read 10645 times)

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching Harold Sladen
« on: Saturday 14 August 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
I am desperately looking for info regarding my uncle Harold Sladen. He left Liverpool, England aboard the Virginian on 29th of April1910.He died in Montreal, 18th January 1977.I remember as a child a parcel arriving from him, it was just after the war ended. We, (Mum was his sister ) also received a letter from him about 1948? and his address on that was St Lawrence Blvd. I am not sure about this but I think the number was 1760. I was just a young child at this time so I could be wrong. I don't know anything about him other than what I have mentioned.
Would greatly appreciate anything at all about him.
Ena.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Harold Sladen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 August 10 03:21 BST (UK) »
You never gave his age, parents, etc...???
No evidence of him in earlier years Montreal after 1910 arrival..so I'll let you look for him yourself, first choose serie principale, then date, then alphabetical listing...start with 1913. You can also look up the street directory to see who owns the premises
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 August 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the actual passenger list.   Sometimes people get confused and assume that because the ships destination port is Montreal that people stayed there.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=76182
There is a Harold Sladen on the 1911 census in Saskatchewan.  Also one in British Columbia with a similiar age but immigration year of 1900.
On the 1916 Prairie census Harold Sladen is living in Langenbury, Saltcoats, Saskatchewan and occupation is general merchant.
Harold Sladen 35, b. 1881 Eng. Immigration 1910
Caroline Sladen 36, b. 1880 Eng. Immigration 1911 wife
Herbert 6 b. Eng. son
Cecil 5 b. Eng. son
Arthur 3 b. Sask. son
Lilian 1 b. Sask. daughter
It doesn't mean that in later years the family didn't relocate to Montreal.  What area of England did he originally come from as sometimes you can find clues in later travels between Eng. and Canada.

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 August 10 04:06 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 August 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Probably one of those individuals with more than one Christian name as this seems like a good possibility.

The Saskatchewan Sladen family moved into the Kelowna/Salmon Arm area of British Columbia after Harold's death Aug 20 1932 Saanich, BC.  He was s/o John Heath Slader and ? Evans.  Wife Caroline Emma Sladen d. Nov 21, 1978 Kelowna, d/o Edward Chapman and Sarah Evans.  Both were born Salcombe Eng.

Son Harold Cecil Evans Sladen died Kelowna.  This site gives more information on all these deaths.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ga/

Added:
Caroline Emma Sladen with Herbert and Harold travelled on the Lake Manitoba from Liverpool to quebec arriving June 19 1911.  Destination Yarbo Sask - to husband, grocer

Debbie

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 August 10 04:49 BST (UK) »
Cosmac,
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately this is the wrong Harold.  Harold did have two christian names, his second name was Philip. He also was just a young boy on the voyage out,about almost 15 yrs old.Young hey!On the Passenger list it states that on the the ship "Virginian" the passengers were bound for Quebec or Montreal.
Thanks again. I will keep on hoping that something turns up!!
Ena.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 August 10 05:09 BST (UK) »
Does this match

Sailing on the Montroyal from Antwerp 13 July 1927 to Quebec arriving 21 July 1927.  Occupation seaman.
Harold Philip Sladen, 31, single, b. Liverpool.  In Canada between 1914 - June 1927
Home address 11 Gosford St. Montreal
Sister in Britain - Eden Hosking 113 Betlestreet Liverpool

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 August 10 05:13 BST (UK) »
there is a Form 30A for Harold Phillip Sladen with a clearer recording of his sister's name
Edith Hosking of 113 Butler St. Liverpool

Debbie

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cosmac.
You have hit the nail on the head. That is him. Edith Hosking was my auntie Edie, his eldest sister. Both his parents had died by1915. I am thinking that maybe he was a crew member on the way out from England. But then he woudn't be on the passenger list would he?.I have vague memories of a photo of him in Army uniform, first world war. It is so good to know a little about him.
Now I will try to find out about him in later years. I tried the Canadian census but had no luck.Maybe I was looking in the wrong province, but I have only known of him as living in Montreal.
I can hardly believe in this short time I have found him.Just shows you what you can do when you know the right sites to go into.I am a novice at this, still got my L plates on!
Thanks again for your help.
Ena.